Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw 12.0 Very Slow

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I updated to Camera Raw 12.0.1 today and performance in the app is very, very laggy. As another poster described, it takes from 2-5 seconds for an image to appear in the working window. 

In the previous version, an image would appear immediately but would take a second or two to come out of preview completely, whereas in v12 the image does appear to switch out of soft, low-res preview image state fairly quickly once it finally does load. 

In this version, previews load fairly quickly at first, decreasing after a few previews to the aforementioned laggy response time. If any adjustments are made on the panels, the laggy response happens instantaneously. 

I've followed all the steps here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html#Troubleshooting

And gotten no results whatsoever. Turning on/off/auto the GPU in ACR doesn't do anything to affect the performance. 

I'd appreciate any feedback available; I've got three shoots to get through and it's going to take me literally 3-4 times as long to process images as usual. If the solution is to downgrade, please let me know. 

I've seen another post regarding this topic on this forum, but it appears to be dead so I decided to post again. 

Additional info: 

mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

iMac 27" 4.2 gHz i7, 64 GB RAM

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

I have gone ahead and downgraded back to Photoshop 2019 by uninstalling via the CC app and when reinstalling selecting the elipsis and "previous versions" button. Then I deleted this file:

Your-Hard-Drive-Name-Here/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CC/File Formats/Camera Raw.plugin

and reinstalled the Camera Raw plugin from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

I reinstalled the 11.4 version. 

Everything's back to normal. I really like the save/re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Thank you to folks who provided additional information. Right now my advice is still to run the 11.4.1 standalone installer to go back to the previous version from 12.0 if you experince this slowdown. FYI you should be able to use Camera Raw 11.4.1 with both Bridge and Bridge 2019 and 2020; I don't believe it's necessary to rollback both Photoshop/Bridge and the plugin. (Camera Raw 11.4.1 will still read the Bridge 2019 preferences for the UI color and color labels, however.)

I’ve got some rep

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to do this again today after upgrading to Photoshop 2021 ( release 22.0.0 ) Annoying you have to redo it after updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is annoying, but now Acronis Active Protection is on my to do list every time there is a major update.  Not everything carries over, so I do a complete preferences checking.  Let us be grateful that this fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To save having to change the active protection everytime there is an udate to Adobe CC, add the Adobe directory (C:\Program Files\Adobe) to the protection exclusion list.  That way the whole directory is removed from the Active Protection.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip re the Adobe directory, but I am unable to add it.  I would have to add the individual programs.  I have Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.18363.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lynnea1941 I am using Acronis 2021.

Launch the Acronis App, select 'Protection' (Sheild Icon on Left hand side), in the window that pops up, select 'Protection Exclusions''.  In the window that opens, select 'Add Eclusion' (bottom left of window), and a pop up sub menu is displayed  add file and add directory.  Select Add Directory and select C:\Program Files\Adobe using the displayed file explorer.

I hope that helps.  I am not sure if the same options are available in earlier versions of Acronis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acronis 2020 so "Add Directory" function is new.  I can only add an .exe file.

Good information, though, for those with the newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users on our feedback forum have reported that they have a product named  Acronis True image on their computres and that  turning off the "Acronis Active Protection service" resolve their slow downs.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/camera-raw-lagging-issue-after-update-dng-pic...

Folks reporting problems in this converstaion, however, may be running into a different problem, but if you also have Acronis, please try that workaround and let us know if it helps you.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for this hint! I was going mad while searching for the massive slowdown when importing files from ACR to Photoshop (8 Files 70 seconds and days before 5 Minutes)

I stopped Acronis Protection and now it's about 15 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fwiw, I also had Acronis 2020 with "Active Protection" on, but the standalone 11.4.1 ACR rollback resolved any issues that I noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experienced serious issues with Camera Raw 12 on Windows 10. I was also runnins Acronis 2018 Active Protection.

Per your suggestion, I turned the Acronis True Protection off and I find that this has resolved the problems I was having with Camera Raw 12.

Thank you,

R_G_E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Acronis True Protection solved my slow down with vs 12.  I have gone back to the latest camera raw.

Thanks,

Reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added both Bridge and Photoshop to the whitelist in Acronis Active Protection Services and ACR began behaving properly.  No lag, at last!  It was driving me bananas until this fix was mentioned!  If you have Acronis True Image, this step will solve your issue.

I couldn't figure out why a fast processor, 32 GB memory, discrete GPU with 6GB, and an SSD scratch disk were insufficeint to run ACR.  Thank you to whomever came up with this solution!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone tried installing camera raw 12.1 the december release? I had same issue with slow camera raw 12.0. Downgraded to 11.4 but now curious if the new release fixed the slow problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had massive problems with Acronis Protection. But also without Photoshop 2020 as well as Camera Raw 12 does not work well and very slow so I switched back to 2019 versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 12.1 and still have the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I also had an extremely slow CAMERA RAW. I returned to 11.4.1. and it's fast again. I have 32 GB RAM, Core i7, GTX 1660, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm Acronis Active Protection is the culprit. On brand new Windows 10 pro workstation build i9900ks 64gb ram, nvme raid storage. ACR 12.1 slow as molasse - turned of Active Protection - Camera raw performance now as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm the problem with Acronis Active Protection. Turning it off allowed Camera Raw to return to its usual snappy performance when adjusting sliders.

Camera Raw 12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Acronis support and they gave me a better solution than turning off Active Protection. Instead, go into the Manage Processes tab of the Active Protection dashboard and add Photoshop to the whitelist. After doing that Camera Raw now runs as normal for me but I'm not giving up the Active Protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how to whitelist the Photoshop processes in Acronis Tue Image.

31-03-20 08-50-47.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed photoshop 2020 and camera raw 12.2 and now it works fast. Imac 5k 2017, mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys i don't have the Acronis Protection on my PC and camera raw is just unusable. please advice. my system protection is with Bitdefender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horrible performance on Windows 10 64 Ram Nvidia 1070 After rolling back uninstalling no success It was Acronis True image. I uninstalled this piece of software and PS ACR are very responsive again. Good bye for good Acronis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't claim credit for this - found it elsewhere.  Are you also running Acronis True Image because if so turn off the Active Protection element of the software completely - there's a conflict with this and Camera Raw.  It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Fifeman4 for the tip on Acronis True Image. I installed a new harddrive several weeks ago and ever since then Camera Raw had been unusable, very slow, unresponsive, etc. I had wondered if the problem was linked to installing my new drive, but until now had not been able to confirm that. When installing the new drive I also installed Acronis True Image to duplicate my old drive contents to the new one. Upon disabling Active Protection in Acronis True Image Camera Raw is once again working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines