Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw fails to open some DNG files

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am scanning old diapositives using the following setup (on Windows 10 - 64 bit):

• Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 5000
  • Scanning Software: SilverFast 8.8
  • Editing: Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw (Version 12.0.0.322)

I am scaning to a raw ".DNG" format. The problem is that out of a hundred scanned files, Camera Raw loads 95 or so perfectly, but the remaining five a rejected with the message that the files are "not of the right type". All files are created with exactly the same settings on exactly the same hardware. SilverFast HDR can open all 100 files the same, no issues.

How can I fix this? Any help will be appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you import the five after the first 95 load (and you just try those 5)? 

Do you realize that by scanning into DNG, the data is really no more raw than if you simply scanned as a TIFF? Not that ACR shouldn't import those DNGs. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately the exact same five files fail consistently. I cannot open them at all in Photoshop / Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to open them in a different program and convert them to tiff?

As pointed out by the digitaldog, they are not true raw files.

But a 16-bit tiff that contains all the information from the film with no shadow and highlight clipping is as good as a raw file. 

When I scan film, I aim for a histogram that looks something like this, with ample space on both sides, which makes sure that no shadow or highlight detail is lost.

histogram-scan.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as stated in the original post, SilverFast HDR can open all files just fine.

Since you and thedigitaldog are mentioning other file formats as a workaround: The raw files include an infrared layer (for digital dust removal) and a second "multiple exposure" scan pass. There is hardly a better use case for the raw format than diapositive scans. You gain very powerful editing and enhancement capabilities you wouldn't have otherwise. But I am sure both of you will agree that this discussion is really beside the point of my question and probably doesn't really belong here. Photoshop should simply be able to open all files.

I am now rescanning the images in question and (with about 95% confidence) Photoshop can open the new files. This is tedious and should be unnecessary. Of course, it isn't 100% clear whether this is a bug in Photoshop or in Silverfast, but circumstantial evidence surely points to Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like SilverFast isn’t correctly writing some (?) of data to the DNG to spec. They are not the first company to fall into that trap. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. The evidence points to a bug in Photoshop because it is the only application in the setup showing inconsistent behavior and producing errors. Everything else is pure speculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post one of the suspect DNG’s. Then we can test using various products that support DNG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, if the fuel pump has a faulty dispenser, that can fit in the pump receptacle with no problem, but sometimes not in your car, that has a standard fuel tank, do you suspect your car?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines