• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw Stops Suddenly in Middle of Edit

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked this same question back in July, and it looks like I need to start again seeking a solution.

I am having a problem with Camera Raw freezing, but I think under different circumstances from what I read in other threads. It loads a raw file just fine, it runs at speeds I consider normal, it will open and run Photoshop just fine. I have the latest updates for Photoshop CC, and the latest updates for Win 10 (ACR 10.5, PS 19.1.6). However, at some point in the Camera Raw edit the entire computer will suddenly freeze without warning. It happens at a random moment, but most often on the second image I edit. I'm fairly sure it will always freeze if I continue the edit in Camera Raw long enough. Intricate and numerous brush strokes or movements of sliders may increase the likelihood of the problem occurring. It never happens in Photoshop itself or any other software I run on the same computer. This problem started some 6 months ago even though I have not changed the Win 10/Photoshop setup for many years other than routine updates.

In an effort to fix the problem, I have increased the cache from 10 GB to 60 and then to 100 GB and moved it from my SSD drive to a conventional hard drive. The graphics processor box in ACR has been unchecked always.

When the freeze occurs, there is a delay of perhaps 30 seconds and then a Windows blue screen appears saying there was an unrecoverable error ("your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart") and it is collecting information and will restart. Stopcode WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR.  It then goes into a reboot. Afterwards, everything about the edit is lost. Photoshop has no memory of even what the name of the file was that had been loaded. The Windows Event Viewer/Applications has no events flagged with red as a fatal error, and the events I do see have no particular meaning to me.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

We're sorry to hear about this, in most case the blue screen crash occurs due to a hardware issue. Could you please let us know does it happen in any other application?

Also, please open Photoshop and go to Prefences > File handling > Camera Raw Preferences and uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" and click OK.

Then try testing Camera Raw and let us know if it helps with the issue.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil, according to what I have read the WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR can be caused by a number of issues including hardware. I've tried different graphics drivers, and have eliminated possible competing drivers such as audio drivers, but none fix the problem. It is strange that Windows 10 cannot recover gracefully if the problem is at the application level (i.e., within ACR). Windows can only do a complete reboot. My theory is that the error message is thrown after some inner level of Windows realizes that the system is totally frozen at all higher levels of the operating system. I've also dug into the BIOS and cannot see any obvious problems there.

It is possible that it is a Windows problem and not an ACR problem, but the crash only happens with ACR. It never happens in Photoshop, for example, nor while running word processing and other applications of that sort. The only other application that I am typically running at the same time is Nikon's ViewNX-i, which I use instead of Bridge to find the image I want to edit and to launch Photoshop. The next thing I plan to try is to not run ViewNX and launch from Bridge instead, to see if ViewNX is interfering somehow while idling in the background. This is just a guess on my part, but it is all I can think of to try.

This same hardware and applications used to play well together with no crashes. Something changed about six months ago, but to my memory there have been only the normal pushed-down updates to all of the software I've mentioned for the past five years or so.

"Use Graphics Processor" has always been unchecked so that is not it. Another previous suggestion was to increase the size of the cache. At this point it is huge, at 100GB and the crashes continue to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unquestionably, the system freezes when I am doing a long session in camera raw and at no other time. The more fine touchups I do with a brush, for example, the more likely of a freeze and loss of all my edits. Any adjustment can bring on a freeze. It does not happen if an edit session is open but I am not making edits. Too bad ACR doesn't have an auto save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reference to my earlier comment, it is not ViewNX-i that is causing the freeze ups.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the history feature in ACR? One possibility is that the history recorder is overflowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate it when there is no solution... it looks like I have to find another way to process raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce,

I'm a Mac user and do not know for beans about Windows.

I have to ask some questions though for things to add to consideration:

Does this happen to ALL of your raw images or only a few?

Have you tried to convert them to DNG prior to processing them? (Alternatively if you do convert them to DNG, what happens of you do not do the conversion?

Since Lightroom and ACR use the same engine, have you tried to process them in Lightroom?

My heart goes out to you, hate it when these kinds of things happen...

Please let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a great deal of randomness to the freezing, and I haven't figured out a pattern yet. The problem comes up when editing every second or third image. So I do often get through an edit without a freeze, but I don't recall doing more than two in a row without freezing, however.

Although a bit hokey, one possible solution is to do frequent saves and when it freezes start in again after Windows completes the reboot. ACR does not have autosave capability but I could do manual saves. Doing frequent saves does seem to actually delay the freeze, and actually I've had only one time where it froze if I remembered to save frequently. The problem is that in the heat of the session I don't always remember! Using the DNG Converter was one of my thoughts to try. I would lose some of the power of ACR, however. I am not a Lightroom user so there would a learning curve to deal with, but it would probably do everything I am now doing with ACR and it would be interesting to see if it also freezes. I am a Nikon user and Nikon has a product called Capture NX which is probably a better RAW converter than ACR for Nikon files anyway. Capture NX does not export images as a DNG so I would have to open PS with TIF files. I do like ACR and it is a shame if I am unable to continue to use it. The last possibility is to buy a whole new computer and see if that fixes it. My present computer is fast and loaded with memory and I could use it for everything else except ACR so it would not be a complete loss.

I do wonder how many CC users out there are actually using the full power of ACR and then moving the edit to PS, as I am doing. Most of the photographers I know are using LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont be too fast to ignore DNGs, from what I’ve seen a number of those that poopoo them are sitting on very tall fences. Besides, you state that DNG would force you to lose some of the power of ACR, huh? How could that be.

A bit of history: many camera manufacturers maintain their raw files in a cloud of secrecy for some propietary reason or other. That why you need to use Nikon software for your camera and I need Canon software for my camera. These compan share squat with Adobe. So what Adobe did was to backdoor navigate the files to access them and created the DNG format. This was released as open sourced files so any and everyone can access and use the format.

I suggest you you try one of your files both ways and see if you can see or observe any difference in appearance or performance.

but Back to your orig issue, there’s something strange going on that is abnormal. Adobe would be out of business if that was standard operating procedur.

Let me me know how things work out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe DNG converter only does a conversion from the camera's native RAW file into a .dng. It has no editing capabilities. What I did not realize until I tried it tonight is that Photoshop cannot open a .dng --it still has to go through Adobe Camera Raw. So I gain nothing by using the DNG Converter as far as I can tell.

You are right, my problem must be abnormal as there would be a general outcry if everyone's ACR was freezing up their computers. I have either a quirky combination of something that crashes ACR or it is a Windows/Hardware issue. If anyone from Adobe has read this thread I'm sure they are assuming the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's be clear: did you try to uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in Camera Raw Preferences?

ACR.png

My next suspicious item would be View NX. Keep that out of the equation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Q: "Let's be clear: did you try to uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in Camera Raw Preferences?"

My answer: "Yes. The box you show in the graphic is unchecked, and has been unchecked for at least two years."

About View NX: "I have been running Camera Raw both with ViewNX running in the background, and with it totally out of the equation. It seems to make no difference, the occurrences of the computer freezing seem to be about equal either way."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines