Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw Record Actions and IF Conditionals

Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

wanted to use if conditionals in ACR, is that possible?

for example: I have different presets for different cameras

I don't believe actions are available in the normal Camera Raw but maybe as a plugin or something.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AG,

Not sure what you mean by conditionals here. I can say that ACR is primarily an image adjustment application and does not have any scripting potential.

Can you please provide an example of what you expect to happen when using a Conditional with images? Mind you, I'm not a programer or scripture so please use simple language! ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gary,

Actions, in Photoshop for example, are set of commands that are executed by clicking one button, and therefore make the process a lot easier. Conditionals are IF statements, example: "IF the image is a square THEN apply preset "Square"", i don't think this is possible

My end goal is to distinguish between the angles as i told Chuck. I think eventually this will be done with AI & Machine Learning.

I have another nice idea that is very easy to do, give Presets keyboard shortcuts! this will be great and will help a lot.

Either way, I think ACR really need to take the next step and add Actions. It will give ACR another dimension and take it to the next level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can "Insert Conditional" from the Actions fly-out menu. It's a fairly generic and limited set, though:

conditional1.png

ACR is perfectly actionable, but the action step will just record the current settings. You can, however, toggle the dialog on, and set parameters that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm replying after all this time because I took a different direction to what I tried to do, but now I thought of something that may be in the right direction and can be very good.

on Camera Raw in Photoshop select Open in Photoshop as Smart Object

Let's say you had a RAW file:

> open it in Camera Raw

> didn't do any adjustments (because the purpose is the adjustments will be automatic by a Preset in Camera Raw that will have the same name of the keyword).

> open it in Photoshop as Smart Object

> added the keywords you want by whatever EXIF data or other parameter to distinguish the right keyword (in my case the keywords are different angles to different angles of product: area rug), important to mention this is also an automatic step by a script.

> saved the file as TIFF

so if you had 100 NEF files, now you have 100 TIF files as well that looks like this:
> from this point you record an action that plays a script. the script checks the content of the keywords, example:

var docKeywords = activeDocument.info.keywords.toString()

if (docKeywords.match("Above"))

{app.doAction("Above","Different Angles")}

else if (docKeywords.match("SideView"))

{app.doAction("SideView","Different Angles")}

> the actions "Above" and "SideView" will edit the content of the SmartObject, and select the correct Preset from Camera Raw
The only thing I need to figure out is how to tell a script to call the Camera Raw Preset "SideView", by either standard Photoshop code in JavaScript jsx file or some sort of automation based on screen. but indeed it's the only thing left to do and I believe that's pretty solvable.
Any help on this last step that is in bold will be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no actions or conditionals in Camera Raw, but you can save new defaults based on camera and or ISO:

More info, see this link:Manage Adobe Camera Raw settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chuck, i know about this one unfortunately i need to distinguish 6 different angles of my products that were shot with the same camera (same serial number)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines