• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW 12.0 under OS/X not able to convert RAW to JPG, DNG is the only format available

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new with Element2020.

When I  open a RAW file (ORF from Olympus OM-D E-M5 MK II) I am able to work on this photo, but when I try  to save the image, the only format available is DNG.

Take a look at the sreenshot.

May be there is an option or a specific menu.

I need help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Photoshop Elements. I'm assuming  you are referring to saving the image from Camera Raw. When doing that from Camera Raw when using Photoshop, there is a drop-down that you can click to change the format from DNG and you can choose from a number of different formats including TIF, JPEG and a number of others. Do you not have that option with Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE has a stripped down Camera Raw compared to Photoshop, Jim. DNG is the only format available from the Camera Raw Save dialogue box.

pse-camera-raw.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, the version of ACR for Elements doesn't provide this functionality, you'll have to save as JPEG in Elements proper. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers.

The Workflow with PSE 2020 is not clear  for me.

In my folder there are .ORF file (RAW) , right click, open with : Adobe Photoshop element

Then PSE 2020 starts and Camera RAW is opening a window on top of PSE. 

No way to save as a JPEG with Camera Raww, and no way to get the RAW file inside PSE where it is possible to save as a JPEG.

Is there a specific licence for Camera Raw to buy and make the software running.?

PSE 2020+CAmera RAw are not working as Photoshop CS or Lightroom, even in expert mode.

I don't find any video explaining the workflow to follow with RAW files under PSE 2020.

I am an old user of Adobe products, I am moving from Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS5  to PSE 2020. Because my new camera is not supported by the old products. The licences for an update are too expensive for me, thats why I am moving to PSE 2020. 

I am testing an other product DxO,  working better than Camera RAW+PSE

May be my solution should be to use PSE 2020 for graphics only and DxO for artistic photographies.

If you know a video explaining the PSE 2020 workflow, I will be happy to learn PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried it but here are some instructions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop-elements/using/processing-camera-raw-image-files.html

"

Do one of the following:
  • To open a copy of the camera raw image file (with the camera raw settings applied) in Photoshop Elements, click Open Image. You can edit the image and save it in a Photoshop Elements-supported format. The original camera raw file remains unaltered.
  • To cancel the adjustments and close the dialog box, click Cancel.
  • To save the adjustments to a DNG file, click Save Image.

"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS, are you sure you've been looking at the right prices? Is $120 per year really too expensive to work with a $1000 camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm hearing you correctly.

My Camera is not so expensive, I don't change my camera every  year, this E-M5 MKII is my second camera in 10 years. The previuous one was E-M5 MK I

The price was 500€ for Body only, my planning is to use this new one during the next 10 years. So 50€ by year.

At the end I should be dead because I am a very  old man.

I've paid  "one time"  in the past years for 2 Adobe  Products and updates:  Lightroom 5 (I've started at Lightroom 2, and Photoshop 2), these  products are not working now with this "new" second hand camera .

I don't need Photoshop every day or  month, I am not a professionnal. Sometimes during 2 or 3 mont I am noy using Adobe products.

Here in Europe,

Creative Cloud pour la Photo (20 Go) Photoshop + Lightroom 143,14 €/ year

Creative Cloud (Toutes les applications) Photoshop + toutes les applications de création Adobe 719,86 €/ year

To focus on Element 2020, I've tried the process explained here

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop-elements/using/processing-camera-raw-image-files.html

But when I decide to open my RAW file on  the Edit workspace of Element2020 , choose File > Open.

Then Element 2020, give the hand to Camera RAW, no way to save in JPEG format or to save the file inside element 2020.

So  I've paid "one time" for a product unable to manage  RAW files. Yes I can save my work on a DNG file, DNG is a RAW format, Element 2020 is not able to open a DNG file.

I will continue to find  a solution.

Thank you for your comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what happens if you try to follow the instructions I posted and click the Open Image button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To illustrate my concern about making JPG file from any RAW files using Adobe Element 2020, here is a short video

https://youtu.be/g_jJQ6Leh3M             

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have said twice, what happens when you click the Open Image button. See the picture. Your video seems cut off, perhaps your monitor resolution is too small.

Untitled.png

(Picture from https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/adobe-photoshop-elements-2020-review)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but there is no  Open Image button.  There is something working "Image Collection" 

Capture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 18.48.47.jpgCapture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 18.48.58.jpg

Capture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 18.43.41.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, OK 

The process is this one

Start Element 2020

select file/Open in Camera raw

Select you RAW file

A new window is opened using Camear RAW

Then in the bottom right of that window , there is an "Open Image" button

Capture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 19.07.26.jpg

It means, "open this image inside Element 2020"

I was concentrated on Element 2020 instead of Camera RAW to find "Open Image" 

The "record image" and "open image" buttons are confusing 

I will make a short video to show the process

Thank you very much.

Capture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 19.01.42.jpgCapture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 19.02.37.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means, "open this image inside Element 2020"

And that's exactly what you need to do to render the raws in ACR into Elements, then and only then can you save as a JPEG; from Elements. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK it works but this RAW process is totaly different compare to  Lightroom workflow. 

If you try to open a RAW file in Photoshop Elements, it opens Camera Raw automatically on top of Elements.

This  is not easy to understand for users accustomed to a fully integrated and homogeneous tool.

Camera RAW is not included inside Element 2020, so the workflow and the interface are not the same for RAW file and JPEG file. 

Most users with Mirrorless camera are using JPEG instead of RAW, because the processor included inside the Mirrorless Cameras is doing a good job to produce a clean and perfect JPEG.  So Element should be  enought.

Here is my my new workflow:

I will continue to shoot RAW+Fine JPEG with my E-M5 MK II

Import all JPEG files in my old Photoshop Lightroom 5, use element for some RAW files, then the JPEG files produced  will be imported inside LR5.

For  monochrome I will use Nick Collection Plugin inside LR5, because Element2020 don’t get control over the colour channels, which is disappointing for me.

I will use Element2020 at the end of the process if certain details require graphic actions.

Thank you very much for your comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020:

1. I took 100 pictures (RAW format)
  2. I've imported them all together in Camera Raw
  3. I've made changes to all the 100 images

All easy and clear so far, as courtox has described.

But now confusion starts:

I have 100 edited images in front of me. Do I really have to "save as" 100 times - one by one?

There must be a "Save All as" function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capt_BALU,

Are you using photoshop elements or photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open all your photos from camera raw into the photoshop elements editor, you can then use File>Process Multiple Files to save your opened files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff.

The workflow is very strange at me. Camera RAW is not integrated inside photoshop  element. May be Camera RAW was developped by Adobe-1 company and  Photoshop element is developped by an other company Adobe-2, they  don't want to cooperate.

Suppose you are in you car, and you want to read the map inside your GPS, the workflow should be 

1. stop the car
  2. remove the GPS from the car 
  3. Go outside
  4. download the map inside you GPS device in format 1
  5. at the end, say: save in the compatible format 2 for that GPS device
  6. return inside your car
  7. plug the GPS inside the car
  8. start you engine 
  9. Drive using the GPS and the new map.

That's magic, isn'it.

I am an old man you know, who thought that before his death the method for working on his photos would be simple and intuitive without having to go through a suite of software with different interfaces and vocabularies.

Thank you for all.

My workflow is very simple now

• Raw2DNG convertion
  • Import inside Adobe Lightroom  LR5
  • minor changes to the original photo
  • export to flickr, and/or print the photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe thinks: If you care enough to shoot RAW, then you care enough to spend extra money on Photoshop.

Elements is cheap and is designed for JPG processing.  Adobe makes the raw workflow cumbersome.

Photoshop is expensive.  The raw workflow is easlier.

Lightroom is easiest if you don't need to do post-processing in Photoshop or Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines