• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw 7 CS6 adjustments slow to operate.

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to Photoshop CS6 and I'm having a problem with camera raw adjustments.

When loading a batch of images into camera raw all is fine then after a few images have been adjusted everything slows down. Adjustment controls take 1-3 seconds to activate when clicked on.

Using MacPro 2.66 Nehalem 8 core, 32GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, ATI Radeon HD 4870

Any suggestions welcomed.

Have tried:

disabling all plug-ins

Launching Camera Raw from Photoshop and Bridge

Closing all other programs

Adjusting Camera Raw Cache(currently 10gb)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Hi Adriana,

I get slowdowns in the multiple seconds category, sometimes with as little as one image, but always with 10 or more. For example, load 10 nikon d800 raw files, start going down the line adjusting WB, shadow, highlight, blacks, etc, and by the 3rd image, I guarantee you will be having to wait a second or two before you see your adjustments redraw on the main preview image. After that, I usually use the adjustment brush for simple burning,dodging, mostly of faces, or darkening distracti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow up. Do you see slowdowns when working with a single image? You said it is more prominent  when using local adjustments and also while saving, correct? If you can send me exactly the controls you are using it would be very helpful. For example, when using adjusment brush, do you feel it is slower when using the exposure slider, or the noise reduction slider? What controls and values used cause this to slowdown? Do you have masks on or off? Any detailed information will help us reproduce and narrow down the issues reported. If you could share an image with the adjusments and the xmp file will be very helpful. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adriana,

It's difficult to work out what's happening but here are some observations. Loading 1 image is OK. If I load a wedding of say 300 images into Camera Raw 4 they all load and I can perform any number of adjustments and move between all images instantaneously all the way through. If I load the same into CR7 there is a 1-2 second delay when moving between images. Adjustments are relatively OK but not as quick as CR4. After a number of images have been corrected(this number varies) any one of the controls gets sticky with between 2-3 seconds to respond. One observation is that I can adjust all controls in CR4 and 7 when the Yellow warning triangle is present however in CR7 if I try to make an adjustment literally just before the Yellow triangle disappears the controls can get sticky. Usual controls are as per attached image with no Lens Corrections.

Screen shot 2012-08-03 at 10.28.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so we're all on the same page...

• Camera Raw 7 is a little slower than all its predecessors because it does more and produces higher quality results.  But only incrementally slower.

• Some people are seeing MUCH slower performance from Camera Raw 7 than with its predecessors.  Like 10x slower.

It's important not to confuse the two.

In order to differentiate between the two, everyone here needs to be VERY specific about the speed they're seeing (as tobylong has done).  Those who have said, for example, that it takes several seconds to see updates on their screens when moving controls are clearly in the second category as compared to others who are seeing nearly instantaneous display updates.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adriana,

I get slowdowns in the multiple seconds category, sometimes with as little as one image, but always with 10 or more. For example, load 10 nikon d800 raw files, start going down the line adjusting WB, shadow, highlight, blacks, etc, and by the 3rd image, I guarantee you will be having to wait a second or two before you see your adjustments redraw on the main preview image. After that, I usually use the adjustment brush for simple burning,dodging, mostly of faces, or darkening distracting areas. Then the slowdowns really increase. I almost can't use the brush because I have to wait so long for the adjustment to show up on the preview. I have automasking on almost always. But really, just fine tuning your image by nothing more than adjusting WB, Shadows, Highlights, etc and after a few images you will see slowdown. My system specs are above. I agree that the quality is better, but currently I use cs5.1 for all my work except for a couple images that I really wanted but over exposed, then I crank up cs6 and have been able to save them, otherwise I don't use my expensive new software at all because it takes forever! I haven't returned it yet because I hope you will fix it, and also, one image it saved for me was worth the cost of the update, so on that I guess we're even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same for myself. As little as 3 images can be problematic. Still using CS3 on the whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. Adobe has kindly provided a backward license for photoshop cs5.1 in the interim and I am now using this. It is much quicker when using camera RAW than cs6 and positively skips along, also I do not have the same problem of having to convert to .dng format before I can process images in camera raw and cs3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update  cs6 13.01 did not have any effect on the Camera Raw problem. Back to cs5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, Toby, would you say Camera Raw from Photoshop CS5.1 is twice as fast, or more than that?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no delay using the correction sliders in Photoshop CS5.1 camera raw. There's a 1-3 seconds delay(sometime more) using CS6 camera raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing to add, except, like I mentioned in another post, confirming that CR7 is extremely slow. So, it's not an isolated problem. Adobe has to react quickly and provide an update to boost performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we're hearing essentially nothing more from Adobe on this problem, one could be forgiven for assuming they're trying to ignore it, passing it off as performance issues being reported by people with old/slow computers.

I sense that it is more than that - that there's a 10x performance difference being observed in some cases between similarly powered systems, and THAT is why I'm encouraging people to post more specific information instead of just saying it's "slow".

You'd be wise to be VERY specific, even using a stopwatch as needed, and post your timings.  It's ESPECIALLY helpful to post the specific differences between the versions of Camera Raw, if you have more than one installed.

I've tested a number of different versions of Camera Raw myself, and yes, it IS slowing down as they add more features, but something like 2x or 3x in recent versions - NOT anywhere near as much as what's being seen by some folks!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I process up to 600 images from a shoot. Even a 2-3x slowdown is HUGE for me, like hours!

I'll try to get a stopwatch out and do some measurements soon, once the summer wedding furor dies down. PS, I moved to lightroom 4.1 or whatever is newest. I find it LESS slower than ACR by about 2-3x in terms of redrawing the image, and how long you have to wait for your adjustments to show on your preview, but it takes about 3x longer to save an image. The good thing about the way lightroom workflow is organized, is that I can tone a whole take before I have to save anything. Currently I export (save the raws to JPG or DNG as required) at night, then go to bed. It's done in the morning....All in all, I save about 2 hours per shoot using lightroom, but I would rather ACR focused on improving speed in its next iteration, because all the cameras coming out now are 24 megapixles plus, and trust me, those big files go A LOT slower. My next post will have a concrete comparison between ACR 6, ACR 7 and lightroom, but it might be a month or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking forward to seeing that info, tahoelight, and I hope it furthers the cause, but I suspect Adobe feels that their latest software can expect to be run on ever more powerful computers, and as a result they're free to do more in pursuit of better looking results.

I can offer some recommendations for improving your computer performance if you're interested.

I've just plunked down quite a few thousands myself this year to increase my own PC workstation performance radically.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first time ever I have rolled-back to a previous version of Camera Raw. I'm now using 7.1, as 7.2 was proving painfully slow in Bridge batch operations, as well as rendering to Photoshop. Quality seems good enough, but it's just too slow to get things done.

Windows 7 64b, Intel Core2 Duo @ 3.55GHz, 4GB RAM @ 1066GHz, P45Express/ICH10 RAID. Not cutting edge, but not past it neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fortunately 7.2 is working okay for me except for the saving of the images. It's particularly slow.

My work around is to use Lightroom 4 to do the export and by breaking up the export into several simultaneous saves, that seems to get things done.

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your annoyance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No spot adjustments or lens corrections. Using EOS 5D Mk 2 (22mp)

Energy saver disabled (set to never)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New ACR still have very very very slow and ineffective engine. My PC have 32 Gb of RAM and when I open 2000 RAW files - I see that 15% of ram used 85% is free. There is lags when make exposure or sharpness tweaks. And red eye remove is bold and unpredictable - and still there is no manual mode for it. And missed manual mode for chromatic aberration - auto is not 100% adequate. And saving is very slow too - and I can even play WorldofTank during it - because it takes only 40 - 60% of my 3770K CPU. ACR 6 saving was much faster - it used 98 99% of CPU and made 4 files in row

P.S. http://ozerovpaparacci.photofile.ru/ - my galleries if somebody whant to ask why so many foto in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex, it sounds as if your supercomputer may be waiting on I/O...  What kind of disk subsystem do you have?

AlexOzerov wrote:

And missed manual mode for chromatic aberration - auto is not 100% adequate. 

Agreed.  it's often very good, but there are some times when you can see that a slightly different correction is needed - or you have such an extreme correction that it has confused the algorithm.  Someone has started making unilateral decisions on feature changes and they're leaving functions behind without adequately replacing them.  There is an unspoken expectation that software must always get more functional, not less.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me its UpSystem not sub -  Transcend SSD SLC 64 Gb just for Win and Program Files. WD 10K rpm 600 Gb for cache and saving foto and games. RAW files on WD 2 TB 7200 RE4. 2 x 3 Tb 5400 for data inside + 1 + 2 Tb WD RE4 in external enclosure for backup - mostly offline. + 4 x 500 Gb NAS. MB Asus on Z77 with native SATA600 support.

And main problem imho sometthing wrong with multithreading - in CS5 foto saved 4-in-row - now just 1. And it LONGER than 4 files on CS5. At the same system.

P.S. Im work in IT selling 16 years so own PC is refreshing often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason I use camera raw is for speed, it more closely meets my needs for ease of use when working in a production environment. I find though that 7.1 is slower in a few areas but does seem better in others.

Creating selective adjustments seems to be offering slightly less lag.  I have although found that if I jump to another image too quickly the adjustment I have just made on the first image has now been added to the new image. In the worse case I am selecting all images the change is made to all images.

Multicore processing seems to be what is affected here not memory, at least when saving images. Using Activity monitor I am noticing that 7.1 briefly jumps to using over 500% cpu and then quickly drops to 103% and varies very little until all the images has been saved. CS5.1 used to be very efficient in this. I can't tell you how much because I removed it thinking everything would be peachy... It's not.

While doing adjustments in 7.1, activity monitor is showing over 600% usage GREAT that's what it should be doing.

This MBP is no slouch, it used to be fast but 7.1 is defineatly slower at saving images so much so that I may have to go back to 5.1

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro8,3

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.5 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Memory:          16 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted to Photoshop CS5.1 and have not used CS6 since due to the slow operating of the new camera raw and quite a few other annoyances within Photoshop CS6. I find CS5.1 is altogether a better and quicker program to operate day to day so I would recommend reverting for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ACR 7.1 usable on any current Mac? - It's dog slow on my Mac mini (2.7 i7, AMD graphics, 16Gb ram). Maybe Jeff Schewe is right and we'll have to wait until computer technology catches up with the software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elliot-n wrote:

Is ACR 7.1 usable on any current Mac? ...

Ironically, ACR 7.1 and 7.2RC1 work well in my ill-equipped, dedicated Photoshop 13.0.1 Mac-Intel system, a 2007 MacBook laptop, literally rescued from the trash, with 4 GB of RAM and an external FireWire scratch disk drive.  Go figure.  The only other application I run on that machine is Text Edit.  Spotlight and Dashboard are permanently disabled.

I do run Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and have stayed away from Lion and Mountain Poop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good you have it running well. Using 10.6.8 myself with 2.66 ghz 8 core Nehalem Mac Pro with 33 gb RAM. You'ld think it would be OK but it's too slow for day to day stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines