• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert UI to older Camera Raw UI (12.2.1) after Interface Changes

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after updating photoshop , when i opened it for the first time there was option to use camera raw as it is (vertical film) or to change it to new UI (with new look and horizontal filmstrip ), i just clicked new UI to see how it looks , i thought if i dont like it i will just go back to using older UI but there is no option to select older UI , i contacted adobe but person who was helping me just suggested that i should install older version of camera raw or ask for help from this forum , i found it bit frustrating that if there was simple option to choose new UI so why not give option to revert back to older UI with newly updated software. maybe its bug or adobe forcing people to use new UI even if they dont like it

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
If you want to refer to 12.2.1, you can do so here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
788 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After waiting for replies here, I got onto Adobe's help line. They seemed fully prepared for calls of this sort and talked me through going via Run / %Appdata% to change the Photoshop (not Camera Raw) file ending from psp to psp.old. That worked, but how would anyone know? I find having to scroll right down for a basic like noise reduction (always needed on ORF files) a real pain, compared with where it was in the icon above. Couldn't really care where the thumbnails go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone help me. My PC has updated the Raw Camera to version 12.3 and I am not able to see the changes made only in the localized adjustments, for example only in the radial filter, or only in the brush separately as before. I'm only able to see the before and after of the basic adjustments and the others below where I click on the eye and the before and after with all the adjustments together by clicking on the icon that looks like a little window. How do I see this in this version? Help me please. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They seem to be complete crazy!!! None of them seems to do anything with Adobe Camera Raw, Bridge and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to reinstall everything, back to the last version, which was good. But the "update" can only be seen as a bad joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-installed previous version of Bridge amd Photoshop here is the link for the installer to ACR 12_2_1

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hated this update from the first time I opened it up. After playing around with it for a few days I like it even less. Having to constantly scroll up and down on the right side for every little thing is time consuming and incredibly annoying. The crop tool is essentially useless to me now. I'll just crop in Photoshop after prcessing the whole file. The lack of simple things like the + and - are just thoughtless. This unexpected and unwanted "update" is just rude and inconsiderate on Adobe's part to people who have been loyal users of their products for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The objective verdict after a few hours in the muddy trenches of post w/ ACR 12.3 last night, then sleeping on it.... 

Without getting into specifics, I did encounter a few noticeable improvements, or maybe I should say feature enhancements - which could have easily been implemented without any UI/UX modification.

Overall, the new UI is arguably "cleaner" than the previous interface, but "design for design's sake" has NO PLACE in the UI/UX of workflow software. Functionally the new UI is poorly conceived and very inefficient to use. 

ATTN: ACR PRODUCT MGR / TEAM...
  • Why didn't you inform AND involve boots-on-the-ground power-users with this release? 
  • Why didn't you give users an option to TRY the new interface first? 
  • Why didn't you provide a rollback option for the previous UI?
I stick by my original post statement that there is absolutely NO WAY that anyone who uses ACR on a consistent basis within a professional photography workflow would have voted for this change, or would give the 12.3 release anything more than 1 star out of 5 - and the only reason for one star is because at least 12.3 doesn't outright bomb when launched.

Final Take: The UI/UX update of Adobe's ACR 12.3 release is maddeningly inefficient, completely unwarranted, and a genuine affront to professional users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%. My former workflow was developed over many, many years of heavy use, allowing me to speed through dozens, and or hundreds of RAW images from a professional photo session. It had become like second nature, without taking any time to think about each step along the way. The process was an amazingly "well oiled machine" that has been totally destroyed. That well-developed workflow was the one thing that has always stopped me from considering other systems, such as Topaz Studio (not wanting to re-invest the time and energy to re-learn a new flow) I can only imaging how long it will take to re-develop such a skilled workflow with the new UI. I will definitely be taking another look at Topaz Studio -- since Adobe has forced me into this corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.......whatever minor benefit was derived was wiped out by the changes in the UI itself. Working on a laptop often means that  everything is now crammed into a very small area and difficult to work with.  Some things, like vignette are in multiple places, completely unnecessary. There was no reason to not leave the targeted adjustment tool as a stand alone and it now has less useability because it can only be used in the panels in which it's included. This was a terrible disservice to the customer base especially for those of us who intentionally do not use LR. If we wanted this type of UI, we would be using  LR. This needs to be fixed so that the customer has the option of using the old UI or the new one. There was no indication that this wouldn't be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word is, from another thread, that Adobe is working on a fix. Don't know what it is because I'm just another user like all of you. I think your voice has been heard. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for the update. It could be days or weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently there have been enough complaints that a change is in the works. I don't know what it is because I'm just another user like you. I kind of like the new UI, but that's just my opinion. But there is a change coming. In the meantime, I guess you can go back to the previous version. Here is the link that was provided by an Adobe employee:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to 12.1 today after 2 days of using the 12.3 update which seriously affected the speed of my workflow. I use Camera Raw every day as a professional photographer.

I use a 5 x 7 crop format often and in the old version the crop format stayed at 5 x 7 aspect ratio unless I used something else. With the 12.3 update the aspect ratio is always at 2 x 4 / 4 x 6 and I have to click each and every time to get 5 x 7. I want to click less to get what I want done, done.

Cropping? Having to move the image around behind the crop frame was time consuming. That UI is not effective imo.

Like Alan Shadduck above my process was like a "well oiled machine" and the new UI was like working with a clunky, sputtering machine.  

I've never felt the need to write and complain until the Camera Raw 12.3 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SANDRA, I am afraid most people in this thread has reverted back to an older Camera Raw version (me included). So they might not be able to help you.
Instead I suggest you to revert back to an earlier version of Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another annoying change (bug)- when in Camera Raw (from Bridge 10.1.10.163) and using adjustment brush with several images open, brush no longer remembers setting when I go from one image to the next, or if I toggle between Adjustment Brush and Basic settings. Previously, settings were remembered, so when dodging or burning a bunch of similar images, I didn’t have to set the same amount over and over and over again... This is a real deal breaker for me personally.

Similar issue- after adjusting the first of multiple images, if I select all, use either Option + S, or contextual menu to synchronize settings, it does not remember previously selected items properly.

And I guess I will just have to learn to look for More Image Settings all the way on the right, instead of say next in top of the Basic settings panel, where it would logically make sense to find it like before.

On the positive side, I do really like the ability to click on the small “eye” next to each panel to see before and after for just that set of adjustments. I would say Bridge is also a little quicker to launch, and slightly more responsive when opening a bunch of images into Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also miss those quick reset + - click points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to be one of those guys that start to resist change as they grow older - I am trying to go with the new interface and give it a chance, but truth is, I really don't like it.

My feeling is that Adobe overshot here and I suspect this is update is more directed at Lightroom users to make them more comfortable with Photoshop and less for Photoshop/CameraRaw users.

In general I find the interface cluttered and less tidy than before and but what really gets me is that I haven't been able to figure out how to do continuous zoom with the mouse wheel. It works in some edit modes but in others ALT+Wheel just controls the brush. Can anyone help with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out the adjustment brush issue, Robert. I just checked and have the same. Sooo many time consuming issues to overcome with this new UI but that's the straw that broke the camel's back. Decision made, I'm reverting back to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you are not alone. Personally, I like the new interface. But apparently I'm in the extreme minority. The word is, in another thread, that a fix is in the works. So be patient. Don't know how long it will take or what the fix will be. But it's on the way. As far as your continuous zoom is concerned, I can't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just took my ACR back to 12.2.1 via https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x  ... Bridge seems to be working fine without moving it back (RAW & TIF thumbnails are showing).  My Bridge version is 9.1.0.338 (up to date according to ACC installer) -- Is there a need to roll Bridge back as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weill, I did it, just rolled my ACR back to 12.2.1 via https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x   ... After dealing with the nightmare of 12.3 for a couple of days I've never been happier with any software install (the ACR 12.2 roll-back)!! A quick check and all is well again. Question for those that have reverted back: Some have stated there is a need to roll Bridge back as well, but I'm not seeing an issue with my Bridge 9.1.0.338 (tif and raw files display their thumbnails fine, and Ctrl-R opens my files in ACR as before). Do I need to roll back Bridge as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A side note, and I hope Adobe is listening. As a pro power user that also uses Topaz plugins with PS, I have been tempted to take the time to learn Topaz Studio... If the 12.3 screw-up remains the future of ACR (which will require an enormous amount of time to re-learn and re-hone skillful use, if that's possible at all) I will definitely devote that learning curve time to switching to Topaz Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand that many people are upset about the new UI and prefer the old one. I really do. But “an enormous amount of time to re-learn”, “if that is possible at all”? Come on, you still have all the same sliders and the same tools. It’s just the layout that changed.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan: No, it is not "just the layout that has changed." What I'm talking about "re-learning" is my efficient workflow that I routinely sailed through prior to the "upgrade;" now dramatically slowed down, not only by finding the same old tools in different places but in many cases crippling the efficiency of those tools. E.g. processing a shoot where I extensively use dodge & burn brushes and gradients with multiple images... Prior to this version I take a minute or so to set the sliders to the desired exposure, shadow, highlight, white, black, sometimes clarity and dehaze. Once I've got that brush set to my mind's perfection I zip through several successive images. Not any more! With 12.3 clicking on the next image resets all sliders so I have to start the process over! The prior versions retained this information. This is just ONE example that will double or triple the time it takes me to go through a large set. So two hours at the computer becomes four hours or more. Yeah, likely not at all possible to "re-learn" or regain that original efficiency that I once had, which was absolutely destroyed by this backwards "upgrade." I totally disagree with your assertion that "it's just the layout that changed." My first impression of the new layout was actually visually appealing to me. Everything in photography is a compromise, but working with it in the real world, in its present state, brought me to the conclusion that the negative impacts of the new version, regardless of how visually appealing the "layout" may be, are a massive compromise I am not willing to be forced into. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes completely agree, the removal of the + and - is the worst idea ever and negatively impacts my workflow at every step on every image. I use it a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 150%. On Windows 10 system this "upgrade" is not usable at all. Every click results in a 6-10 second delay and forget trying to crop. Tried to revert to 12.2.1 using the plugin installer but then none of my Adobe programs would open. Had to restore my entire system with a backup from the day before.

Even if this upgrade did work, the new UI layout is horrible and cumbersome at best. Why do software people think everyone is working on their phone and scrolling to do anything is cool? Add my vote to giving us a choice to pick our user interface layout, or just go back to the one that worked and made sense. That is, once ACR is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate