Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

+ Camera Raw Feature Requests +

Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2005 Sep 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

We're interested in what changes you would like see in our products. Do you have an idea for a feature that would help your workflow? Is there a small change that could be made to make your life a little easier? Let us know!  Share an Idea, Ask a Question or Report a Problem and get feedback from the Product Development Team and other passionate users on the Photoshop Family product Feedback Site on Photoshop.com.

In future it would helpful if you could use this thread as a means to add

"Features" that you would like to see in future releases of Adobe Camera Raw.

Please do NOT create additional new Topics and try not to duplicate requests by other users. Also, be thorough in your description of the feature and why you think Adobe should consider it.

Oh, and if you find it necessary to comment on someone's feature request/suggestion, try not to get into a shouting match. The penalty for doing so is...

b If you're asking that a particular camera is supported in a future release or just taking the opportunity to carp that yours isn't then please do so in another thread!

IanLyons

Forum Host

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 677 Replies 677
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2007 Aug 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be...that lack of Clarity in the New Preset dlog is a bug...in the meantime, use the flyout menu>Save Settings...Clarity is in there and it creates a new preset as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas, I'm 63 y/o and got my first ever camera a year ago, played with a CS2 for trial period and bought CS3 when it was released.

The only reason I go into CS3 are the merge functions. I would suggest combining Elements, ACR with the merges and you would have a killer photoediting program with a substantially shorter learning curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chauncey,
>only reason I go into CS3 are the merge functions

Do you realize that ACR is crippled in Elements?

You're really missing out on a lot if you're using ACR hosted by Elements.

>I'm 63 y/o and got my first ever camera a year ago

You're younger than I am, but I got my first camera when I was 11. Used some of my father's before that. :D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2007 Sep 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The (brilliant!) Heal Tool in ACR4 makes a selection to clone from better than I could ever do using the Clone Tool in CS3.

Also, when a speck of dust is against the same background (e.g. white seamless) one can then use the Synchronise button to apply the Heal Tool selection to all the images.

However, as I understand it, the Heal Tool applies the selection to the other images from the *same direction* as it made the selection in the first image. e.g. if it made a selection "due West of the dust speck", so to speak, in the first image, it will do so in all the other images. Obviously, this will result in odd looking mends in images when the selection should have been made in another direction - and which would have been, if the image had been healed individually.

What would be fantastic is if, when the Synchronize button is used, that the Heal Tool would retain the source selection (i.e. the location of the spec of dust) of the first image, but apply an *intelligent* selection of the source of the healing pixels.

In other words, a kind of Action.

I assume that this would require serious number crunching and take longer to execute, but it would always be faster than opening and closing each image individually.

Dust is the Achilles Heal (geddit?! ;-)) of digital photography, and dealing with it is an unavoidable waste of time. Anything(!) that would reduce this time would be welcome.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2007 Sep 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I need in ACR

is a grid like in Photoshop, that would be helpful.

Bent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a small request:

When using the "Saving Images" button in ACR I would like to be able to save the files als .psb (Photoshop Large Files).

Regards
Olaf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" ACR I would like to be able to save the files als .psb"

Considering that PSB files are for images beyond 30,000 pixels and Camera Raw can only handle images under 10,000 pixels, I doubt that gonna happen (or is needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2007 Nov 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see a way to sort images in ACR by camera type, or be able to assign workflow by camera type, rather than have to scan through to find the different camera types to make sure they have the appropriate workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 18, 2007 Nov 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can already in Bridge sort by model and serial number (among lots of other sort options using the filterpanel). From this sort order in Bridge you can develop in ACR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Bridge, I have another cataloging software that I am very happy with and I send images to PS/ACR directly from that software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ACR has no way of "sorting" anything. I guess I don't understand your feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2007 Nov 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be really useful to be able to flip images horizontally in ACR (besides rotating by 90 deg) since sometimes scanning negatives one ends up with images that need to be flipped to be correct, and right now the only way to do this seems to be editing in photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2007 Dec 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR Workflow Options has seven default sizes. That's nice. This is better:

Provide for saves of user custom sizes and an easy way to load them in options.

Why: Because when I know I am outputting to the WEB I want a different size that when I am printing or emailing. Non-destructive sizing in ACR makes more sense than doing it in PS.

In fact, it would be very helpful to provide for user custom settings for Space, Depth and Resolution too.

Thanks,

Dennis Jacobsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2007 Dec 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that un-checking and then re-checking "convert to grayscale" in ACR results in the loss of the slider settings. This happens regardless of whether the "apply auto settings" option is selected in Preferences. This behavior prevents flipping back to the color view to see where different colors are present in the image. It would be helpful if ACR would "remember" the grayscale slider settings when one toggles between color and grayscale modes. (Lightroom does not have this problem; it remembers the slider positions under either mode.)

Even better would be if both the "grayscale" and "color" settings (H/S/L) could be written into the metadata, with a flag indicating which of the two modes is to be used for conversion.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2007 Dec 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a sort of workaround, you can use Undo (CMD/CTL-Z) here. Check the Convert to Grayscale box, set your custom sliders, uncheck the Convert box, and then use Cmd-Z to toggle between color and b/w views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, John, I hadn't even thought of applying "undo/redo" to checkboxes, but it makes sense.

-kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit it is not an original idea of mine. I had a similar question a couple of years back and Bruce Fraser suggested Undo/redo.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have an easier set of keyboard shortcuts for moving back and forth through images.

I currently load up several hundred images at a time that all need minor tweaks and I like to use the mouse with my right hand to adjust the sliders and my left hand to step through the images using the keyboard.

On a Mac I need to use command left or right arrow to move through the images and while command left arrow isn't too bad command right arrow is a big stretch to do one handed on a standard Mac keyboard.

I would prefer a single key stroke to move back or forth in the filmstrip. I'd like to suggest B for back and N for next.

Dave Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2007 Dec 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see some parameter controls other than a single adjustment to Clarity. There are situations where considerable change provides a lot of crispness to the image, except then there are broad halos around edges that have considerable contrast. I then have to revert to PS and tweak it in Unsharp Mask.

A Basic/Advanced capability would be my choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2007 Dec 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss a control á la advanced layer blending sliders for Clarity as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a simple "Undo" button at the top of the screen that would do just that - undo the last thing you did.

This would be particularly useful when your last action was to, for example, click on the arrow above the sliders window and choose "Load settings....".

In my case, this invariably involves applying a load of HSL changes simultaneously. If I want to undo all of these, I have to start editing the image again (don't I?) and this is a pain as I usually apply settings after a lot of other editing has already been done. So, this all goes to waste.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is worth trying CTL-Z or CMD-Z to undo. I believe that if you Load Settings and then hit CTL-Z it will return you to where you were just before you loaded the settings. But if you change something after Load Settings it will only undo that last change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I never knew that!

Very, very useful.

Many thanks.

D. ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since adobe's ACR profile (for my camera, at least) blows chunks... I request they do a better job profiling cameras, or reverse engineering to get better colors, or something.

I know this doesn't affect everyone, some get good colors by default from ACR. But enough of us report it to show it to be a problem.

I'm tired of a bright cherry red car going orange. Yes, I can fix it by fiddling with camera calibration... but that's only because I know what color that car should have been... much more difficult if you forget what shade of color a flower should have been... I shouldn't have to shoot .jpg or open my camera makers RAW viewer just to get clueed in on what shades are being skewed by ACR.

And before you start flaming me... I'm NOT requesting it match the .jpg (although I agree that it IS a valid feature request... TRUE I don't want my final image to look just like the camera .jpg... but its DEFINATELY a better starting point than the shifted colors ACR is giving me by default.)

And that's all I'm looking for... a decent starting point, a way to start editing images without all the fiddling around with color controls, or wondering if the colors are anywhere near what the were colors actually were... or making a preset, only to have the next image with different colors skewed a different way, adjusting for that, and so on. Please just make it work (getting colors quote "accurate" unquote without the current amount of user intervention. I can deal with the flatness, adding contrast, vibrance, etc... but severe, hard to overcome color shifts is asking too much of the end user when other software can get it right.)

Wheteher Adobe wants to do this is up to them, of course... just passing along a request from a lowly user of how ACR could be improved for the masses. Whether it fits in with everyone elses needs or not is another story. This is how it could help me be more efficient and get better results. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards, and thank you to the Adobe team for continuing to improve upon their products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

What camera are you using, and have you tried to calibrate it with the Thomas Fors script of Bruce Fraser's technique?

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines