• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply adjustments from other softwares to lightroom

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I knew LIGHTROOM I adjusted all my photos in Digital Photo Professional (CR2 files from Canon) and Capture NX-D (NEFF files from Nikon) softwares. It is possible to appliy all my adjustments (around 20 thousand pictures) from DPP and NX-D to LIGHTROOM? Thanks.

Richard.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have an idea for you: Take a folder of your images with the sidecar (xml) files. Then use Adobe DNG Converter and turn the files from (sic) cr2 images into DNG. These will be containing all of the information from your other applications. Now Import them into Lightroom and they should be good to go.

Needless to say, do this on some test images first but I do think this should work.

FWIW, I've ALWAYS been converting my images into DNGs for many reasons and have never regretted the action.

Let us know if this works for you.

Here's a link to the DNG Converter: Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gary_sc  wrote

I think I have an idea for you: Take a folder of your images with the sidecar (xml) files. Then use Adobe DNG Converter and turn the files from (sic) cr2 images into DNG. These will be containing all of the information from your other applications. Now Import them into Lightroom and they should be good to go.

I don't know about the Nikon app, but Canon's DPP does not write sidecar files. Editing metadata is written internally to the CR2 file in a section called VRD which is similar to a DNG file's internal XMP. Lightroom cannot read this section of metadata and even if it could, it would take considerable "translation" to go from settings applicable to DPP's interface to equivalent settings for LR/ACR. What, for instance, would LR do with a setting of 4 for Sharpness?

Richard, I'm afraid there is no way to transfer DPP processing to either Lightroom or any other third party converter without leaving the Raw format and non-destructive processing, i.e. saving the edits to .tiff.  It is also impossible to go the other direction by opening a DNG in DPP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

elie_di  wrote

even if it could, it would take considerable "translation" to go from settings applicable to DPP's interface to equivalent settings for LR/ACR. What, for instance, would LR do with a setting of 4 for Sharpness?

Yes, that's exactly the problem, and not one that can be solved either, as long as different processing engines are used. Any given adjustment simply means very different things in the two applications, if equivalents even exist.

It's like translating between languages. You need to consider grammar, syntax and semantics, or you just get gibberish. You can't do it by simple look-up tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to make adjustments using those other software programs it will be necessary to save TIF copies, and then import those TIF images into Lightroom. Those images will not show the adjustments that were made with the other software, but the images will be affected by those adjustments. Then you can continue to edit them in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines