• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change the size of a DNG file in ACR ??

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with ACR v 5.7.0.213, Win XP Pro SP3.

I convert my D800 NEF files to DNG using the Adobe DNG converter v 7.1.

I need to reduce the size if my DNG's for quicker upload to a client's editors in Asia

I recall reading somewhere something by (I believe) Thomas Knoll that the file size below the large image panel in ACR is a link that can be used to change file size.

Sure enough.. then I change the size using the menu that opens and save the edited files out as jepgs.. works fine.  The new jepg files come up sized with the new reduces size.

But.. then I follow the exact same procedure and try to save the files as DNG's.. they save out as the original size.

Can I reduce my DNG size any way with ACR?  If not.. how?

One of my main clients requires that I upload only RAW files to their editors in Asia.  I'm using my D800 body instead of my D3 because of the camera's excellent vitrtual horizon that levels both ways  (the D3 body only levels side to side).

Their editors can't read my native D800 NEF's, and can read my converted DNG's.

I work on a mobile broadband connection and the data caps and expense for what I need are killing me

Thnx in advance..

CDM NYC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

I can compress the NEF files in the camera... Keeps the pixel dimensions the same; but drops the file size about 30 % and... according to reviews.. virtually no loss in image quality

Seems to be the answer... for now.

Thnx again for the input..

Cheers

CDM

NYC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the dng converter and in the preferences select Use Lossy Compression

lc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. I've tried that. What happens is the DNG's come up unreadable. When I have (in preferences) the "Use Lossy compression" turned off (i.e. "Don't use Lossy Compression), the NEF's convert to DNG's at the original size.. no problem. But when I try to apply "Use Lossy Compression" the DNG's cone up as DNG icons.. Bridge can't read them. Driving me nuts. Any ideas?

CDM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows xp can use up to dng converter 8.3, so see if the 8.3 dng converter does any better.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that.. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing the problem is that camera raw versions  before 6.6 aren't compatible with the lossy compressed dngs produced by the newer dng converters and that's why bridge cs4 won't show the thumbnails, since bridge relies on the camera raw plugin to produce thumbnails of camera raw and dng files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I'm thinking the same thing.. Getting no hel;p from Adobe.. of course.

I've been delaying moving up to Win10 Pro until I can combine it with a new workstation as well.. 64 bit, etc. Really don't want to screw around with installing the OS on to an 'older' machine.

Meanwhuile.. will have to figure something out.

Cheers.. thanks for the feed back

CDM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I can compress the original NEF files in Nikon View NX before I convert them to DNG's.... or.. is there another way to compress NEF's that you know of?

CDM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can compress the NEF files in the camera... Keeps the pixel dimensions the same; but drops the file size about 30 % and... according to reviews.. virtually no loss in image quality

Seems to be the answer... for now.

Thnx again for the input..

Cheers

CDM

NYC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines