Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AdobeStadard/Color gives more acurate colors than Passport Color Checker

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Since couple of months I'm having a problem using Passport Color Checker. Everytime I make profile it tints my images towards yellows which is not accurate. White balance is the same in both images.
Here is the example:
test1.jpgtest2.jpg
I've tried every combination of profiles, depends on lighting conditions there is a small difference but yet Passport Color Checker kills all natural reds and tints shadows/midtones.
I've created a profile in Lightroom and gives the same result.
I have a good Eizo monitor to check colors but I've ran out of ideas what might be the problem. I've even made dual profile but does almost the same.
I shoot with Canon 5D Mark IV

Thank you in advance

Thank you for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system? Windows is notorious for bad monitor profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it isn't necessarily 'more accurate' since the only way to gauge this is to measure the scene and compare the output. What you are saying is you prefer the rendering from one profile versus the other custom profile. Fine. Keep in mind that White Balance is totally independent and separate from these profiles. They are by design WB agnostic. 

When you WB as desired, knowing now that this is necessary, do you still prefer the original over the custom profile? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done eveyry possible comparision on my calibrated EIZO 2730, white balance is the same on both images. On the photo from my room I could compare image on the monitor to the environment next to it so it's not my "preffered" profile. I'm posting it here because there are cases we can not calibrate (in film industry) output HDRIs panoramas in Nuke everytime and that is already linear output. Debayering with x-rite color profile in CR is far from colorimetric values for the ColorChecker Passport in sRGB space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the WB is the same despite the profile and that's my point. You have to set WB as you desire regardless of the profile. The profile doesn't affect WB whatsoever. By design. IF  you don't like the WB rendering, alter it. 

The colorimetric values have to be measured at the scene with a Spectrophotometer and then you need Lab values to then compare to the rendered Lab values IF you want to speak of colorimetric accuracy. Anything else is just guessing. None of this has anything to do with your Eizo. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Debayering with x-rite color profile in CR is far from colorimetric values for the ColorChecker Passport in sRGB space."

Consider the fact that they Cyan patch on the Macbeth falls outside sRGB color gamut.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines