Can't open my RAW files in photoshop from iPhoto...

Hi all,

I have a Nikon D5100. Recently, since I got a new computer, I no longer have the Nikon raw converter/editor software installed. I decided to try my luck with just uploading my photos to apple's iPhoto program & editing them in Photoshops RAW editor. The photos upload fine to iPhoto, but I have not been able to get them to open in Photoshop RAW no matter what I try. I first tried dragging a photo (which says in iPhoto that it is still the raw NEF file,) directly onto the photoshop logo in my dock, but that had no response at all. I then tried opening the photo directly from Photoshop with File>Open. This opened the image in Photoshop but automatically converted the image to a JPEG for some odd reason. Finally, I tried dragging the photo from iPhoto to the desktop to see if it was a problem with iPhoto specifically, but the computer automatically converted the photo to JPEG once on the desktop. Anyone know what I can do to get it to open as its actual file is, a NEF raw format? (And yes, my Camera Raw CC program is completely up-to-date.)

Thank you in advance for any help!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Can't open my RAW files in photoshop from iPhoto...

Hi all,

I have a Nikon D5100. Recently, since I got a new computer, I no longer have the Nikon raw converter/editor software installed. I decided to try my luck with just uploading my photos to apple's iPhoto program & editing them in Photoshops RAW editor. The photos upload fine to iPhoto, but I have not been able to get them to open in Photoshop RAW no matter what I try. I first tried dragging a photo (which says in iPhoto that it is still the raw NEF file,) directly onto the photoshop logo in my dock, but that had no response at all. I then tried opening the photo directly from Photoshop with File>Open. This opened the image in Photoshop but automatically converted the image to a JPEG for some odd reason. Finally, I tried dragging the photo from iPhoto to the desktop to see if it was a problem with iPhoto specifically, but the computer automatically converted the photo to JPEG once on the desktop. Anyone know what I can do to get it to open as its actual file is, a NEF raw format? (And yes, my Camera Raw CC program is completely up-to-date.)

Thank you in advance for any help!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
1 Reply

Re: Can't open my RAW files in photoshop from iPhoto...

Adobe Community Professional, Jan 06, 2018

I think you need to keep iPhoto out of it. I'm not a Mac user, but I understand iPhoto has its own way of doing things.

Just copy the NEFs from your memory card directly to your hard drive. That's the normal way to do it. A card reader is preferred for file integrity and safety reasons, but you can also connect the camera directly.

View all replies

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines