• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor doesn't change properly to reflect tool in use

Engaged ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with Camera Raw 11.2, the cursor doesn't always change to reflect the tool in use properly. Here is the sequence to create the problem:

Select the adjustment brush (keyboard shortcut K)

Move an adjustment slider (example, Exposure); value box is highlighted in blue.

Use adjustment brush on image. The brush cursor turns into the default arrow, and the size of the brush disappears.

Subsequent uses of the brush act normally. This ONLY happens when an adjustment slider is moved.

This same cursor behavior is true for all tools (straighten, crop, etc), if an adjustment slider is moved prior to moving the tool.

This is irritating, especially when trying to use the adjustment brush.

I'm on a Mac, OS Mojave 10.14.4

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wes,

That does not sound good, as the cursor does not change in the Camera Raw plugin, could you please try updating the Camera Raw plugin to version 11.3 and let us know if you face the same issue after that? Camera Raw plug-in installer

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil.

Sadly, the issue is the same after 11.3.

Here is also something interesting: if, while experiencing the problem, I press the Shift Key (or command), the proper cursor returns. It's as if the cursor function "loses focus" regarding the tool at hand, and needs to be "reminded" what tool is active.

--Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is STILL a problem with 11.4. C'mon. Fix this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually experiencing a similar problem. I'm on the latest version of everything, using the latest version of Mojave and a Wacom Intuos Pro with the latest driver release.

The specifics of the glitch I am getting are with the Adjustment Brush. When first opening the brush panel, it works fine. I can see my brush cursor fine and it paints normally. Then when I go to the panel and change a setting, any setting, then go back to paint on the image, the cursor turns back into the standard arrow. But when I release that bit of painting by lifting my stylus off of the wacom then click down again to start painting more, the cursor changes back to the standard brush cursor. This happens every time I change a setting in the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is my experience as well. Same for the other tools, such as crop, straighten, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem with 11.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wes,

Some time ago I had a problem with the cursor.  I eventually found that I had inadvertently turned on "Mouse Keys" a part of the the Mac Accessibility Shortcuts system which enables some keys to be used instead of a mouse to move the cursor on the monitor screen (Mac accessibility shortcuts - Apple Support ).  The shortcut to toggle Mouse Keys on/off is five presses on the Option Key.

All best wishes

Thom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't solve the problem. I'm pretty sure it's a bug, as others have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five presses on the Option Key

☝🏻 You are my new best friend, Thom! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since an update this year. I actually can't use some tools in Camera Raw because the cursors won't change to the function of the tool. I wonder why Adobe broke it and if they care to fix it ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a bug in the latest version, it's 2023, 4 years later, and it still hasn't been fixed properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As most of the functionality mentioned in the original post changed when the new masking was implemented, we would need modified instructions for reproducing.  Can anyone on the current version (15.1) supply step-by-step instructions for getting into this state?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, for me it happens like this.

1. Open any RAW file in ACR

2. Click on the Healing Tool to make an adjustment

3. Click on the Magnify Tool and zoom in or out to the area you want to adjust

4. The Healing tool remains selected in the toolbar while zooming and clicking on that tool to continue healing adjustments does nothing.

5. The functionality remains that of the Magnify tool.

6. To get back to the Healing tool functionality I need to click on the Mask tool button, then click on the Healing tool button again.

7. Repeat this process every time I need to zoom in or out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After step 5 you need to release the zoom tool:[Esc] or  toggle off the Zoom Icon should quickly restore you to Heal functionality. 

Consider instead of clicking the Zoom icon just pressing the [ Z ] key for momentary zooming [Space] for panning etc. 

This looks to be as-designed behavior to me. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's a feature, not a bug" as they say.

Seem like an extra unnecessary step. Unlike most other Adobe products where if you select a new tool the previous one becomes inactive, this one you have to switch off before you move on with your editing. Interesting choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It's a feature, not a bug" as they say.

Seem like an extra unnecessary step. Unlike most other Adobe products where if you select a new tool the previous one becomes inactive, this one you have to switch off before you move on with your editing. Interesting choice.

By @Dave MP

So you've clicked first on the Heal tool, but then you clicked on the Zoom tool. So it makes sense that this tool is now active. 

Yes, it is odd at first that both Heal and Zoom tools show as active (indented) but considering the behavior Rikk provided, it makes sense as you can toggle off the Zoom tool to Heal and back again. By design, the zoom tool can operate with other tools because we often want to use them, zoom then use them again. While Heal is active, the key commands make it quick to toggle between the two, so you don't have to click on the tools in the palette. The escape key disengages all the selected tools; that makes sense if you're done and now wish to use sliders. So yes, not a bug.

How would you prefer the tools to operate and would you be willing to explain this as a feature request? 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines