Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

+ Camera Raw Feature Requests +

Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2005 Sep 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

We're interested in what changes you would like see in our products. Do you have an idea for a feature that would help your workflow? Is there a small change that could be made to make your life a little easier? Let us know!  Share an Idea, Ask a Question or Report a Problem and get feedback from the Product Development Team and other passionate users on the Photoshop Family product Feedback Site on Photoshop.com.

In future it would helpful if you could use this thread as a means to add

"Features" that you would like to see in future releases of Adobe Camera Raw.

Please do NOT create additional new Topics and try not to duplicate requests by other users. Also, be thorough in your description of the feature and why you think Adobe should consider it.

Oh, and if you find it necessary to comment on someone's feature request/suggestion, try not to get into a shouting match. The penalty for doing so is...

b If you're asking that a particular camera is supported in a future release or just taking the opportunity to carp that yours isn't then please do so in another thread!

IanLyons

Forum Host

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 677 Replies 677
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The ability to include the 'silent' reference pixels outside the standard frame in case you framed an image just a little too tightly. "

Stay tuned... ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2005 Nov 03, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy to have some of the current features fixed.

I still can't read RGB readings sometimes when ACR is hosted by Bridge and
also my cursors animate, which is very distracting.

If I have sharpening set to previews only, the Camera Raw metadata reads as
if it has been applied. It always reads, Sharpness: 25. When it should read,
Sharpness: 0.

New features: a quick way of setting the sliders that zero in the middle to
zero. For example, by Opt or Shift-clicking in the text field.

Shangara Singh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do those "'silent' reference pixels outside the standard frame" contain image data then?

A bit like the outer bit of a 35mm slide frame that gets covered by the slide mount, that you need to get at sometimes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nunatak,

Do you think Thomas Knoll would bother with them if they contained no data? :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thomas! And yes, the data in these pixels is indeed quite valid. RawShooter uses all pixels by default, and Silkypix Developer Studio lets you extend your image to include the outer pixels as an option. I like the latter option best, especially for cameras with a 100% viewfinder. WYSIWYG, unless you want to add a little more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, I think Nunatak is innocent at #81! I suspect you were commenting on what I said.

Yes, I shouldn't have said that. I was caught by surprise. What I should have asked is "how many are there, and how good is the quality of them?" (Simon says "quite valid").

With a 2008 x 3008 Pentax, using (I believe) a Sony sensor, what more can I expect? I sometimes frame too tightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, we'll soon see, Barry. :)

Sorry about the misguided reference to Nunatak. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still want to be able to use ACR and turn off the built in profiles. I work mostly with MF digital backs and would like to be able to use ACR and PS seamless with furure DNG files from the backs. Please Mr Knoll, is it possible to make ACR work that way ?

Jörgen Nilsson, Sweden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, Barry,

it's all news to me. i wasn't even aware that any marginal data was being excluded! :-)

does anyone know if it's because the pixels degenerate--like the edges of a film frame, or is it tied to some physical property of the camera's viewfinder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nunatak,

My guess is that it's partly to allow for manufacturing and assembly tolerances. I've also heard these pixels are used for reference purposes, but that would make sense only if the pixels were actually shielded from light, right?

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nunatak, I haven't a clue! I was caught by surprise on this, and still haven't recovered.

But I do wonder - will this apply to old DNGs? In other words, did old DNG Converters strip off the extra pixels, so that a new ACR won't reveal them? Or are they still lurking in those old DNGs, waiting for a new ACR to reveal some pixels we didn't know we had?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simon ...

not sure--but that would make sense. i wonder how much of an offset would be required?

>that would make sense only if the pixels were actually shielded from light, right?

hmmm. theoretically only four pixels would need to be referenced in the array. there are a number of ways that this could be done. one way might be they'd zero those pixels in the factory and then burn the offset into the camera's ROM. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barry ...

>But I do wonder - will this apply to old DNGs?

good question. if not, it could validate some people's concerns about converting their files. personally, i wouldn't worry too much about losing a few pixels. in the print biz it's standard to allot a 1/8" (3mm) tolerance for bleed at the edge of the trim area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shangara,
>I still can't read RGB readings sometimes when ACR is hosted by Bridge and also my cursors animate, which is very distracting.

The latter bug disappears when you launch Bridge first, before launching Photoshop.

I have not seen the RGB readings failure, but it might just go away too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2005 Nov 04, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But I do wonder - will this apply to old DNGs?"

Yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2005 Nov 05, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I give up. No answers about if it would be possible to have ACR to turn off its profiling. I know that there are other professionals out there who are interested in using ACR/PS for their MF DNG files with custom profiles...

Jörgen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2005 Nov 06, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like an ACR option "fit cropped in view".

I have just been ACRing a cropped raw image. "Fit in view" appeared to be fitting the whole original image, rather than the cropped version, in the view, so wasting some of the screen. Perhaps useful when re-cropping, but not when doing the other stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I would like an ACR option "fit cropped in view".

Double click on the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thomas.

It is worth trying double-clicking on things, isn't it? I just found a couple of other things I didn't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2005 Nov 11, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me tell you, that ACR is a great tool converting RAWs. I like it very much. But there is one feature I miss today:

I would like to see CMYK values as an alternative to RGB values as this is possible in Photoshop when setting a marker in ACR. This will be a great help to tune skin tones directly within ACR.

Kind regards
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kudos to Thomas, et al for producing such a great tool.
I went through this list trying to make sure I am being original here - and to the best of my knowledge I am.

1. In, ACR, for the individual tabs: an on/off button, and a reset to last opened state button. I realize you can use the Preview box to show and hide the cumulative effect. What the on/off button would do is allow you to preview just the changes you have made to that tab, and not the cumulative effect. I realize there are a bazillion levels of undo, but there are times when it would be nice to go back to the 'entry state' with a single click. I realize the reset button does this for all the tabs - I'd like this effect for each tab individually

2. Incorporated into the sidecar and/or DNG ACR meta: the ability to have multiple looks, as in multiple groups of ACR settings. They could have a ranking so there is always a primary for use in creating previews, etc. It would be especially nice when I need to have a B&W version, a Cool version and a Warm version of the same image, and even nicer when I have to do this across a group of images. I realize that I can save ACR settings files outside of the file, but it would be nice to have these travel with the file. It would also allow me to preserve what I believe to be the best 'normal' conversion settings, while letting me experiment with, for example, a high contrast, punchy blacks cross process look.

thanks
Andy Batt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that other thread? I would like to suggest a camera, where or more specifically how do I find the proper thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2005 Nov 21, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a DNG feature request, but I don't think it is.

I would like to be able to see in Bridge+ACR the DNG-version information of my DNG files. Perhaps in "File Properties" metadata?

It is not important yet, (just interesting), but in future may well be important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2005 Nov 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to soft proof!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines