Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Read CR2 Files...Says "It Is Not The Right Type Of Document"

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I'm kind of beginning to panic because I took hundreds of photos on a recent trip and uploaded them to my computer.  It seemed like everything was fine, so I deleted many (but not all) of them from my memory card in order to make room.

Upon returning to my computer though, I realized that every time I tried to open a photo, it told me "Could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document."  And when I went to other programs to see if they could view the files, it was the same thing--they said it was not viewable or workable in any way.

I tinkered a bit, and tried re-downloading the photos that were still on the card.  This time I used Digital Photo Professional to do the downloading, instead of copy/paste like I usually do.  Suddenly all the photos were viewable.  Indeed, when I sent the photos directly from the camera to my cell phone over Wi-Fi, I received a perfect jpeg every time.

So while I am grateful that I managed to save many of them, there are still a couple hundred that I have so far been unable to recover...some of which I would very much love to see again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has an explanation as to why the files would be fine if I download them one way, but not another, that would be appreciated as well.

Some notes:

- I have completely updated all the Adobe CC programs and drivers to the best of my knowledge.

- I have a Canon 5d IV, and use a 128 GB Lexmark CF card

- When I look at the properties of the "bad" files, it tells me the right date, time, and even says it's a CR2 file.  But all the files are the same size, and it says that size is 28 GB, which is obviously huge (and wrong).

- I have tried converting them to TIFF files, to no avail.

Thanks in advance everyone...really appreciate the help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Here is a list of supported cameras for CR 10.0:

Adobe Camera Raw

Your camera is listed with a note: Preliminary support meaning a full profile may not be available at this time.

Until an update is available, you could try using the DNG converter:

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which program are you using, so this message may be moved to the specific program forum?

Along with the program name, which version of Camera Raw do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried Photoshop, Bridge, and Lightroom.  All are unable to show me the photo.

When I click on the Camera Raw icon, it tells me that I am using version 10.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a list of supported cameras for CR 10.0:

Adobe Camera Raw

Your camera is listed with a note: Preliminary support meaning a full profile may not be available at this time.

Until an update is available, you could try using the DNG converter:

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines