Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

+ Camera Raw Feature Requests +

Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2005 Sep 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

We're interested in what changes you would like see in our products. Do you have an idea for a feature that would help your workflow? Is there a small change that could be made to make your life a little easier? Let us know!  Share an Idea, Ask a Question or Report a Problem and get feedback from the Product Development Team and other passionate users on the Photoshop Family product Feedback Site on Photoshop.com.

In future it would helpful if you could use this thread as a means to add

"Features" that you would like to see in future releases of Adobe Camera Raw.

Please do NOT create additional new Topics and try not to duplicate requests by other users. Also, be thorough in your description of the feature and why you think Adobe should consider it.

Oh, and if you find it necessary to comment on someone's feature request/suggestion, try not to get into a shouting match. The penalty for doing so is...

b If you're asking that a particular camera is supported in a future release or just taking the opportunity to carp that yours isn't then please do so in another thread!

IanLyons

Forum Host

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 677 Replies 677
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, it`s great that we have lens correction in ACR. But I find it hard to use it. It would be much easier, if I could just draw one or more lines that tell ACR what I want to be straight. For example the right and left side of a building.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>  First off, it`s great that we have lens correction in ACR. But I find it hard to use it. It would be much easier, if I could just draw one or more lines that tell ACR what I want to be straight. For example the right and left side of a building.

Capture One did that (keystone correction) quite nicely UI wise... Adobe should just steal the idea (I mean how it is done interface-wise)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or "steal" the ui from photoshop...

The LR UI does take some practise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not looking for big changes to ACR's Len Correction UI.  Just a little more precision for the Rotation value.  For the cases where I need that greater precision, having to type in the hundredths of a degree after having set the tenths with the slider and/or arrows, would be OK with me.  I just don't want to have to take a detour through PS to get the greater precision.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Auto Noise Profiling button in the Detail tab...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to CS5 and Camera Raw 6.3 and it is great that we now have Lens Corrections in ACR. I've looked for a grid to turn on when doing Manual transform in ACR and can not find one. Since you went to the trouble to include Vertical and Horizontal transforms in the Manual Lens Corrections couldn't a grid like the one in Photoshop CS5 be incorporated in ACR?  If it is there, please tell me where to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I found the answer to my request by Googling.  Typing V while in the Lens Correction will toggle the grid on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a helpful and I believe easy to implement feature request.

Within ACR with the adjustment brush tool I would love to have access to the hand tool simply by clicking and holding my center mouse button (scroll wheel button). Also be able to change zoom on photo by using scroll wheel.  It would also be helpful if this didn't interrupt the adjustment brush tool. (the current method of navigating with the scroll wheel and scroll wheel +shift button is clumsy and I believe my suggestion would be much easier to use and navigate with)

Currently to use the hand tool interrupts the adjustbrush tool and then you have find and reselect your pin, which can be hard to find if it no longer in the field of view.

The more I think about this, the more I think it would be a huge time saver for those of us who spend a lot of time in ACR

2nd Feature Request

I don't understand why this is, but ACR hosted by bridge and hosted by photoshop behave differently. Perhaps because bridge is a 32bit application?

ACR hosted by photoshop 64 is much faster at saving files than ACR hosted by bridge. However, ACR in photoshop has a cap on how many photos it can open at once, where at least with ACR hosted by bridge there doesn't seem to be a limit...( I've had 800 5dmkii raw files open with no problems. Also bridge hosted ACR can load up a second batch of raw files while there are files being processed in the queue, but ACR hosted in photoshop can't

For wedding photographers like myself - it would be great to have the speed of the 64bit hosted ACR in photoshop AND have the ability to load up huge batches of files at once, save those files, then load up a second batch of files in ACR and add those onto the end of the queue while the first batch is still being processed.

This can all be done in ACR hosted by bridge, but you seem to lose the speed bennefits of ACR hosted in 64bit photoshop. I'd love to have the bennefits of both at once!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A VERY loud 2nd to Dan3430's zoom on scroll request:

although I have CS5 and use ACR & PS for all my processing, I still do my

first selection from a shoot (and quick resizes etc.) using FastStone

(freeware - faststone.org) simply becuase they have the basics so

brilliantly implemented - and the most compelling feature keepidng me from

working entirely in Bridge/ACR - the zoom on scroll ability, including to

smaller than full screen (for getting a quick sense of composition and how

the pic looks small), plus their genius side by side comparison tool which

includes this zoom ability. Now I'm not implying that this is in any way a

substitute for PS once you get to processing stage, but for first review and

delete, FastStone wins.

While I'm thinking about features that are better implemented in freeware,

please have a look over GeoSetter (a GUI for ExifTool), and implement the

ability to geosync from GPS gpx files, and more importantly, the ability to

update metadata direct into the original raw file (in my case Canon CR2),

even when applying ACR settings via sidecar files to the .CR2 files. And

don't tell me I should convert CR2 to DNG or buy Lightroom to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of panning while working the entire image using brushes in ACR has been a deal breaker for me. I only use it for minor changes, or changes that do not need to magnify in order to do it correctly. The Brush tool itself is somewhat counter intuitive, with respect to how the brush works in PS. The concept itself is excellent. I would lke to see similar in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonovanKirkwood wrote:

...and more importantly, the ability to update metadata direct into the original raw file (in my case Canon CR2), even when applying ACR settings via sidecar files to the .CR2 files.

If you are talking about writing the .xmp metadata directly into an undocumented raw file format, that's a really bad idea. The .xmp metadata can actually be rather large (particularly if you have snapshots since each snapshot doubles the metadata size). The proprietary raw files from camera makers don't fully document where and how large the areas may (or may not) be reserved for adding metadata. So, writing any kind of metadata directly into a proprietary raw file formats is risky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Schewe wrote: If you are talking about writing the .xmp metadata directly into an undocumented raw file format, that's a really bad idea. The .xmp metadata can actually be rather large (particularly if you have snapshots since each snapshot doubles the metadata size). The proprietary raw files from camera makers don't fully document where and how large the areas may (or may not) be reserved for adding metadata. So, writing any kind of metadata directly into a proprietary raw file formats is risky..

...and yet Geosetter (via ExifTool) implements writing EXIF to CR2 without any problem - been using it for 4 years and never had an issue, broken or unreadable file, or significant increase in file size.

Why would I want to write metadata to a CR2? - precisely because it is proprietry - Adobe's reverse engineering is great, and I use only ACR because of the multiple fantastic features, but Canon's own raw development tool is slightly better at basic raw development. That means I don't wan't to convert to DNG now and lose any future potential to develop that raw file better, and I also don't wan't to rely someone else using my files even realising that their is an XMP sidecar file that not only contains my raw adjustments, but also all the copyright and image data. Just to clarify though, I only really want updating the standard Exif fields with text, which as far as I know complies to a file standard, not e.g. updating embedded preview etc which may be proprietry, although that would be a nice feature later.

It occurs to me that my request was a little off-topic anyway, since I was really talking about a Bridge feature, rather than ACR, and if your reply referred to the ACR adjustments as metadata, I see your point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonovanKirkwood wrote:

That means I don't wan't to convert to DNG now and lose any future potential to develop that raw file better

You're kind of looking for industry-wide integration, and that's just not going to happen.  You have to be willing to take on some disintegration if you want to play all sides of the fence (e.g., Adobe workflow, but also with Canon conversions, etc.).  Personally, I think a bit like you do (my original files are precious too), but my feelings about writing back to input files are just the opposite of yours - I would prefer to Adobe should NEVER write into my original files.  Overwriting them makes them something other than original!

Oh, and don't forget that you need not delete your original raw files just because you've made DNGs out of them.  Disk space is so cheap nowadays that it would be silly to do so.  But I'm sure you knew that and you're just looking to keep your workflow simpler.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, don't want to mess with the sacred RAW image data, just update the usual EXIF fields for copyright, subject, lat long etc. As I said before, works like a charm in GeoSetter/ExifTool, but would be a lot more convenient from Bridge. But of course it should only be implemented with the option of whether to update the raw file or the xmp so you can choose. That way we're both happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dan3430 wrote:

I'm often using the adjustment brush while zoomed in at 100% to move the photo I have to use the hand tool, then go back and select adjustment brush, and if the pin is no longer visible I can't select it again... so the only way to continue is to zoom out on the photo.

You can temporarily access the Hand tool by holding down the Space bar, drag the image where you want and let go of the Space bar. Not need to change tools...

You can also use the Page Up/Down keys to scroll one screen's worth when zoomed in. Command/Up/Down (Control for PC) will pan one screen. You can also use the Home key to move to the upper left or the end key to get to the lower right.

Personally, I'm not sure what having scroll bars would add other than a lot of people don't seem to know the keyboard shortcuts already available...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Personally, I'm not sure what having scroll bars would add other than a lot of people don't seem to know the keyboard shortcuts already available...

Just because you don't happen want them doesn't make them useless, Jeff.  It's a perfectly valid request.  Most of the rest of the world, used to using windows with scroll bars, would find them a direct way to deal with the issue mentioned.

Regarding the speed issue mentioned above by dan3430, I've noticed that the 32 bit Camera Raw 6.4 seems to be a good bit faster than its predecessors...  It seemed that the 32 bit code wasn't multithreading very well if at all before, but now it appears to be doing so somewhat more effectively.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Schewe wrote: Personally, I'm not sure what having scroll bars would add other than a lot of people don't seem to know the keyboard shortcuts already available...

Just to clarify - Dan3430 and I are not talking about scroll bars, but the ability to zoom continuously through multiple zoom levels using mouse wheel (scroll wheel) - I do know and use the keyboard shortcuts but they only zoom in fairly large increments. Admittedly this feature would be more useful in Bridge where in Full Screen Preview mode you can only jump full page - 100% - 200% etcc, rather than in than ACR where ctrl+ ctrl- and spacebar does the job OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lest you forget your place, Grasshopper!

-King J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - Thanks for pointing out the keyboard shortcut using the spacebar to access the hand tool. Very happy about that! I think it would be intuitive to have that attached to the middle mouse button (by clicking and holding in the scroll wheel button) Also, to clarify when I said scroll wheel I didn't mean scroll bars. I think that using the scroll wheel on the mouse is an intutive way to zoom on photos...     Also, is there document somewhere that lists all of the current ACR keyboard shortcuts and features?

As far as the speed issue between ACR hosted in bridge VS photoshop. I just downloaded the latest version of ACR.

10 5dmkii cr2 files opened in bridge hosted ACR took  my core i7 machine 47.68 seconds  to save to full res jpegs. ACR hosted in 64 bit photoshop took 30.47 seconds for the exact same files and save settings which is a 36% decrease in processing time.  Obviously adobe is putting a lot of effort into optimizing some of it's software for multithreading, but I would guess that most ACR users are missing out on this bennefit since the option to "open in camera raw" hosts ACR in bridge.  However, as I mentioned above there are some dissadvantages to hosting ACR in photoshop which undo some of the gains in speed.

Yes the time savings are significant because if you're processing out 800+ wedding photos it means you get your computer back 36% faster

BTW - Adobe - I love camera raw and photoshop - you have helped digital photography along in a big way and I appreciate your continuous improvements to your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At one point it was several times slower to run the 32 bit software, so this is an improvement.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Bridge preferences under the General tab, Clear "Double Click Edits Camera RAW Settings in Bridge" and ACR will now be hosted by Photoshop. The downside is that you have to reopen Bridge after editing the file and click "done". If Bridge hosts, clicking Done returns you to Bridge.

Of course this assumes you are running 64 bit OS. Otherwise, no gain, but the difference running ACR as 64 bit is significant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this thread down here and introducing a new Photoshop Feedback Site.

We're interested in what changes you would like see in our products. Do you have an idea for a feature that would help your workflow? Is there a small change that could be made to make your life a little easier? Let us know!  Share an Idea, Ask a Question or Report a Problem and get feedback from the Product Development Team and other passionate users on the Photoshop Family product http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing duplicate posts...seems like a system error occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines