Copied

Test Envirment:

CC2018+ACR11

NikonCaptureNX-D1.5

First:

1.I Use Nikon Raw not compress format

2.Ps open use Cameraw,workspace select Protophoto RGB,16 bit channel

3.ps select work in Protophoto RGB

4.Save as jpg,Srgb,select as bellow select high quality!

I comapre acr +ps  jpg and nx-d jpg in ps,I add a curve adjustment layer above the photo to monitor, as you can see below is ps jpg

Follow is acr+ps jpg ,Acr is default set

评测-ps-jpg.jpg

following is nx-d default set ,export jpg,that so smooth,no urgly

评测-ps-捕影工匠分析.jpg

Just found out by my own test

I use following method:PS and nx-d all first export TIF(16),then save as jpg test.

1.With Nikon NX-D   D750RAW- > TIF (16bit) - - > Ps save jpg, there is no problem in saving jpg.

2.With ACR (16bit)D750RAW - PS --TIF (16bit)--->PS save Jpg, that is problematic

CONCLUSION:

The problem is in Cameraw decode for d750 Raw file.

ALL source raw and jpg file in my baidu cloudy  you can download,

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1zKUixpIeCmGZcIyFe043Lg

I hope Cameraw team can resolve this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

The NX-D images have more noise grain and this breaks up the color transition along a smooth gradient such as the sky in your photo.

Adobe isn't going to change anything.  You can set your own ACR defaults with NR at much lower settings if you want, although zero is too low if you are using ACR for normal, non-rainbow-gradient images:

Besides turning down NR so you have excessive noise grain, you can also just add noise using the Effects panel in ACR:

Or use Filter / Noise / Add Noise in Photoshop,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A jpeg has natively only 8 bit depth, with lossy compression on top, and banding is just the nature of jpeg - unless some very clever tricks are applied to conceal and disguise it. Yes, it looks impressive out of NX, but it's probably some kind of post process dithering.

IOW, the ACR example here is how I'd expect a jpeg to behave natively, regardless of software.

I'd be more impressed if you could show the same difference on a 16 bit TIFF - ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I write before,NX-D and ACR all use default parameters.

1.With Nikon NX-D   D750RAW- > TIF (16bit) - - > Ps save jpg, there is no problem in saving jpg.

2.With ACR (16bit)D750RAW - PS --TIF (16bit)--->PS save Jpg, that is problematic

Compare NX-TIF,PS-TIF look as same,but they all chang to srgb and save as jpg look so different

Following is TIF Compare

look  and check more similar

Compare tif.jpg

Following is JPG Compare

Have more different,NX-D is Fine,ACR is ugly,so reason is Acr have problem!

Compare jpg.jpg

YOU can get source file from my google driver:

NikonD750-Color-Break - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you get the color grandient bands across the same areas of the image it's not quite a fair comparison, but from what you do show, I'd say the noise-reduction of ACR results in larger areas of sameness than the noise-reduction of NX-D.

Attempting to download the files shows a popup in Chinese with a QR code (to download a phone app? no thank you) and/or requires filling out a form in Chinese.  If you can upload your files to use a website like dropbox or googledrive or onedrive that allows downloading without signing up or using an app, ok, but otherwise your files remain off limits to those of us who don't read Chinese or trust whatever service you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.I compare is same size .

2.you can see below and NX-D and ACR are all use default paramers and no any change export tif 16bit ,then use ps save them  to jpg.

So NX-D is Fine,ACR is ugly,so reason is Acr have problem!

YOU can get source file from my google driver:

NikonD750-Color-Break - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn down the Color Noise Reduction, from a default of 25 to maybe 5 for this image and the sky gradient will have smaller blotches:

Here I'm using a Posterize Adjustment Layer to create bands of different colors to examine the size of the color grain:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you ssprengel

I use your method to set the Color Noise Reduction, from a default of 25 to maybe 15 and even to 0,and color smooth from 50 to 100,that be much better then before,but compare with NX-D Jpg still have a gap.

color-reduce15-0-nx-compare.jpg

I hope acr can imporve or fix this problem when load d750 raw file.

Adobe Camera RawAmy_WongWoojin​ !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing a potentially bigger problem with the NX version: the left and right sides of the tower don't match up, and there's a sticky downwards smudge effect near the edge.

That tells me NX takes liberties with the data in order to produce a "pleasing" result. In my first post I suspected some sort of "post process dithering", but I now think it's a lot more than that. This is a cosmetic touch-up.

I prefer my data straight up, not tampered with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NX-D images have more noise grain and this breaks up the color transition along a smooth gradient such as the sky in your photo.

Adobe isn't going to change anything.  You can set your own ACR defaults with NR at much lower settings if you want, although zero is too low if you are using ACR for normal, non-rainbow-gradient images:

Besides turning down NR so you have excessive noise grain, you can also just add noise using the Effects panel in ACR:

Or use Filter / Noise / Add Noise in Photoshop, itself:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank your professional reply.From the result to compare nx-d give us more impression

as  photographer,I had better to use nx-d to proceed  more simple and easy.

final-result.jpg

ssprengel​ !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines