Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

+ Camera Raw Feature Requests +

Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2005 Sep 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

We're interested in what changes you would like see in our products. Do you have an idea for a feature that would help your workflow? Is there a small change that could be made to make your life a little easier? Let us know!  Share an Idea, Ask a Question or Report a Problem and get feedback from the Product Development Team and other passionate users on the Photoshop Family product Feedback Site on Photoshop.com.

In future it would helpful if you could use this thread as a means to add

"Features" that you would like to see in future releases of Adobe Camera Raw.

Please do NOT create additional new Topics and try not to duplicate requests by other users. Also, be thorough in your description of the feature and why you think Adobe should consider it.

Oh, and if you find it necessary to comment on someone's feature request/suggestion, try not to get into a shouting match. The penalty for doing so is...

b If you're asking that a particular camera is supported in a future release or just taking the opportunity to carp that yours isn't then please do so in another thread!

IanLyons

Forum Host

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 677 Replies 677
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2007 Feb 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, ACR4 is simply incredible! In terms of pure RAW image manipulation it is massive improvement on ACR3. The addition of 'Recovery' and 'Fill Light' alone have almost made HDR redundant. Fantastic!

But, I have a few suggestions.......

1. The option (as in Photoshop) to alter the size of the Colour Sampler Tool's samples. Ideally, though, I'd like 1x1, 5x5 and 10x10.

Edited: I have only just discovered that a raft of sample sizes have been added to CS3 (great!). A couple of these in ACR would be nice.

2. The option of *both* RGB and percentage samples (as in Lightroom).

3. The option (if this is indeed possible) of Lab color sampler readings. (While I'm at it, would it be possible to have a 'Convert to Lab' option?)

4. Seperate RGB Channels in the Tone Curve. This would permit, for example, establishing the exact individual RGB values of the grey scale in a Gretag Macbeth Color Checker. Obviously, this can be done in CS2/3, but I'd like to be able to do it in the non-destructive, pre-conversion way that ACR permits. (If it is possible to achieve precise values in ACR, please tell me how.)

Thanks.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 09, 2007 Mar 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see some sort of indicator to tell me when Camera Raw is in Auto mode. Maybe it's just me, but occasionally I discover that I have been switched to Auto when I hadn't intended to do that. Just an indicator, not a switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2007 Mar 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Jim Hess' idea of an indicator on ACR sliders. I am thinking of a change of color in the slider "line" so that when you use the slider handle, the line itself changes to a different color. This visual indicator could be different, depending on whether your changes are higher or lower (left or right) of where ACR would place the auto setting for that slider. This way, I can tell when I have made an adjustment to a particular slider. What are the chances of getting something like this implemented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2007 Mar 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't thinking of anything that sophisticated. I was thinking of something as simple as "Auto Adjustment Enabled" being displayed in the top area of the Camera Raw dialogue, that disappears when Auto is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2007 Mar 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable Synchronized *Relative* changes:

After custom adjusting a dozen image, all with a variety of settings, lighten all by the same amount, or warm them all just touch. Rather than setting absolute, "Exposure=+.25"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow multiple xmp for one image that are recognized as co-equal, maybe with comment, e.g., xmp 1="balanced for window light" xmp 2 = "b/w with dark shadows"

Leads to two features a) In batch process mode leads to multiples files if there are multiple xmp files b) With button-mode "select xmp", use could move through each correction to find favorite (or with arrow keys)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Button Mode (relative and/or absolute) to increase/decrease setting:
[temp=3000][temp=4000][temp=5000]
or
[exposure: increase .25][Exposure: decrease .25]
(I know this can be done with arrow key if setting is highlighted, but this would allow quick exposure change with just a mouse click)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

single-key toggle switch for shadow & highlight preview on/off, not just <alt> key + <exposure>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently: Click on neutral to "snap to" white balance
Please Add: Select color from skin-tone pallette, then click to "snap to" selected skin tone, w/ or w/o exposure/brightness compensation

And: User selects key colors (bride's dress, wall color, skin tone) and then use eye-dropper to snap image so sampled portion matches selected color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vignette: allow user to move center of vignette to any part of image, not just center of image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go back to being able to set auto adjustments on the individual sliders rather than the whole group. It seems this was a big step backwards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ain't gonna happen because the Auto adjustments changed for Lightroom compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2007 Apr 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the elimination of the Auto buttons on the sliders is a MAJOR step backwards in useability. There's got to be a better answer than "it ain't gonna happen".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there isn't...so, you can either learn how to use the new Auto, or make yourself miserable complaining that it's changed.

The new Auto Tone really _IS_ much improved over the old multiple autos. . .which most people checked off, most of the time, leaving only one or two parameters checked. Auto, in Camera Raw 4 (which has more controls than 3.7) actually gets most of the settings correct usually only requiring the adjustment of one or two of the parameters...so, to me, it's six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...you are free to disagree...but the guys doing Camera Raw pretty much stated that the change was a one way street and there's no going back. So, pretty much, "ain't gonna happen" is accurate...sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no Auto routine that is going to get "most settings correct" for photographers that "expose to the right" as recommended in in Real World Camera RAW - which is exactly why so many people left only one or two parameters checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There's no Auto routine that is going to get "most settings correct" for photographers that "expose to the right" as recommended in in Real World Camera RAW"

So, have you tested this on real world images? I have...CR 4 Auto Tone (as well as Lightroom) actually does a very decent job of correcting for ETTR images...it may be a bit aggresive on the highlight recovery and normally, I need to adjust the curves parameters-which weren't covered in the 3.x version of auto anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll clarify. I don't see how any Auto routine can know that that my ETTR files are intended to produce a high tone image, where automatically setting any shadow clipping is completely contrary to the desired effect. However, automatically setting *only* the exposure *is* very useful when initially browsing such images and tagging the ones I want to work up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there is the problem...ETTR is intended to add exposure (move histogram to the right) with the intent to redistribute those lighter tone into the dark regions of the image-in effect, taking an overall light image and darken it...by clipping into the "shadows". You don't use exposure to darken the image so much as set the black point where "black" should be-if you hadn't done the ETTR...

You realize that the entire exposure/highlight recovery was changed, right? In CR 4 and LR 1, exposure doesn't do any "recovery"...highlight recovery is a separate control. Yes, it's interconnected...but so are all the rest of the controls. The new Auto Tone in CR4 and LR 1 is actually a lot better at correcting-for an initial round-ETTR images.

No, it won't "work" the same way...but in my experience, it is better. And better is different, I suppose. But, whatever, it ain't going back, so move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the vignette tab. You cant move the vignette around. I use this a lot and want to move the center around in the image. This feature is a very strong feature but never has been updated. It would be nice to have a point to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2007 Apr 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Well, there is the problem...ETTR is intended to add exposure (move histogram to the right) with the intent to redistribute those lighter tone into the dark regions of the image-in effect, taking an overall light image and darken it...by clipping into the "shadows". You don't use exposure to darken the image so much as set the black point where "black" should be-if you hadn't done the ETTR...

Perhaps I have been using the exposure control incorrectly, but I do not use the exposure control to set the black point. Here is my reasoning. Traditional exposure places the mid tones in the scene so that they are also in the mid tone area of the image: gray in the scene is reproduced as gray in the image. If you have a full scale image (one that uses the entire dynamic range of the camera) and render into a gamma 2.2 space, the mid tones will be in the center of the histogram and the extremes of the histogram will reach all the way to the left and right. In this case, any ETTR will blow the highlights.

However, with a short scale scene exposed in the same fashion with a mid tone reading, the histogram will have room on both the left and right. In this case, one can use ETTR and place the highlights just short of clipping. If you expose to the right by 1 f/stop, exposure for all photo sites of the sensor doubles and there is a linear scaling multiplication factor of 2 and everything moves to the right. In this way the information rich brightest f/stop (which contains half the levels of the raw data) is utilized and the increased exposure improves he signal to noise ratio by a factor of sqrt(2). IMHO, the extra levels in the brightest f/stop with ETTR are nice, but the eye can perceive only about 100 of these 2048 levels in a 12 bit raw capture, and the main benefit of ETTR is lessened noise rather than the increased number of levels.

Now, if this image were printed with no exposure correction, the mid tones would appear too light. One can use an ACR exposure setting of -1 to apply a linear scaling factor to the image and move the mid tones back to the the center. The image may appear too flat since it has no true blacks or whites, and one can set the white point and black point as needed for the best effect. Non-linear editing is required in this case for placement of the black and white points.

In the above situation, if one uses exposure to set the black point, the mid tones and highlights will be too dark.

>You realize that the entire exposure/highlight recovery was changed, right? In CR 4 and LR 1, exposure doesn't do any "recovery"...highlight recovery is a separate control. Yes, it's interconnected...but so are all the rest of the controls. The new Auto Tone in CR4 and LR 1 is actually a lot better at correcting-for an initial round-ETTR images.

In his ACR tutorial, Tim Cooper states that the exposure control of ACR works the same in ver 4 as in the previous versions: it applies a linear scaling factor to the image, moving all points in the histogram to the left or right by a constant factor. In my experience, highlight recovery is still possible with this control. If the highlights are still blown after the overall exposure is set to the optimum value, one can use the highlight recovery to apply a non-linear correction to this area as Tim describes. I think that Deke McClelland used a similar approach in his ACR Beta 4 video tutorials, which are no longer available for free viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the above situation, if one uses exposure to set the black point, the mid tones and highlights will be too dark. "

You misunderstood what I was saying. Obviously, you don't use "exposure" to "set the black point" Doh...I said you don't use exposure to darken the image...the darkening comes as a result of setting the black point.

"Tim Cooper states that the exposure control of ACR works the same in ver 4 as in the previous versions"

Roughly speaking yes...but the exposure algorithm is actually different (correct me if I'm wrong Thomas) in that now that recovery is decoupled from exposure, exposure can just be used to set the highlight clip. Between recovery and fill light the whole approach for toning an image has changed in CR4. The parametric curves also radically changes the way the final tone curve is arrived at.

Back to the point that the individual Autos were removed, the way the poster was using it-to try to compensate for ETTR was fundamentally changed in Camera Raw 4 because of the addition of recovery, fill light and parametric curves. Don't you agree?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"Tim Cooper states that the exposure control of ACR works the same in ver 4 as in the previous versions"

>Roughly speaking yes...but the exposure algorithm is actually different (correct me if I'm wrong Thomas) in that now that recovery is decoupled from exposure, exposure can just be used to set the highlight clip. Between recovery and fill light the whole approach for toning an image has changed in CR4. The parametric curves also radically changes the way the final tone curve is arrived at.

As mentioned below, I no longer have CR4 on my system, but as I recall, the exposure control was linear, moving everything to the left or right by a predetermined scaling factor. If the highlights were blown and exposure was used to move the overall exposure to the left, there was some degree of highlight recovery. As I understand the new control, it is nonlinear and affects the highlights more than the remainder of the image, whose tonality may already been OK. We can not use exposure as it should be used, rather than as a de facto highlight setting. would like some clarification in this issue.

>Back to the point that the individual Autos were removed, the way the poster was using it-to try to compensate for ETTR was fundamentally changed in Camera Raw 4 because of the addition of recovery, fill light and parametric curves. Don't you agree?

Yes, I think that the new controls are a marked improvement, but some degree of change in work flow may needed. I removed the CS3 beta from my system because I was getting too much system instability and needed to get some work done in CS2 with the old ACR. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of CS3, which is on order. I understand that there are some further improvements over the beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2007 Apr 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why the Help menu is disabled when the ACR window is displayed? I understand that the window is running modally, but it is possible to support menus behind a modal window.

The Adobe Help application can run concurrently with ACR, and I can switch between them. But I have to remember to start Adobe Help before bringing up ACR. A minor annoyance, but maybe one that is easy to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2007 May 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its taken a while for me to reach the end here, and I must admit I skipped a few pages, so apologies if these feature requests have been mentioned previously!

1. If i have to edit an image in PS, I open it from ACR and eventually choose to save it as a PSD file. I label the images in Bridge such that I filter out the original and just display the final images that I wish to create JPS from - which ends up as a mixture of CR2 and PSD images displayed in Bridge. I love the ability in CS3 to open TIFs and JPGs in ACR, but wish that this was extended also to include PSD files. Without this feature, it means I can't use the Save option within ACR to save all the files I'm interested in, as the PSDs aren't opened in ACR, meaning I have to use Image Processor to create JPGs from the PSDs. Having the ability to open the PSDs alongside the CR2s in ACR would make saving to JPGs much easier.

2. I'd like an option in ACR which allows me to save all images consistently sized despite the fact that some images may be cropped. I have to supply my clients with all images the same size, but if have cropped some in ACR then my only option is running the images through an action PS to do the resizing - having this ability in ACR would make life much easier!

3. last but not least - I know everyone says that the individual auto settings aren't coming back, fair enough! But what the new auto scheme does not allow is:

a. giving us an indication if a slider is set to auto already - maybe the slider could change colour if it is set to the auto value?

b. copying and pasting specific auto set sliders to other images, like it used to be - so if one of the sliders on the source image was set with an auto setting, the slider on the destination images will also be set to an auto setting specific to that destination image - rather than just pasting the value from the source img as it does now!

Enough from me anyways. Thanks, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines