• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw 7 CS6 adjustments slow to operate.

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to Photoshop CS6 and I'm having a problem with camera raw adjustments.

When loading a batch of images into camera raw all is fine then after a few images have been adjusted everything slows down. Adjustment controls take 1-3 seconds to activate when clicked on.

Using MacPro 2.66 Nehalem 8 core, 32GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, ATI Radeon HD 4870

Any suggestions welcomed.

Have tried:

disabling all plug-ins

Launching Camera Raw from Photoshop and Bridge

Closing all other programs

Adjusting Camera Raw Cache(currently 10gb)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Hi Adriana,

I get slowdowns in the multiple seconds category, sometimes with as little as one image, but always with 10 or more. For example, load 10 nikon d800 raw files, start going down the line adjusting WB, shadow, highlight, blacks, etc, and by the 3rd image, I guarantee you will be having to wait a second or two before you see your adjustments redraw on the main preview image. After that, I usually use the adjustment brush for simple burning,dodging, mostly of faces, or darkening distracti

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tobylong wrote:

Nehalem Mac Pro with 33 gb RAM

Do you get that with 3 x 11 GB DIMMs?    I assume it's a typo.

In all seriousness, Adobe:  Why haven't you continued to address this issue? 

Adriana commented early on, but then....   Nothing. 

A "we've reproduced it" would be great, but even a "we hear you and we're continuing to look into it" would be welcome, I'm sure, to the folks who are unable to use the software until you fix it..

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aye, just a keyboard mishap. 32 gb sounds better. I agree with you're comments Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume Adobe has allocated more resources to their subscription license (i.e., more/new features, more income), and don't have enough time to address existing problems with the software that people already paid for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think in this case it is the software that needs to be more compatible with the hardware...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like ACR 7.2 hasn't helped our problem.

I posted in the photoshop feedback forum here. Screen shots included.

http://gsfn.us/t/360sq

Please chime in to make your issue heard.

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me there are two or more aspects to this issue that should be clarified...  Are we talking about one or all of these?

1. Interactive performance (i.e., how quickly the dialog opens, how well the controls respond). 

For some people apparently the controls operate instantaneously, and for others they see multi-second delays.  Some say the size of Camera Raw dialog clearly affects the interactivity, while others are able to use it interactively at nearly the full size of their monitor.

2. How quickly Camera Raw actually converts (multiple) raw files to images.

Based on my measurements on a multi-core machine, some aspects of interactive performance have been improved in version 7.2.  But for doing blocks of multiple raw conversions this is pretty much the slowest version yet.  But that's somewhat understandable - people always want more functionality, and assuming that takes extra code (not a bad assumption, as past versions were already heavily optimized) then that will come at a cost in speed.  But is it reasonable?

Here are my results of doing blocks of conversions with multiple different versions of Camera Raw to test the throughput.  I converted the same set of 50 raw files to 6144 x 4096 pixel .PSD files, striving to keep the output as much the same as possible between versions of Camera Raw.  All tests were done with 64 bit Camera Raw on Windows 7 x64 with the same reasonably modern 12 core machine.  You can easily see the progression of ever slower performance:

EverSlower.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These will give you a visual idea how the various versions multi-thread (yeah, I know, quite likely more detail than you wanted to know).

CR5.7.png

CR6.6.png

CR6.7.png

CR7.0.png

CR7.1.png

CR7.2.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, So what you are saying is that ACR 7.*** is not supposed to process more than one image at a time, it is however using all the accessible cores to process each image individually? (Based on your screen shots and my test)

If we were to step back to the 2010 process as opposed to the new 2012 process we would have our process times return to what we are used to?

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...  Not exactly.  In my case 7.1 and 7.2 clearly are busying a lot of logical processors, but not all  - as 7.0 did.  Look carefully at all the little graphs - something like 7 of them have gone unused in 7.2. 

But just to complicate things, if I open one image, interactively, the doggone thing DOES seem to use all logical processors!  This is just weird.

I haven't timed opening the files through the 2010 process, but conceivably it's possible it will execute fewer instructions to get the job done.  It would be worth a try.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a new thread regarding a 7.2 issue, but perhaps it belongs in this discussion?....

I've noticed that working in 7.0, 7.1 has been slow, but 7.2 is now painfully slow after clicking "done" -- there is a new "Camera Raw | Updating Settings" modal dialog that freezes progress and seems to last 7-10 seconds for each image edited! Has anyone else noticed this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines