• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR - where did 'Save New Camera RAW defaults' go? I used this all the time!

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot motor sports. I do 90% of my PP in ACR. At an event, I will frequently move from location to location and this obviously changes the light and therefore the ACR settings change each time. I therefore use the 'Save New Camera RAW Defaults' each time I open the first image shot from a new location (or whenever the light changes). This saves me time when processing all the shots from each location as subsequent shots open up with the settings already applied and so I need only tweak things rather than start anew with every image.

Having applied the latest ACR update however, it seems the 'Save New Camera RAW Defaults' option has vanished. I am unable to save a set of default settings each time the light changes. So far, the only way I have found to recall the settings used last time is to pull down the relevant menu and choose 'Use Last Conversion' for every single image.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to save new defaults with the latest iteration of ACR? I simply can't believe this very useful feature has been removed!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm  bit confused to your use of the camera RAW defaults and that you change them.

I set it and forget it for each camera I own presently or in the past. They are just Basic Default settings I want applied to each and every photo I take with each specific camera I've used. Just because the lighting might change from image to image or year to year (whatever time) doesn't mean I change the Default settings for that camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are missing the point, when I open an image I do not want Adobe to apply any sharpeing nor do I want any noise reduction. In previouse iterations it was possible to set your own parameters quite easily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not want Adobe to apply any sharpeing nor do I want any noise reduction."

That should still be possible. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JustShoot Me.. I have been an advertising shooter since 1990 and started on photoshop 2. I have been managing my owm color workflow and composite work i have depended heavily on "save as new camera defaults" removing this is really dusrruptive. Spencerphoto was asking a valid question... I had a brand shoot for a cosmetics brand last week and was cursing Adobe for changing this for not having it was dissruptive for the entire shoot and today, when i should be starting my post work, I gotta figure out how to remedy this. its costing me money. its like going into a tool and die shop and changing the postion on someone's drill press. 

@Spencerphoto if I figure it out.. i'll let you know.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think what the OP needs is Lightroom, where you quickly and conveniently synchronise a large number of files.

ACR is really more appropriate for single images one at a time. For volume work, Lightroom is superior in more ways than I can begin to mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you SpencrPhoto - The responses do not address you question.  I'll add to your question -

WHAT HAPPENED TO APPLYING PRESETS TO DIFFERENT ISO's AND DIFFERENT CAMERAS?

I work with 3 cameras and had different presets for all the ISO's I use for each body.  Previousely I could open any image and have my basic presets applied (especially Sharpening, Noise Reduction, Tone, CA, etc). 

Working with hundreds of images from a assignment without the ability to apply my basic adjustments automaticially to specific ISO images is bad foresight on Adobe part. 

Case in point - you have an 10 image sequence that your working up in ACR - you may have 2/3/4 different ISO ranges - having to adjust each from a starting point for each image is counterproductive.  Imagine doing this for over and over aging for each sequence 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree with you, and I've raised this concern several times.

It's still possible, mind you - but it's not as simple as it was. Here's how:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/important-update-lightroom-classic-to-9-2-read-the-... 

The relevant parts start near the end of page one and through page two.

This refers to Lightroom, but the procedure is exactly the same for ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D,

thanks to D_Fosse's posts I got through the programming quite swiftly, and I couldn't agree more that this is not our job at all. When you buy expensive software you would not expect to be doing this.

I have created an xmp-file with pretty precize corrections so the images from my 5D mkiii are pretty similar from 200-1600 iso. I typically mix them together to create 1 new image, so I need them to be similar in grain and detail.

If you want I can send you my code.

Best from Amsterdam, Thijs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly change settings while shooting then evaluate the Raw images as I work through my shots. Sometimes a Raw default works for an entire job sometimes I make adjustments throughout my color correcting process. So easy to just save new camera Raw default and move on. Do software companies just hire people who justify thier jobs by changing what is working instead of adding new features? This is going to slow my workflow way down.  Mission acomplished meddling douches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. They made a useful feature into an annoying pain in the rear. Why couldn't they have kept the old, convenient way of saving defaults, but integrated a new management system behind the scenes for folks who wanted something like that? Never mind losing all my existing defaults with no warning.  Really big screw up here Adobe. Never been so close to switching!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed,

eliminating "save new camera raw defaults" has made my entire workflow slower and clunkier. Whenever I add a new user preset, I actually have to restart Bridge to have it load or preview thembnails. In General PS 2022, is a HUGE step backward and toward a consumer type software. In the meantime does anyone know of a quick way to change camera raw defaults and get them to immediately preview in Bridge? I've been using PS since 93, 2022 is the worst update I've encountered. It's absolutely cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to PS 2022 on a Mac. "Save new camera raw defaults" is now missing. From what I can gather, the new process involves saving a preset, restarting Bridge and then going to preferences and selecting that preset to have the thunbnails in Bridge use those camera raw settings. It's a bit ridiculous. My editing is takes way longer now. Being able to create a camera raw default on the fly and apply it to your current project was super fast and helpful. The new process is clunky, slow and cumbersome. Please bring back "SAVE CAMERA RAW DEFAULTS"

I don't have any use to preview my images in bridge with a general "Camera Setting" every shoot is different and I need to make my selections while viewing each specific shoot with an appropriate preview. Has anyone found any work arounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might try posting on the original feature request: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-restore-save-new-camera-raw-defaults-button/idi-p/... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines