• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1

New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1, from the 7.1 setup file I downloaded, I get the error:

"Update failed

Updates could not be applied

This patch is not applicable for you. Please check for updates from the help menu in your product to see a list of latest updates available."

If I go to help in Photoshop CS5 and click on updates, it says that all of my programs are up to date, but Camera Raw is still 6.7. It absolutely refuses to update to 7.1

I just traded in my Nikon D3100 for a Nikon D3200 and 6.7 does not support it, but 7.1 does, so I REALLY need it to upgrade because I like to shoot in RAW.

Please help????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So in otherwords, I am forced to upgrade now whether I wanted to or not

just install CS6 as trial - you will be able to use ACR to convert your raws to DNG then hopefully Adobe will update their DNG converter... if not, after your CS6 trial will expire - do the same trial with LR4 - that again hopefully will carry you to the next DNG converter release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPpulido wrote:

That is exactly the point, how is possible to consider a software OLD and OBSOLETE and UNSUPPORTED if the software ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5 PRODUCTION PREMIUM, was sold DIRECTLY by ADOBE, 9 months ago. It is not unrealistic it is a rip-off.

Again, your expectations are unrealistic...while you may have bought CS 5.5 only 9 months ago, you did so on the end of the upgrade cycle...you should have expected a new upgraded version would not be released not long after you bought CS 5.5.

Nature of the beast...your expectations that CS 5.x would be upgraded was unrealistic...once a new version ships, the outdated versions will not ever be upgradable...your bad dooode...and again, the solution to your issue is the free DNG Converter–which is free BTW...something Adobe did NOT have to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you bought CS5 very recently (I don't know the cut-off), you might get a free upgrade. I'm sure I read something like this somewhere, but I've slept since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open the RAW files from a D3200 in the latest ViewNX2 which is free from Nikon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still dealing with the DNG converter, thanks Adobe for the converter, but no thanks at all for don't suppor CS5.5, I think I lose a lot of money in your products, I cannot open my RAW (without workarrounds)  files with your software, especifically CS5.5 photoshop exended.

You know camera raw is a great plugin and you are forcing us to upgrade in order to have the version 7.1

Why you dont sale Camera Raw as an independent product? mmm.... maybe I know.

Marco

PD. my recomendation, if you are a CS6 customer, be aware than maybe your next camera will be supported only in CS7, and you have to pay the updrage, if you are planing to upgrade your camera don't buy CS6 wait until CS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marco, you have paid for an upgrade to a new camera that became available after the previous version of the Adobe software was released.

Why is it difficult to think that you need to pay for new software that became available after the camera came out to support it?

Sure, it would be nice if Adobe was kind to existing users, but since they don't really face customers going to the (non-existent) competition, they can clearly make more money selling you new software.

But it's not all bad - don't look now but there ARE some very nice new features and enhanced image quality in the new version that alone make it worth paying for.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPpulido wrote:

You know camera raw is a great plugin and you are forcing us to upgrade in order to have the version 7.1

You are not being forced...you are being encouraged to upgrade to a superior raw processing output. That's why the engineers keep advancing the art.

You can keep using DNG Converter (which allows people using as far back as Photoshop CS) that allows free backwards compatibility. Sure, you're pissed because in order to get the best, most recent raw processing you need to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7. This has been the policy since ACR was first released in Photoshop 7. You want the new stuff? Pay up, otherwise use the free DNG Converter...(which BTW, Adobe is under zero obligation to provide)

Really, you aren't going to get much sympathy from current users of Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7. Really, the new version is worth the upgrade price by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, pay up like the rest of us did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how much did you paid, i paid more than 18 hundred bucks 10 months ago for the CSC5.5 production premium suit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your point, MP?  That you bought a lot of valuable software?  That you waited until near the end of a release cycle to do so?

There are those of us who have given Adobe that much and more.  If you want to play, you have to pay.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPpulido wrote:

how much did you paid, i paid more than 18 hundred bucks 10 months ago for the CSC5.5 production premium suit...

Like any other honest, mere mortal, I've been paying full price for each upgrade to a new version of Photoshop since I started using it a decade ago or so.

I also paid full price for Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I only upgraded them as my needs warranted.

What I have not done is fall pray to the mindless buying into a "suite" concept.

The "suite" concept is an invention of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.  The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

If you bought into the suite gimmick, I can see why you are upset at being faced with a major expenditure just to upgrade to the latest version of ACR now.  That was your choice when you fell for the suite concept.  Caveat emptor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of You are right, it was my mistake, I took the choice to buy that suite, because I am impressed by the quality of adobe products, I am still impressed but I use to have another levels of support on mayor software producer like oracle, the support life for their product are almost 10 years.

I was misinformed and it was my fault, for my a plugin compared with the whole suit is just a minor patch. But in adobe world is is not, again my fault.

Now I am feeling worst, because the subscription option is from my point of view the best option but I didn't took it.

But as you commented I don't need the whole suite as I don't need a subscription to all products, if I have an option to take a subscription only for photoshop and camera raw of course by a fraction of the price sure I will take it, but again what should I pay for a full hotel if I only require a room.

I need your advice, what is the cheapest way to have camera raw 7.1 or 7.2 and future cs6 upgrades for camera raw; as you know I have cs5.5 production premium and I don't require the full upgrade to cs6.

I really appreciate your help.

And my advice. Was not for experts as you, but for newbies like me. I know I had to wait  5 months go get cs6 and not cs5.5 but nothing to do now.

Marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marco,

To be even more frank, I have been paying for the Photoshop upgrades after Photoshop 10.x ("CS3") only in order to get the latest version of ACR.  I do not need any of the Photoshop features beyond those of Ps 10.x.  I thought I was going to stick with that version for ever.

Then came some great advances and new features in ACR 5.x, so I upgraded to Photoshop 11.x ("CS4") just to get the latest ACR.

When Photoshop 12.x ("CS5") came out, I was totally underwhelmed, and ACR 6.x didn't move me to upgrade at all.

Then came the amazing rendering of raw files in ACR 7.x, and I jumped at the opportunity to upgrade to Photoshop CS5.1 with the promise of a free upgrade to Photoshop CS6 just a few weeks later.  That's how I ended up with Photoshop 13.0.1 and ACR 7.2RC1 for the single price of the Photoshop CS5 upgrade.

Camera support is not an issue for me, as my older cameras are already supported and my newer ones shoot DNGs natively anyway.

The subscription concept is a terrible idea from my point of view.  I find the mere thought of committing to paying a monthly tribute to Adobe for the rest of my life simply abhorrent.  That's worse than the suite concept.

Adobe has ceased to be in the business of selling software applications.   In order to survive, the corporation must be in the business of selling software upgrades--or rope its customers into paying the monthly Adobe protection fee in perpetuity.

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade from a whole suite to a single point application, so you are stuck in that respect.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find myself with two choices:  buying a full version of Photoshop that I can upgrade on its own in the future, or buy a full version of Lightroom that I can also upgrade individually. As I neither like nor use Lightroom, I'd go for an individual perpetual license to Photoshop.

Realistically I do not need any upgraded new version of any the Adobe applications.  If it weren't for ACR, I'd still be using Photoshop 10.x ACR is worth the $200 upgrade price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you MPpulido. You're the only person on here with an ounce of common sense.

The way the average consumer in the digital age has been turned into a sad techno junky as if its laudable or desirable is pathetic.

Software, mobile phone, computer and camera manufacturers are constantly feeding off each others developments to justify the latest upgrade.

To suggest this is done in the interests of "art" or for the benefit of the consumer is chronically naive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what, the high tech companies should just all go out of business?  They've already sold one to virtually everyone who's buying.  You're saying that should be good enough.  What do they do after that?  Just stop?

You're neglecting to acknowledge that there are new and better things being done, which are valuable and the creators deserve to be paid for them.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64 Noel Carboni, Have you really stopped to think about what you're saying?

I have just sat through watching some developer talk about a new focussing tool in CS6. He called it something like "a toy model effect" - laughable. Has nobody thought to tell him how crap this is....that view camera operators knew about this yonks ago and avoided it like the plague.....and for good reason.

There is nothing new under the sun and avarice by the digital age being passed off as "genius" by geeks is a sad reflection of just how gullible some of us are.

I forget which version of Photoshop missed out "contact sheet". This was always useful and the developers knew by withdrawing it it would - in itself - justify an upgrade down the line.

Now then ask yourself, was this "genius" or avarice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think about everything I write, yes.  Thank you for asking.

I don't fault people for wishing they could get more for their money - we all want that.  I even sang the same song once, until I educated myself on what's available and really did think about how things work.  Then I realized how ridiculous that position is.

No one's making the software you bought last year work worse than it did last year on your computer from last year.  You're getting all the value you paid for, and you are still able to use it this year and from now on.  You even get to use the brand new releases of DNG converter for free, so you don't have to worry about new cameras coming out that your current software does not support.

But if you want to play with the new features in the newest releases you've got to pay.  Where is the fault in that?

You call it greed, I call it what the market will bear.

It's not like those who have bought the previous version are out in the cold.  You get deeply discounted upgrade pricing if you'd like to keep current.  And, if you were so naive as to buy the last version within a month of the new release, they give you a free upgrade.  What, would you have them extend that to 1 full year of free upgrades?

Let me ask you this, Cromwell:  Would you consider working for the next year for free - doing the same work you've been doing?  After all, you have already been paid for doing it this year.

In turn I invite you to think.  It doesn't hurt.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Carboni, thanks for the prompt.....and you're right it does not hurt to think so please; practice what you preach.

My point about certain tools holds true and what do you know - "Contact Sheet" is back on CS6, amazing!! I notice you didn't choose to "think" about this point but Adobe have, WOW!!

Why is it so painful to you to merely admit that it was unnecessary for Adobe to remove this feature in the first place?

Surely a bit of honesty wouldn't hurt, would it?

Recently I bought a new Canon Camera and the Raw files wouldn't open in either CS4 or Lightroom ( I expected this) so got upgrades ........no problem until I realised that these are not compatible with something called "Snow Leopard"

As well as my my Mac Pro I have an I Mac which is another cat - LION. "So", I ask the expert, "I'll put LION on my Mac Pro?" "No" he says, "you need to get MOUNTAIN LION!" FFS, how many bloody cats are there?

Passing the Apple Store a few days later I chatted to a friendly "genius" who assured me that I could do this on line via "App Store" but I'd first need to get the latest version of "SNOW LEOPARD".

Back home I realise that there is no "App store" on my Mac Pro 10.5.8 and that the OS upgrades for SNOW LEOPARD start at 6.1 and I need 6.0!

I need MOUNTAIN LION but cannot do this without first upgrading SNOW LEOPARD to a cat inbetween but I have to do this in stages and one of the upgrades necessary is not available.

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live .....all I want to do is get the benefit of the improved software and higher spec camera on my hugely powerful Mac Pro which is not even five years old.

There is probably a way through this irritating mess but as a consumer why shouldn't I expect that something that cost several thousand pounds wont become virtually useless after I get home from a long holiday?

Additionally, why shouldn't the consumer expect to be able to easily upgrade a machine which was sold with the promise that this was one of its USP's?

Of course, all these upgrades promise "awesome new features" "greater stability" etc. etc. but the average consumer is not aided as much by all these new features as you imagine.

If upgrading causes as much problems as I have encountered and all within such a short period surely even somebody as obtuse as yourself might realise that "upgrades" and "compatibility" is primarily designed to justify the outlay......and not to make our lives easier.

I'm not a luddite, I have benefitted as much as anyone from the switch away from analogue but some of the changes over encoding and software features are frankly just a marketing ploy.

We buy, we upgrade, we play around, we get used to what we know....we go on a sabbatical, lovely. We get home get a new bit of kit and everything you knew kicks up stink....followed by days of wasted effort and frustration.......so you buy, upgrade, download,

listen to geeks  - even they aren't up to speed with the changes - and after an exhausting labyrinthine journey (that isn't over yet) somebody gives me a lecture on pricing policy. Give over.

Just how cheap do you think my time is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cromwell99 wrote:

Recently I bought a new Canon Camera and the Raw files wouldn't open in either CS4 or Lightroom ( I expected this) so got upgrades ........no problem until I realised that these are not compatible with something called "Snow Leopard"

Both CS6 and Lightroom 4 ARE compatible with Snow Leopard.  You need to be updated to 10.6.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VICTORIA, Yes, thanks, I know this now........ but getting there from 10.5.8 is not straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cromwell99 wrote:

VICTORIA, Yes, thanks, I know this now........ but getting there from 10.5.8 is not straightforward.

Ah, I see.  You said they weren't compatible with Snow Leopard, which is 10.6, so to update to 10.6.8 would be quite simple.  If you're on 10.5.8 (Leopard, no Snow), then yes, it's a more complex upgrade path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, .....OMG, I missed out a cat!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cromwell99 wrote:

As well as my my Mac Pro I have an I Mac which is another cat - LION. "So", I ask the expert, "I'll put LION on my Mac Pro?" "No" he says, "you need to get MOUNTAIN LION!" FFS, how many bloody cats are there?

Passing the Apple Store a few days later I chatted to a friendly "genius" who assured me that I could do this on line via "App Store" but I'd first need to get the latest version of "SNOW LEOPARD".

Back home I realise that there is no "App store" on my Mac Pro 10.5.8 and that the OS upgrades for SNOW LEOPARD start at 6.1 and I need 6.0!

I need MOUNTAIN LION but cannot do this without first upgrading SNOW LEOPARD to a cat inbetween but I have to do this in stages and one of the upgrades necessary is not available.

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live .....all I want to do is get the benefit of the improved software and higher spec camera on my hugely powerful Mac Pro which is not even five years old.

There is probably a way through this irritating mess but as a consumer why shouldn't I expect that something that cost several thousand pounds wont become virtually useless after I get home from a long holiday?

Additionally, why shouldn't the consumer expect to be able to easily upgrade a machine which was sold with the promise that this was one of its USP's?

Of course, all these upgrades promise "awesome new features" "greater stability" etc. etc. but the average consumer is not aided as much by all these new features as you imagine.

If upgrading causes as much problems as I have encountered and all within such a short period surely even somebody as obtuse as yourself might realise that "upgrades" and "compatibility" is primarily designed to justify the outlay......and not to make our lives easier.

I'm not a luddite, I have benefitted as much as anyone from the switch away from analogue but some of the changes over encoding and software features are frankly just a marketing ploy.

We buy, we upgrade, we play around, we get used to what we know....we go on a sabbatical, lovely. We get home get a new bit of kit and everything you knew kicks up stink....followed by days of wasted effort and frustration.......so you buy, upgrade, download,

listen to geeks  - even they aren't up to speed with the changes - and after an exhausting labyrinthine journey (that isn't over yet) somebody gives me a lecture on pricing policy. Give over.

Just how cheap do you think my time is?

Shouldn't you be complaining about this on an Apple forum?   Sheesh.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOLLYsnoot, making a general point that the computing/digital industries change things and because of ensuing compatibility issues there is a consequential chain reaction of purchases.

The perception is that this is not to the benefit of the consumer.

I would have thought that much would be obvious.

Experience suggests that Adobe do more than most to protect the consumer's rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cromwell99 wrote:

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live

Don't feel bad - it's not just a Macintosh thing.

Windows 8 is going to do that to a lot of people.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines