Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open CR2 files in Photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CC 20.0.4 ACR 11.2.0.135 Mac OS 10.13.6

I downloaded Adobe DNG Converter 11.2.1 (159) and it apparently doesn't recognize CR2 files, which are grayed out.

Please advise.

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that you're not able to open CR2 files in Photoshop, could you please let us know what camera model you're using?

Also, have you tried reinstalling the camera raw plugin and see if it helps? Camera Raw plug-in installer

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images in question were taken with a 5D MkII (which was modified in 2010 for use in astronomical images). I reinstalled the ACR plugin. No joy. I get this error message:

Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload one of your CR2 files to Dropbox or similar and post a link here so we can download it?

We can try opening it on our systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the point of that. The files open fine with Apple's Preview app, Pixinsight, and Photoshop CS6. It also opened with whatever the current version of Photoshop was in November 2018 when I created the images. They just don't open with the version of Photoshop CC I have now, as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Up to you. Just offering to help.

We can confirm if the issue exists on our systems too which would be reportable as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK. It may or may not be a bug but it apparently is a one-off and not likely to be a high priority to fix. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.

Does that mean we can close out this discussion and mark it Assumed Answered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your call. I'm signing off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i dont no how to thank you bro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I need to process images from a shoot yesterday, and I can't open CR2 files that were fine until this latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you please send us the file you are unable to open, together with your system info? Photoshop>Help>System Info copy and paste it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem. It did not recognize the file because the Raw plug-in wasn't installed. Apparently, we need to install this plug-in separately. It's always been a part of previous installations, so that threw me off. I installed the plug-in and it works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A version of the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plugin is always installed by default when you install Photoshop. The exact version of ACR which ships with Photoshop depends on which version of Photoshop you are installing.

Perhaps the updated Camera Raw plugin required to support the CR2 files from your camera was not installed? All updates have to be installed separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue right now. Photoshop and Bridge cant open CR2 files although Adobe Creative App says the Camera Raw plugin is installed. See attached pic (sorry for Czech language):

CR2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the DNG Converter, you must select the folder the files reside in and not individual files, in order to make the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines