• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw profile for Tokina 11-20 (Nikon mount)

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased the Tokina 11-20 for Nikon mount.  When using it with Adobe Camera Raw I cannot get the lens correction profile to auto load.  The error message is "Unable to locate a matching lens profile automatically".  However, as soon as I select Tokina as the lens make CR auto-recognizes the lens as the 11-20. This is with CC 2017 and CR 9.10.0.739.  I also installed the latest version of CR 10.xx.xx.xx.xx and the behavior is unchanged.  A user on Fred Miranda reported that he sees the exact same behavior with Lightroom.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Thank you for the sample raw. I think what likely happened is that Tokina updated the firmware of the lens to use a different lens ID from the initial firmware than was used to make the profile in ACR 9.1. I will fix this on our end and submit it for a future release so it will work with either lens ID.

In the meantime, you can workaround it by setting a new Lens Profile Default on a image from this camera/lens combination. That will provide the profile matching logic with what it requires to wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, my suggestion is to deal with it. I used to have a Sigma lens for my Nikon camera that behaved exactly the same way. I just decided that is the normal behavior with some brands. I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked our calibration images from when the Tokina 11-20mm profile was added (ACR 9.1), and the auto matching works fine. A couple of things that could be contributing to it not working for you...

1. Parameters like lens ID and lens name are used to facilitate lens profile matching. Sometimes third party lens manufacturers update lens firmware to change the lens IDs for performance reasons (based on the camera platform). I have even seen the lens name change from a generic name to a more specific model name in lens EXIF. When this happens, profile auto matching can stop working partially, or entirely. This can usually be resolved by amending the existing profile with updated lens information.

2. There may have been a bug fix in ACR I am forgetting about where we made some internal code changes to enable/fix profile matching for this lens. Some third party lenses require internal code to manage lens ID conflicts with native lenses with similar characteristics.

If you post a link to a sample raw file I will investigate to see if either of the above apply.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Here you go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogculdmnachubf3/2017-11-23_0232_Arizona.NEF?dl=0

Camera is Nikon D5500

Lens is Tokina 11-20

I have tried this with CR 10.1 and the problem is still there.  Another user on FM reports the same behavior.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the sample raw. I think what likely happened is that Tokina updated the firmware of the lens to use a different lens ID from the initial firmware than was used to make the profile in ACR 9.1. I will fix this on our end and submit it for a future release so it will work with either lens ID.

In the meantime, you can workaround it by setting a new Lens Profile Default on a image from this camera/lens combination. That will provide the profile matching logic with what it requires to work automatically. Lens Profile Defaults can be undone/reset later if desired.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines