Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw [Unable to open Canon 80D Raw files in CS6]

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Adobe CS6. I have a Canon Rebel T3i and recently purchased a Canon EOS 80D. I have gone through all the steps, installed the appropriate updates for Camera Raw that works with my 80D, but still cannot access any photos I've taken in the RAW format. Adobe says I am still using my older version of Camera Raw. Also, when I try to click on "Updates" under the help icon in CS6, it cannot open. Can someone please help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

jaymkay7@gmail.com  wrote

installed the appropriate updates for Camera Raw that works with my 80D, but still cannot access any photos I've taken in the RAW format.

See the following link for supported cameras and the minimum version of Camera Raw required to read the Raw files

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The Canon 80D was first supported in Camera Raw 9.5.

That means that, even if you update CS6 to the latest version of Camera Raw (9.1.1) which is compatible with CS6, you still won't be able to o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use CS6 menu  Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw see it you have ACR 9.1.1 installed....

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaymkay7@gmail.com  wrote

installed the appropriate updates for Camera Raw that works with my 80D, but still cannot access any photos I've taken in the RAW format.

See the following link for supported cameras and the minimum version of Camera Raw required to read the Raw files

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

The Canon 80D was first supported in Camera Raw 9.5.

That means that, even if you update CS6 to the latest version of Camera Raw (9.1.1) which is compatible with CS6, you still won't be able to open Raw files from the Canon 80D. No matter how many updates you try and install, you won't be able to install any version later than Camera Raw 9.1.1.

To work with 80D Raw files, you have a couple of options:

1. Join the Cloud and open the 80D Raw files in Photoshop CC, or
  2. Free option: download the free Adobe DNG converter, batch convert all 80D Raw files to DNG format then edit the DNG files (not the Raw CR2 files from the 80D) in CS6. An extra step for you but no extra cost.
    Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC
    Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

That solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG Converter currently showing in the link is version 9.1.2. Will it work on Canon 80D files?

Second, I updated Photoshop CC and when I look at the Camera Raw (as described above) it still says 9.1.2.

When I go to Adobe CC, it says Camera RAW is up to date.

Why is this so confusing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwArtWorks  wrote

The DNG Converter currently showing in the link is version 9.1.2. Will it work on Canon 80D files?

Yes.

Second, I updated Photoshop CC and when I look at the Camera Raw (as described above) it still says 9.1.2.

When I go to Adobe CC, it says Camera RAW is up to date.

Why is this so confusing?

Agreed. The updating mechanism in the Cloud Desktop App seems to get confused easily and not recognise when updates exist.

Try updating manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC isn't letting me open my CR2 files from my Canon 80D either, and when I try to use the Adobe DNG Converter, it says "The folder does not contain any supported Camera Raw files" (even though that's where my CR2 files are).

My Camera Raw version is 10.1.

Please help! This is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload one of your 80D CR2 files to a server like dropbox and post a like to it. I do not have a 80D so I download an 80D Raw file from the web and ACR 10.1 had no problem opening it.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't upload the file as it's proprietary for a client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have your 60D it can give you one that is yours? Test that new CR2 before uploading it see if it works in ACR 10.1

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an 80D, and that's the other weird thing: we tried taking a dummy picture to reproduce the issue which we could share, and that file was able to be opened just fine.

Also, the files I can't open show up in the Finder (macOS) preview window without issue, so I know the file itself isn't entirely corrupted or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Raw file contain a Jpeg preview image because Raw data can not be display as a RGB Image. So you cameras firmware postprocess the RAW data into a Jpeg preview image so the camera can display your image for you.  This Jpeg image may be what Finder is displaying for you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines