• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't convert Canon CR2 RAW files to photoshop CS2- please help!

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT and am using Photoshop CS2 and can not open my Raw images. Canon saves the images as a CS2 file. I guess needs converting.. Please Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brenda.

How are you trying to open the CR2 files? Are you using Bridge or are you using File > Open in Photoshop?

Are you getting any sort of error message?

Make sure you have the Camera Raw filter installed in Photoshop. Go to the Help menu, select About Plugins and see if Camera Raw is listed there. If so, click on it to see what version is installed.

Let us know what version you have.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Raw

plug in ver. 3.7 and I can't open canon raw files for canon 5D pro II .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the fact you are adding your post to a thread over 1.5 years old (better to start your own) this topic has been heavily covered in this forum.

You need to convert the files to DNG using the free DNG Converter available here or update to Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2007 Apr 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John and Brenda,

I am having the same problem. I can't open a CR2 file either directly in Photoshop or through Bridge.

The message states the request couldn't be complete because PS doesn't recognize this type of file.

I do have a Camera Raw Plug-in 3.0.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would do is update the plugin to the latest version. Go to the Photoshop Help menu and click on Updates.

Once you have the newest version try it out again. If it still doesn't work give us more information. What camera are the files from?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2007 Jun 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have camera raw 3.7 and still cannot open cr2 files. I'm getting a message that says "could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurie, what camera are these Cr2 files from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is a EOS 5D. The files are from a freelancer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to know for sure, Laurie. Even though the files have the same CR2 extension, they are very different from each specific camera model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for the 5D was added in Camera Raw 3.3. So please make sure you do have 3.7 installed. Go to Photoshop and click on the Help menu, select About Plugins and then select Camera Raw.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll double check the type of camera. I have already checked the version number. It is 3.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you Purged the Cache for the offending folder(s)? Go to Tools menu in Bridge:

Tools > Cache > Purge the cache for 'foldername'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2007 Jun 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purged the cache. still didn't open. I did find out that the camera is a Canon EOS-1D Mark III.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "I did find out that the camera is a Canon EOS-1D Mark III".

Not supported until ACR 4.1 or the 4.1 DNG Converter or Lightroom 1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which means i need cs3 right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You either need CS3, or you can use the DNG Converter (free) to convert the Canon files to DNG files that CS2 can read.

Mac DNG Converter is at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3644

Windows DNG Converter is at
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3645

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for their help. I download the DNG Converter; it worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get my pictures to be seen in regular windows instead of using photoshop it is easier to move files and sort if I can just see them in windows. Is there a plug in for windows for cr2 files??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a plug in for me to view CR2 files in windows? They are still in RAW format. Will they open in windows if I have a plug in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

You need software to make the ones and zeros (which is all that RAW files consist of) and process it into visible images.

ACR 4.1 is one such program.

Then you need to Save the processed image (that is displayed by ACR) into a form that will display in, and print from, your chosen program.

Which Application's "Window" did you have in mind? A web browser perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errr I think he means Windows as in Windoze.

(The ACR forum is platform agnostic. 😕 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rather thought that he might!

But in what is he hoping to see his images?
Word? Text Edit (or whatever M$ calls it)? His Web Browser?

8/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines