• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR Batch Crop, overwrite original files?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am currently trying to find the best way to achieve a big task; I have a large number of photos for a client (2500) that need to be be cropped into a square image, but currently all these images all vary in their aspect ratio. In order to avoid upsampling and cropping each image individually in photoshop, I've found a script that will create a 1:1 aspect ratio by adding white margin to the short side of the image.. that's the easy part.

SO, I am left with images that have a 1:1 aspect ratio, but now that white space needs to be cropped out. This is where I need help.

I was trying to achieve this in ACR because it will allow me to custom crop multiple images while preserving the 1:1 ratio. I need to be able to control/adjust the crop if needed, so auto crop or a same-crop script will not do. The problem is, that because ACR is parametric editor, it does not allow me to overwrite my existing jpegs. The program creates a copy and adds a "_1" to the end of EVERY file and, regardless of any numbering already created from my Photoshop image processor. This is an issue because I already have the correct file names + numbering from the previous processing in photoshop.

I have looked all over the web, and have found some very helpful info, yet, I am just on the cusp of trying to achieve it. I am inexperienced with Photoshop scripting, so I do not know if there may be a better way to achieve all of this at once. Really the main issue is just that my files need to have a specific nomenclature, and ACR is ruining it and making extra work for me! Is there any other program that can achieve a batch cropping of this caliber while allowing overwrite? I know there are a lot of programs out there that can batch crop for me - however the specific functionality I require from Camera Raw is the ability to control each crop manually when necessary, while maintaining the 1:1 ratio (the images are all so different that I literally need to see the crop to ensure it's okay)

Is there possibly a better way to do this? or even to somehow bundle all of these processes together?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few random thoughts…

• Photoshop offers a 1:1 crop option, so no need to use a script to add white to pad out the image.

• I don’t understand how removing the white areas of a 1:1 (square) cropped image will result in a 1:1 image, as it would no longer be square?

• For “best form” I would suggest using the cropping script to output to a lossless compression format, rather than a JPEG file, as you are making a JPEG from a JPEG, which is not ideal (however there may be very little visible difference if you are lucky).

• If you save from ACR to a different folder, the unwanted “_1” characters will not be added (then move the files back, overwriting the originals).

• Even if you accept that you must create copies, it is very easy to remove the unwanted “_1” characters using the Batch Rename tool in Adobe Bridge (obviously moving or deleting the previous files so that there are no conflicts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines