Highlighted

Cannot update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1

When I try to update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1, from the 7.1 setup file I downloaded, I get the error:

"Update failed

Updates could not be applied

This patch is not applicable for you. Please check for updates from the help menu in your product to see a list of latest updates available."

If I go to help in Photoshop CS5 and click on updates, it says that all of my programs are up to date, but Camera Raw is still 6.7. It absolutely refuses to update to 7.1

I just traded in my Nikon D3100 for a Nikon D3200 and 6.7 does not support it, but 7.1 does, so I REALLY need it to upgrade because I like to shoot in RAW.

Please help????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Cannot update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1

When I try to update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1, from the 7.1 setup file I downloaded, I get the error:

"Update failed

Updates could not be applied

This patch is not applicable for you. Please check for updates from the help menu in your product to see a list of latest updates available."

If I go to help in Photoshop CS5 and click on updates, it says that all of my programs are up to date, but Camera Raw is still 6.7. It absolutely refuses to update to 7.1

I just traded in my Nikon D3100 for a Nikon D3200 and 6.7 does not support it, but 7.1 does, so I REALLY need it to upgrade because I like to shoot in RAW.

Please help????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: Cannot update Camera Raw from 6.7 to 7.1

Yes. You need to upgrade. Upgraded hardware frequently causes people to purchase updated software. Just like updated software frequently causes people to purchase updated hardware. There is a price to be paid for owning the latest and greatest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ok, so I have to pay to upgrade from 6.7 to 7.1? Seriously? Do you know how much? Geez, I just bought CS5 not too long ago now I have to pay to get an update to Camera Raw, really?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Camera RAW forum.  You may want to look into converting your RAW images to DNG files.  You can then open the DNG files in older software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

You don't have to pay, but you will have to go through a few extra steps to use the free DNG converter package.  Basically it works like this:  You convert your D3200 images to DNG files, then Photoshop CS5 can open the DNG files.  You get all the features you always had in your Photoshop CS5 package.

Or you can pay and have the utmost in convenience and latest in conversion technology - files will just open right up in Camera Raw 7 on Photoshop CS6.

How much did your camera cost?  Did it not occur to you that maybe you want to pay a little for a new photo editor to go with it?

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yes Noel, that is why I bought CS5. Where do I pay for Camera Raw updates?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sharity84078 wrote:

Where do I pay for Camera Raw updates?

You pay to upgrade to Photoshop CS6, that's how you get ACR 7.x.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Great! I guess I'll be using DNG instead 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sharity84078 wrote:

Great! I guess I'll be using DNG instead 😞

Did you look into the free upgrade thing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Well I called them, and after getting to the right person, since they only support the latest version, I cannot update Camera Raw to 7.1 without purchasing CS6! Which I understand the concept of why they only support the latest version, but I think they need to support the lastest 2-3 versions cause I just purchased CS5.5 Design Premium on 1/16/2012, that's just a little over 4 months ago, so for me to go out and but CS6 is just ridiculous! Had I not upgraded my camera, I wouldn't have this issue right now. But, the last guy told me that if I download the trial of CS6, that Camera Raw & DNG converter are free plugins and "maybe" after uninstalling the trial I could continue to use those plugins with CS5. I don't even have DNG converter installed, and even if I did, it also would not support my camera without updrading it to 7.1, which I would also need to upgrade to CS6 in order to do. So if the trial/plugin thing doesn't work, I am screwed. I am so frustrated and mad at Adobe right now you can see the smoke coming out of my head. I don't think it's fair that they do this to customers who pay that much $ for thier software. & then they had the nerve to blame it on me buying the new camera! Whatever!

So, I hope this works, I guess we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's help! I appreciate you all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , May 31, 2012

The DNG converter is a stand-alone application. Version 7.1 will work irrespective of Photoshop version.

The DNGs can then be opened through ACR 6.7 in Photoshop CS5. You'll be no worse off than you were with the D3100.

You'll find it >here< (Win) or >here< (Mac).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , May 31, 2012

BTW blame Nikon in this case. It wouldn't cost them a calorie to support the openly specified DNG format, which is the only thing with potential as a universal standard format. Leica does it, and a very few others. Then all of this would have been a non-issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Sharity84078, as D Fosse wrote, you can edit your RAW files in CS5 after convering them to DNG's using the DNG Converter, which is a free, stand-alone application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I totally agree, all the other products in the world are supported and updated for free, it is ridiculous that after less than a year we lost support and maintenance updates for CS5.5, it is normal to get a new camera and adobe software should supported it until the dead of that particular version IS CS5.5 DEAD,  common.

I had a canon t2i camera shouting raw files; I bought the "best" media edition tools in the world (ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5. PRODUCTION PREMIUM') because I was motivated by their amazing features.

Now, I bought a canon t4i camera for 850 USD, now I have to pay and UPGRADE to CS6 paying another 450 USD, to get CAMERA RAW 7.1 to support my new camera???? Ridiculous.

I am totally piss off, I don’t need the extra  features from CS6 just the CAMERA RAW SUPPORT FOR MY CAMERA, I notice Canon 5D Mark III is supported by Camera Raw 6.7 same should apply for new cameras or

Adobe should publish a letter declaring CS5.5 DEAD and wipe everything related with that version from their site.

It is like the auto industry doesn’t bring support to car models 2011 or behind; you cannot use these new tires.

What is the real deal here is the RAW format from t4i totally different  than the 5d mark II or IDX supported cameras or is it just a filter list in order to force people to gent CS6.

Oracle corporation and many other companies support their software for more than 10 years It doesn’t matter if the hardware change.

Rip-off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 18, 2012

MPpulido, sorry to hear your frustration.  No, it's not just a filter list, and yes, camera manufacturers change stuff. 

You're not forced, however, to upgrade if you don't want to.  Adobe provide a free DNG converter which makes your new camera files compatible with much older versions of Photoshop, as well as CS5.  You'll find the download links here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#downloads

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks Victoria for your answer and for the workaround,

But If RAW files are not an standard, sure canon provided the most recent RAW format specification to Adobe, because you already implemented in Camera Raw 7.1.

The question is why you (Adobe) don’t permit use the 7.1 version to CS5 and CS5.5 owners.

It is not a technical limitation I think it is a commercial decision. (Not fare at all for all your customers who wants to update their cameras).

Sure I am not forced to upgrade, but it is a shame that my OLD software CS5.5 software don’t support the current RAW files specification. CS5.5 It is NOW OBSOLETE. Not supported, not upgradable (at least from the RAW perspective.

Should we avoid shoot RAW to use CS5.5. or use the proposal work around. What a shame.

Regards,

Marco.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MPpulido wrote:

...sure canon provided the most recent RAW format specification to Adobe...

Hah!  One would think that would be the case, but it's not.  Neither Canon nor Nikon shares any details with Adobe, like, for instance, Pentax does.  Adobe engineers have to get their hands on each camera model, test them and develop their own profiles.

The DNG Converter is free.  It's not reasonable to expect Adobe to provide a plug-in for non-supported versions of Photoshop.  What is reasonable is to expect prospective camera buyers to make sure their camera is supported by their software of choice before paying for the camera.

You could also pressure Canon to support the DNG format in-camera.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

New Canon owners DON’T BUY ADOBE PRODUCTS, be aware than Adobe will not support your future camera models, you have to upgrade your adobe software EVERY YEAR, because in less than a year your Adobe products will become OBSOLETE and no support or updates will be available to use your new cameras.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The Adobe policy is to provide free updates for currently shipping products. The current version of Photoshop is CS6, the current Camera Raw is 7.1.

Providing backwards compatibility of older software with newer versions of Camera Raw is a major technical problem. Camera Raw is a plug-in with dependancies on the host version of Photoshop's SDK. Camera Raw 7.x is designed to use the CS6 SDK. Photoshop CS6 has different platform requirements than Photoshop CS5 had. So, trying to force fit Camera Raw 7.x to work in Photoshop CS5 would require a code branch of the Camera Raw code that would substantially complicate future development–meaning it would put a major dent in the development resources that Adobe could apply to future updates–a bad thing for current customers. Personally, as a CS6 user, I would not like that at all.

Adobe provides backwards compatibility for new cameras in old versions of Photoshop for free. Yes, it's an additional step but one that only costs a bit of time on your part. The free DNG Converter is capable of producing DNGs that are compatible back to Camera Raw 2.4 in Photoshop CS...and again, this is free and something that Adobe didn't HAVE to do...

You want new cameras to be supported in older software–fact is these new cameras produce new raw file formats that are proprietary and undocumented–it takes a lot of work o decode new formats. This problem is a direct result of the failure of the camera companies to adopt a raw file format standard that would eliminate the need for new camera format decoding...you are perfectly happy buying a new camera that creates a new, un-compatible raw format and blame only Adobe for failing to upgrade old software? Your expectations are unrealistic and you are trying to place blame on the wrong party, it's the camera company's who are at fault for not adhering to some sort of standard that would free users of the problems they face now. Blame the company that sold you the camera that is not compatible with your software...it ain't Adobe's fault.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That is exactly the point, how is possible to consider a software OLD and OBSOLETE and UNSUPPORTED if the software ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5 PRODUCTION PREMIUM, was sold DIRECTLY by ADOBE, 9 months ago. It is not unrealistic it is a rip-off.

That specifically is my complaint, I understand the technical difficulties, I am a software developer, but also I understand that the RAW support could be implemented in the CS5 plugging too, without the new SDK paraphernalia, As adobe implemented in the “free DNG Converter”

My intention is not blame Adobe, It is to let people now what will happen with Adobes’s products in the future, when people upgrade their CANON cameras:

YOU HAVE TO PAY THE UPGRATE TO NEW RELEASE TO CONTINUE USING YOUR CURRENT CAMERA FEATURES OR DON’T SHOOT RAW or user the Adobe’ work around.

I think everybody understood this situation, I also understood your point, I respect it, but I don’t agree.

Regards,

Marco.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Marco, is there some problem with upgrading Photoshop to each new release?  I'm not seeing it.

You make the assumption that there's no new functionality that brings value to the upgrade.

Why did you buy a new camera?  Are you thinking that new hardware is worth buying, but new software is not for some reason?

And there is always the free DNG converter solution, allowing you to use any new model camera with just about any old version of Photoshop's Camera Raw.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel, I just bounced over from the general discussions forum.  I downloaded the standalone DNG converter...and guess what?  It does not see the .CR2 files from the Canon T4i.  In all honesty, had I known the 6.7 update would not have handled the T4i, I would have selected the "convert to DNG" upon downloading from the SD card.  It simply never occurred to me that Adobe wouldn't keep up with it, CS5 Extended is not that old.  As I have never had such a thing happen, I did my usual and deleted the files from the card.  Then, thinking it might be a card issue and not an Adobe issue, I reformatted that card.  Now, surely enough I can move the files BACK to the card and then import them again in Bridge, using the option to convert.  But be aware that the standalone DNG converter is NOT seeing these files.

This is really something everyone should be aware of.

I will switch to CS6, just not at the moment...unless I have no other choice.  It isn't so much the cost of the software as it is the tremendous amounts of files that are never quite cleared up, all the plug-ins, etc.

I will let you know how the operation of moving the files back to the card and then importing them again goes.  I have to switch to the tower to do that.  BB in a bit.

Indy

Update:  This is referring to the Canon T4i only:

1.  The Adobe Standalone DNG converter does NOT recognize, see, the .CR2 files created by the T4i at all, therefore it cannot convert what it does not see.

2.  After moving the files from my computer back into the original folder on the SD card for that camera and importing them again via Bridge and choosing the "convert to DNG" option...the converter informed me that it failed for all 65 files.

So in otherwords, I am forced to upgrade now whether I wanted to or not.

Message was edited by: IndyMcDuff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What version of the DNG converter did you download?  For THAT application you need the very latest version, 7.1. 

It's Camera Raw 6 that's locked to Photoshop CS5.  You always want the latest DNG converter.  It embodies the latest knowledge of cameras and produces a file that the older versions of Photoshop can open.

Yes, it's confusing, but I believe you'll be able to get there from here.  And since you've bought a new camera, I know funds may be short, but it's worth getting Photoshop CS6 for the quite significant improvements they've made in the raw conversion algorithms.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Scratch that.  It appears T4i support is not yet in the DNG Converter 7.1.  This is the first I've heard of a difference in camera support between Camera Raw and DNG converter of the same version.

Adobe sure does make this confusing, don't they?

Be patient.  They release a new version every 3 months or so, and your camera is no doubt going to be in it.

Blame Canon on the delays.  They both make new formats for every new camera, and they do NOT share the specifications, so the Adobe folks are saddled with reverse-engineering each new camera's output.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> Blame Canon on the delays

really ? Adobe has already all the necessary details to work with T4i raw files (ACR v7.1.0.354 opens them just fine) - they (Adobe) just did not update DNG converter for whatever reason and you are suggesting to blame Canon for that delay w/ DNG converter update ?

PS: and T4i (at least non compressed raw files) actually seems to be supported by DNG converter 7.1.0.354 - so even that is not an issue...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

+1 Adobe already have the current, RAW file format especification, Cannon 5D mark III, canon 1DX are supported in Camera RAW 6.7 And Canon T4i is supported in 7.1 version.

I am not going to blame Canon, I am not going to blame Adoble, I am going to blame all the adobe customers using Cs5.5 or OLDER versions, including me for renew our cameras.

Common.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> I am not going to blame Adobe

I wish they were selling ACR for the price of LR or little less...  myth about SDK (see Schewe) is not exactly true - everybody heard that ACR 7 from leaked/stolen prerelease was working with CS5.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

deejjjaaaa wrote:

myth about SDK (see Schewe) is not exactly true - everybody heard that ACR 7 from leaked/stolen prerelease was working with CS5.

"working" is not the same as full backwards compatibility testing on each platform and OS versions that CS5/5.5 worked on...could Adobe make ACR 7.x work on CS5? Prolly for many/most platforms and OSs, but it would be a lot of work to do so–work that would take the engineers away from fixing bugs and adding new cameras to the current customers running CS6 with ACR 7.x.

The technical limitations of backwards compatibilities and cross-SDK support issues are not a myth. If you knew anything about developing plug-ins for Photoshop you would know better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> "working" is not the same as full backwards compatibility testing on each platform and OS versions that CS5/5.5 worked

Jeff, the simple explanation is that during compilation the piece of code that checks how ACR is invoked is either compiled in or not using compile time preprocessor flags

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Regardless of the flags, the fact is that backwards compatibility testing and offering official "support" is different than the plug-in "maybe working" in CS5...for example there is no longer a 32-bit version of Photoshop CS6 for Mac. Bridge is now also 64-bit. So, Mac Camera Raw 7.x is a 64-bit only binary. Are you suggesting that letting ACR 7 work in the CS5 32-bit Mac binary is a simple recompile?

Face it, the Adobe policy is based upon technical issues of backwards compatibility as well as not giving away new features and functions for nothing. Could ACR 6.x keep getting new cameras added? Yes, but then it's a branch in the code that substantially complicates the development. The policy of only offering free updates to currently shipping software is a pretty long standing policy since the begining of Camera Raw in Photoshop 7 in 2003–almost a decade.

And again the root cause of the problem users of older software buying new cameras and not getting support could be resolved by the camera makers adopting a standard like DNG. And again Adobe offers a free (as in no cost but downloading) DNG Converter solution for people with new cameras an old software. It's either that or upgrade to the most recent version of Photoshop.

Let's see, photographhers are happy to spend money on new cameras but hate spending money on software upgrades...do you not see the disconnect there? Penny wise, pound foolish.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

"photographhers are happy to spend money on new cameras but hate spending money on software upgrades" That is not the point.

Suppose I am not a photographer I am an enthusiastic graphic designer NOT A PRO.

I was so excited about CS6 features and decided the today to buy CS6 Production Premium for 1,899 USD.

My computer is ok and meets all the requirements, but this December for holidays I decide give me a huge present a supercomputer, in order to enjoy more my Adobe products.

I unpacked, installed, patched etc, and now I am ready to install my adobe products, but surprise Adobe products don’t install because the only operating system supported was the previous one and not only that, my new processors are not supported either.

Adobe decides to support my new software and my new hardware in the new CS7 (just for 400 USD more), because my obsolete and OLD software CS6 is not supported more. Just few months after, how do you feel happy?

Worts, if you dont want to upgrade and pay them because they force you,  then you cannot use your CS6 software with your new hardware at all, the other option is a workarround with a converter working in you old platform and you lose the capabilities of you hw.

It is not a money issue it is a support issue.

What do you think if similar situation happens with your car, your operating system, etc. I think 5 years should be the cycle life of a product at least.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I wondered if it was possible to separate the raw file decoding process from the raw conversion process. I suppose the nearest comparison would be an audio or video codec. The raw converter (the thing you see/use) calls the codec in order to open the raw files. Only the codec would need to be updated.

Without knowing anything about raw formats or the way Adobe software is written, I can only guess if this can be done. But, in principle, I don't see why not. Of course, this would have to be a new thing, and so it wouldn't help anyone with existing software.

Meanwhile, people have got the DNG Converter, which is free, and is updated just as often as Camera Raw. It converts your mysterious proprietary raw files into something which can be read by any raw converter which supports the well-established DNG standard, including Photoshop CS (with ACR 2.3–2.4), CS2, CS3, CS4 and CS5. It's what our cameras should be providing in the first place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Good idea, Adobe camera Raw is as good as other adobe products, just convert  the plugin to a Product. But again, it is used to sell the elements and photoshop upgrade. They will never do it.

It is used to force people shouting RAW to upgrade.

Personally I bought CS5.5 because that plugin, I consider myself more a photographer hobbyist than a graphic edito,mbut I really like that plugin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No, the stand alone did not see the files, trust me.

There is software that comes with the camera that could have done this, image processing software.  But personally, I do feel that Canon and Nikon are the two biggest, and I'm sure Adobe gets every new camera that comes out, from the manufacturer, so that the users can work with the cameras and Adobe products.  I do also feel that Adobe should support CS5 for a while longer until they had something really new to offer in CS6.  I haven't seen anything that worthy of an upgrade.

Another reason why I hesitated on CS6 is that I'm not sure how Windows 8 is going to be.  Who knows how many errors that will cause in and of itself?  I would rather have installed Windows 8, completed all the trouble-shooting, all of the snags, before installing CS6.

Now, who knows how many image restores will have to happen?  The timing isn't good.

Indy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> No, the stand alone did not see the files, trust me.

may be it did not see it but it converted T4i raw file w/o problem when the raw file was passed as a parameter by XnView

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The standalone literally did not see the files.  Mind you, I tried it on both the T7400 and the W701.  The converter asks you for source files and you browse to it, naturally, and it sees the folder, you open the folder and nada within.

The recurring retort seems to be "well, you bought a new camera so you shouldn't complain about the software"...please understand that these camera makers do supply a CD with software that will handle the files.  I must have at least 15 cameras, and if I were to use the CD for each and every one of them, my computers would be so jammed up with software I don't really want..  My initial confusion is that I never encountered a camera raw format that Adobe couldn't handle before.  THAT was the confusion.  And, I had initially bought CS5.1 Extended, and then went ahead and bought the whole CS5 Production Premium, and this is after using Photoshop since Photoshop 4, and I am not talking CS4, I'm talking about every upgrade since Photoshop 4.

As computers and processors progressed, so did I.  But we all know what a big bother it is to uninstall any of Adobe products.  You simply do not get out all the files without a really good removal tool and then you have to sit there and carefully pick through the registry entries.  Adobe is not the only one, of course.

Yesterday I uninstalled previous versions after installing CS6 Extended on the laptop.   What do you know?  All of a sudden the camera raw 7.1 patch application wasn't there.  I had to do it again.  I cannot recall at this point whether it was before or after I started putting the plug-ins back in.

Someone said they had no problem with the T4i file on the standalone converter. There is a possibility the problem lies in some configuration that is present in both of my main machines.  But I'm thinking it is more likely that since that person (I'd have to find the post) already had CS6 installed before trying the DNG standalone with that file, the results do not equal comparing apples to apples.

I wouldn't panic about buying a new camera though.  As long as the camera-maker provides software that covers their new file (and they all do) you will still be able to convert  the file from the new camera to use whatever version of Photoshop you have.  That is just not the route I wanted to take.

Some of my cameras are Nikons, some are Canon, some are Pentax, some are Sony, and I even have an Olympus thrown in there.  No way I want all of those extra programs on my machines!!!  LOL!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

IndyMcDuff wrote:

The standalone literally did not see the files.  Mind you, I tried it on both the T7400 and the W701.  The converter asks you for source files and you browse to it, naturally, and it sees the folder, you open the folder and nada within…

That may be your problem right there! 

Don't open the folder, just point the DNG Converter to it.  The stand-alone DNG Converter works on folders, not on  individual files.

Point it to a folder and it will convert all eligible files within it.  Be advised that it will convert truly every eligible raw file in the folder containing raw data.  That means that if you happen to have DNG files from a previous sessions, the DNG Converter will re-convert those and overwrite the files when it creates new DNGs so you will lose any adjustments you were keeping in metadata in those particular DNGs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That is an excellent point.  But now I cannot test it as I have already installed CS6 Extended!!!!  I kept to the legal number of installations, so it isn't on any other machine. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

IndyMcDuff wrote:

That is an excellent point.  But now I cannot test it as I have already installed CS6 Extended!!!!…

So what?   ???

Sorry, I'm not following you.    The DNG Converter 7.1 will still work the same whether you have Photoshop installed or not.

???  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Okay, I will test that as well.  As I've said, it could be a configuration issue.  I'll check it all out.

As for the Canon software that came with it:  It sees the image instantly, comes with rudimentary editing...and I am now beginning to see why Canon and Nikon are not so eager to provide these things to Adobe.

Instead of blaming anyone for anything, take note of what I'm writing:

It seems that Canon wants you to join a sort of "cloud" thing.  I didn't join, I do not know if fees are involved, but it would be fair to guess there are fees...even Adobe now dangles carrots for you to pay monthly instead of buying the software....so the Canon software lets you batch-convert to jpeg, and/or TIFF 8 bit or 16 bit, but no DNG.  We all know that TIFF 16 bit are large files but as close to RAW as you can get.  When the files are done converting (there are 65 of them...and I let it do all 65 just to get a time idea as the Hewlett Packard is rather a standard machine) and then bring the converted files into Adobe.  I was able to install CS5 Extended onto that machine as I had disabled it here.  Of course, using the Adobe standalone would be far preferable than going TIFF...but the reason I am testing is because I elected to keep the embedded files.

One seriously has to wonder, if it isn't to get you to pay monthly for a cloud site, why DNG is not in that batch conversion menu.  Is this the way the suits are planning to corner the camera users?!?!  There are SO many people shooting today with so little knowledge of any of this stuff, that they might just go ahead and sign up with the camera maker cloud thingy.

I'm glancing behind me every few seconds and the TIFF images are showing up just fine in Bridge.  When it is through, I will install 7.1 standalone on that computer and test the conversion using the folder....

At least it is a good reference for anyone facing similar issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

My point was that I wanted to see if my configuration with CS5.5 was fouling the standalone.  But I ***much to my annoyance*** did not even think of selecting the folder.  Why?  As it was a brand new camera...I fiddled with some of the slick little options they put in, which created some jpegs within the subfolders on the card.  Selecting the entire folder (or subfolder) without choosing files just did not occur to me.  Dumb.  In my defense I can say I am a real blonde 

The conversion to TIFF went smoothly and opened in Bridge Cs5.5 (or is it CS5.1 - gets confusing)  without an issue even with files embedded (needed to check that option).

I then proceeded to download 7.1 standalone again, on the Hewlett Packard and chose the folder instead of looking for files.  I selected the option to embed the original RAW file.  That may seem dumb to non-professional photographers, but it isn't.  It makes for giant DNG files, but may become necessary for legal and copyright reasons. 

The conversion, using the standalone and embedding the original RAW file...on the Hewlett Packard...for the T4i....went extremely fast, all 65 files, and opened in Bridge without a problem.  So the entire reason it didn't work before was that I had not pointed to the folder.

It may be an extra step, but it doesn't take much time.  I am surprised at myself for not having tried the folder approach instead of individual files.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in the rapidly changing smaller device arena, a lot of manufacturers seem to be all using the mini port adapter now, and more and more I am finding that it is no longer necessary to label the USB cords that come with devices (Blackberry, Samsung Droid, cameras, GPS devices, etc.,).  In past years, if you traveled and had several small devices, you needed an extra bag just for adapters and USB cords.  Not so today.  Today, other than the Apple stuff, one cord just about covers all of those items.  I cannot see why, other than getting you to pay monthly, the camera makers do not all just go with DNG as an option in the menu and bingo you are done.

The bottom line is that the standalone 7.1 DOES work with T4i's new .CR2, and you have to point to the subfolder that contains the raw images rather than look for files to make it work.

And, Station Two, remember I said configuration problem?  That is why I wanted to test it under the same conditions.  A stand-alone is a stand-alone...that is why I had to see if it were MY particular configuration.

I do thank all of you very wonderful people for your help.  Talking to one's self is pointless because sometimes we build mental roadblocks.  Chewing things over with like-minded people is always a huge plus.  So thanks for tweaking this old brain!  Blonde or not! 

Indy

Message was edited by: IndyMcDuff (noticed an improper punctuation).. 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Don't feel bad.  That business where the dialog lets you select the folder but not the files (and does not actually show you the files) has caught a lot of folks off guard.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> It appears T4i support is not yet in the DNG Converter 7.1.

I downloaded a raw file from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t4i/T4IFAR2I0100.CR2.HTM - both ACR 7.1.0.354 and DNG Converter 7.1.0.354 have no issues working w/ that... so Noel, you need to check your version of DNG Converter !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

deejjjaaaa wrote:

> It appears T4i support is not yet in the DNG Converter 7.1.

I downloaded a raw file from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t4i/T4IFAR2I0100.CR2.HTM - both ACR 7.1.0.354 and DNG Converter 7.1.0.354 have no issues working w/ that... so Noel, you need to check your version of DNG Converter !

I did not test it.  I just looked in the release notes for DNG Converter 7.1 (in which the T4i does not show), and assumed that Indy was confirming that it was not working.

Some of you folks sure have an awful lot of attitude toward the people who work hard to bring you support for new cameras after the release of their products without any help from the camera maker.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I downloaded the latest version.  I am a retired professional photographer and a current computer consultant.   So you are basically telling me things I've known for a very long time.  The money issue is not the big issue.  It is the time needed to completely make CS6 work with my additional software.  It is also a matter of not wanting to clutter up the rather small (as a lot of SSD drives are) C drive on the laptop...and all of these installations create clutter as you well know.  Unless you use something such as REVO to uninstall, there are fragments everywhere.  As a result, I'm going to have to install it all on the larger D drive, which is also infuriating as this machine was built for speed with an SSD drive, dual quad cores, 16gb ram...and being forced to upgrade isn't making me happy at this point!

Now, I've downloaded the trial, although I intend to buy, but I just wanted to check out the T4i information.  The T4i is just one of many, many cameras.  As I've said, I've had Photoshop since PS4, not CS4...it is more a matter of having to now re-do Nik software, On-One software, Topaz software, all to work with CS6.  I used the Adobe Application Manager and it automatically did CS6 64 bit, but now I have to see if they have extended, because I have CS5 Extended.

Then, I have two main computers that I use...A Dell T7400 and an IBM W701,  So I will be at least two days doing all of this, including fonts, brushes, actions that I have made or saved.  This is why I wasn't so eager to upgrade.  After I downloaded the trial, I had to download and install the 7.1 Camera Raw patch, and then finally I could open the files.

Indy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

If money is not an object, and you're looking to get the best possible performance out of SSD storage, may I suggest doing what I did on my Precision T5400 - create a big 2 TB C: drive out of an array of SSDs.  I can provide you specifics to create a rock solid and incredibly fast setup if you'd like.  Everything is instantaneous, and Photoshop CS6 works great.

With 1.8 gigabytes/second sustained disk throughput and near zero latency I can hardly notice when Photoshop accesses its scratch file.

Trying to use SSD storage any other way (e.g., on the cheap) is simply paddling upstream.  You might be able to get there, but you don't get all the benefits you could and you do get ongoing problems.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm replying this way as the forum website isn't responding for me at the

moment.

The SSD is on a Lenovo W701, specifically for images.so an array on that

would not be practical. Sometimes I need to edit on location. I'm retired

as a pro but still do some work, stuff I want to do as opposed to massive

contracts.

The lighter I can travel, and the more speed I can have, the better. I take

along 2 Iomega 2 TB USB3 eGo's. Or at least I think they are 2 TB, I have

quite a few so I get a little confused here and there. Images are

immediately backed up that way.

Right now I am installing the purchased upgrade from CS5.1 Extended 64B to

the CS6 Extended on the Precision 4700 (it has 4 1 TB onboard) and about 8 2

TB peripherals for storage and backup.

This is not as fast as the laptop simply because there is a great deal of

software on it. However, when I am at home, I'm not in a rush. It will be

a bother putting all those plug-ins back.plus all the brushes and whatnot.

It IS a bother I didn't want to have to handle at this point in time.

Indy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel,

My Precision T7400 doesn't have SSD, it is the Lenovo (IBM) W701 that has the SSD C drive.  That is a laptop.  Actually, it is a laptop designed for photographers, in my mind, as it has a lovely little Wacom tablet built right in.  The Precision T7400 has (4) 1.5 TB HD's installed onboard as 1.5TB is all Windows 7 can handle.  These HD's are all backed up to Fantom externals.

Just for the heck of it, when I get the chance, I'm going to install the software that came with the T4i onto a Sony Vaio laptop that does not have any of the Adobe products installed.  I will look at the software and see exactly what conversion utilities there are.  Easy enough to move the converted file to one of the machines that have Adobe on it.

If it has this ability, I will report it, so that people don't get thier knickers in a twist  when thinking about purchasing a new camera....and then mentally adding the cost of the upgraded Photoshop to the price of that camera.

Or you know what?  I'm going to just stick it onto the Hewlett Packard tower that sits behind me....that is easier.

I'll report back.

Indy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Alternatively, you can drop individual files on a shortcut of the DNG Converter on your desktop (or any other convenient directory).

But if you're inside the DNG Converter, then just point it to the folder containing the raw files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> So in otherwords, I am forced to upgrade now whether I wanted to or not

just install CS6 as trial - you will be able to use ACR to convert your raws to DNG then hopefully Adobe will update their DNG converter... if not, after your CS6 trial will expire - do the same trial with LR4 - that again hopefully will carry you to the next DNG converter release

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MPpulido wrote:

That is exactly the point, how is possible to consider a software OLD and OBSOLETE and UNSUPPORTED if the software ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 5.5 PRODUCTION PREMIUM, was sold DIRECTLY by ADOBE, 9 months ago. It is not unrealistic it is a rip-off.

Again, your expectations are unrealistic...while you may have bought CS 5.5 only 9 months ago, you did so on the end of the upgrade cycle...you should have expected a new upgraded version would not be released not long after you bought CS 5.5.

Nature of the beast...your expectations that CS 5.x would be upgraded was unrealistic...once a new version ships, the outdated versions will not ever be upgradable...your bad dooode...and again, the solution to your issue is the free DNG Converter–which is free BTW...something Adobe did NOT have to do...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

If you bought CS5 very recently (I don't know the cut-off), you might get a free upgrade. I'm sure I read something like this somewhere, but I've slept since then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

You can open the RAW files from a D3200 in the latest ViewNX2 which is free from Nikon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I am still dealing with the DNG converter, thanks Adobe for the converter, but no thanks at all for don't suppor CS5.5, I think I lose a lot of money in your products, I cannot open my RAW (without workarrounds)  files with your software, especifically CS5.5 photoshop exended.

You know camera raw is a great plugin and you are forcing us to upgrade in order to have the version 7.1

Why you dont sale Camera Raw as an independent product? mmm.... maybe I know.

Marco

PD. my recomendation, if you are a CS6 customer, be aware than maybe your next camera will be supported only in CS7, and you have to pay the updrage, if you are planing to upgrade your camera don't buy CS6 wait until CS7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Marco, you have paid for an upgrade to a new camera that became available after the previous version of the Adobe software was released.

Why is it difficult to think that you need to pay for new software that became available after the camera came out to support it?

Sure, it would be nice if Adobe was kind to existing users, but since they don't really face customers going to the (non-existent) competition, they can clearly make more money selling you new software.

But it's not all bad - don't look now but there ARE some very nice new features and enhanced image quality in the new version that alone make it worth paying for.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MPpulido wrote:

You know camera raw is a great plugin and you are forcing us to upgrade in order to have the version 7.1

You are not being forced...you are being encouraged to upgrade to a superior raw processing output. That's why the engineers keep advancing the art.

You can keep using DNG Converter (which allows people using as far back as Photoshop CS) that allows free backwards compatibility. Sure, you're pissed because in order to get the best, most recent raw processing you need to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7. This has been the policy since ACR was first released in Photoshop 7. You want the new stuff? Pay up, otherwise use the free DNG Converter...(which BTW, Adobe is under zero obligation to provide)

Really, you aren't going to get much sympathy from current users of Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7. Really, the new version is worth the upgrade price by itself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Yeah, pay up like the rest of us did.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

how much did you paid, i paid more than 18 hundred bucks 10 months ago for the CSC5.5 production premium suit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What's your point, MP?  That you bought a lot of valuable software?  That you waited until near the end of a release cycle to do so?

There are those of us who have given Adobe that much and more.  If you want to play, you have to pay.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MPpulido wrote:

how much did you paid, i paid more than 18 hundred bucks 10 months ago for the CSC5.5 production premium suit...

Like any other honest, mere mortal, I've been paying full price for each upgrade to a new version of Photoshop since I started using it a decade ago or so.

I also paid full price for Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I only upgraded them as my needs warranted.

What I have not done is fall pray to the mindless buying into a "suite" concept.

The "suite" concept is an invention of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.  The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

If you bought into the suite gimmick, I can see why you are upset at being faced with a major expenditure just to upgrade to the latest version of ACR now.  That was your choice when you fell for the suite concept.  Caveat emptor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

All of You are right, it was my mistake, I took the choice to buy that suite, because I am impressed by the quality of adobe products, I am still impressed but I use to have another levels of support on mayor software producer like oracle, the support life for their product are almost 10 years.

I was misinformed and it was my fault, for my a plugin compared with the whole suit is just a minor patch. But in adobe world is is not, again my fault.

Now I am feeling worst, because the subscription option is from my point of view the best option but I didn't took it.

But as you commented I don't need the whole suite as I don't need a subscription to all products, if I have an option to take a subscription only for photoshop and camera raw of course by a fraction of the price sure I will take it, but again what should I pay for a full hotel if I only require a room.

I need your advice, what is the cheapest way to have camera raw 7.1 or 7.2 and future cs6 upgrades for camera raw; as you know I have cs5.5 production premium and I don't require the full upgrade to cs6.

I really appreciate your help.

And my advice. Was not for experts as you, but for newbies like me. I know I had to wait  5 months go get cs6 and not cs5.5 but nothing to do now.

Marco.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Marco,

To be even more frank, I have been paying for the Photoshop upgrades after Photoshop 10.x ("CS3") only in order to get the latest version of ACR.  I do not need any of the Photoshop features beyond those of Ps 10.x.  I thought I was going to stick with that version for ever.

Then came some great advances and new features in ACR 5.x, so I upgraded to Photoshop 11.x ("CS4") just to get the latest ACR.

When Photoshop 12.x ("CS5") came out, I was totally underwhelmed, and ACR 6.x didn't move me to upgrade at all.

Then came the amazing rendering of raw files in ACR 7.x, and I jumped at the opportunity to upgrade to Photoshop CS5.1 with the promise of a free upgrade to Photoshop CS6 just a few weeks later.  That's how I ended up with Photoshop 13.0.1 and ACR 7.2RC1 for the single price of the Photoshop CS5 upgrade.

Camera support is not an issue for me, as my older cameras are already supported and my newer ones shoot DNGs natively anyway.

The subscription concept is a terrible idea from my point of view.  I find the mere thought of committing to paying a monthly tribute to Adobe for the rest of my life simply abhorrent.  That's worse than the suite concept.

Adobe has ceased to be in the business of selling software applications.   In order to survive, the corporation must be in the business of selling software upgrades--or rope its customers into paying the monthly Adobe protection fee in perpetuity.

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade from a whole suite to a single point application, so you are stuck in that respect.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find myself with two choices:  buying a full version of Photoshop that I can upgrade on its own in the future, or buy a full version of Lightroom that I can also upgrade individually. As I neither like nor use Lightroom, I'd go for an individual perpetual license to Photoshop.

Realistically I do not need any upgraded new version of any the Adobe applications.  If it weren't for ACR, I'd still be using Photoshop 10.x ACR is worth the $200 upgrade price.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I'm with you MPpulido. You're the only person on here with an ounce of common sense.

The way the average consumer in the digital age has been turned into a sad techno junky as if its laudable or desirable is pathetic.

Software, mobile phone, computer and camera manufacturers are constantly feeding off each others developments to justify the latest upgrade.

To suggest this is done in the interests of "art" or for the benefit of the consumer is chronically naive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

So what, the high tech companies should just all go out of business?  They've already sold one to virtually everyone who's buying.  You're saying that should be good enough.  What do they do after that?  Just stop?

You're neglecting to acknowledge that there are new and better things being done, which are valuable and the creators deserve to be paid for them.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

64 Noel Carboni, Have you really stopped to think about what you're saying?

I have just sat through watching some developer talk about a new focussing tool in CS6. He called it something like "a toy model effect" - laughable. Has nobody thought to tell him how crap this is....that view camera operators knew about this yonks ago and avoided it like the plague.....and for good reason.

There is nothing new under the sun and avarice by the digital age being passed off as "genius" by geeks is a sad reflection of just how gullible some of us are.

I forget which version of Photoshop missed out "contact sheet". This was always useful and the developers knew by withdrawing it it would - in itself - justify an upgrade down the line.

Now then ask yourself, was this "genius" or avarice?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I think about everything I write, yes.  Thank you for asking.

I don't fault people for wishing they could get more for their money - we all want that.  I even sang the same song once, until I educated myself on what's available and really did think about how things work.  Then I realized how ridiculous that position is.

No one's making the software you bought last year work worse than it did last year on your computer from last year.  You're getting all the value you paid for, and you are still able to use it this year and from now on.  You even get to use the brand new releases of DNG converter for free, so you don't have to worry about new cameras coming out that your current software does not support.

But if you want to play with the new features in the newest releases you've got to pay.  Where is the fault in that?

You call it greed, I call it what the market will bear.

It's not like those who have bought the previous version are out in the cold.  You get deeply discounted upgrade pricing if you'd like to keep current.  And, if you were so naive as to buy the last version within a month of the new release, they give you a free upgrade.  What, would you have them extend that to 1 full year of free upgrades?

Let me ask you this, Cromwell:  Would you consider working for the next year for free - doing the same work you've been doing?  After all, you have already been paid for doing it this year.

In turn I invite you to think.  It doesn't hurt.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Well, Carboni, thanks for the prompt.....and you're right it does not hurt to think so please; practice what you preach.

My point about certain tools holds true and what do you know - "Contact Sheet" is back on CS6, amazing!! I notice you didn't choose to "think" about this point but Adobe have, WOW!!

Why is it so painful to you to merely admit that it was unnecessary for Adobe to remove this feature in the first place?

Surely a bit of honesty wouldn't hurt, would it?

Recently I bought a new Canon Camera and the Raw files wouldn't open in either CS4 or Lightroom ( I expected this) so got upgrades ........no problem until I realised that these are not compatible with something called "Snow Leopard"

As well as my my Mac Pro I have an I Mac which is another cat - LION. "So", I ask the expert, "I'll put LION on my Mac Pro?" "No" he says, "you need to get MOUNTAIN LION!" FFS, how many bloody cats are there?

Passing the Apple Store a few days later I chatted to a friendly "genius" who assured me that I could do this on line via "App Store" but I'd first need to get the latest version of "SNOW LEOPARD".

Back home I realise that there is no "App store" on my Mac Pro 10.5.8 and that the OS upgrades for SNOW LEOPARD start at 6.1 and I need 6.0!

I need MOUNTAIN LION but cannot do this without first upgrading SNOW LEOPARD to a cat inbetween but I have to do this in stages and one of the upgrades necessary is not available.

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live .....all I want to do is get the benefit of the improved software and higher spec camera on my hugely powerful Mac Pro which is not even five years old.

There is probably a way through this irritating mess but as a consumer why shouldn't I expect that something that cost several thousand pounds wont become virtually useless after I get home from a long holiday?

Additionally, why shouldn't the consumer expect to be able to easily upgrade a machine which was sold with the promise that this was one of its USP's?

Of course, all these upgrades promise "awesome new features" "greater stability" etc. etc. but the average consumer is not aided as much by all these new features as you imagine.

If upgrading causes as much problems as I have encountered and all within such a short period surely even somebody as obtuse as yourself might realise that "upgrades" and "compatibility" is primarily designed to justify the outlay......and not to make our lives easier.

I'm not a luddite, I have benefitted as much as anyone from the switch away from analogue but some of the changes over encoding and software features are frankly just a marketing ploy.

We buy, we upgrade, we play around, we get used to what we know....we go on a sabbatical, lovely. We get home get a new bit of kit and everything you knew kicks up stink....followed by days of wasted effort and frustration.......so you buy, upgrade, download,

listen to geeks  - even they aren't up to speed with the changes - and after an exhausting labyrinthine journey (that isn't over yet) somebody gives me a lecture on pricing policy. Give over.

Just how cheap do you think my time is?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 09, 2012

cromwell99 wrote:

Recently I bought a new Canon Camera and the Raw files wouldn't open in either CS4 or Lightroom ( I expected this) so got upgrades ........no problem until I realised that these are not compatible with something called "Snow Leopard"

Both CS6 and Lightroom 4 ARE compatible with Snow Leopard.  You need to be updated to 10.6.8.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

VICTORIA, Yes, thanks, I know this now........ but getting there from 10.5.8 is not straightforward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 09, 2012

cromwell99 wrote:

VICTORIA, Yes, thanks, I know this now........ but getting there from 10.5.8 is not straightforward.

Ah, I see.  You said they weren't compatible with Snow Leopard, which is 10.6, so to update to 10.6.8 would be quite simple.  If you're on 10.5.8 (Leopard, no Snow), then yes, it's a more complex upgrade path.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Victoria, .....OMG, I missed out a cat!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

cromwell99 wrote:

As well as my my Mac Pro I have an I Mac which is another cat - LION. "So", I ask the expert, "I'll put LION on my Mac Pro?" "No" he says, "you need to get MOUNTAIN LION!" FFS, how many bloody cats are there?

Passing the Apple Store a few days later I chatted to a friendly "genius" who assured me that I could do this on line via "App Store" but I'd first need to get the latest version of "SNOW LEOPARD".

Back home I realise that there is no "App store" on my Mac Pro 10.5.8 and that the OS upgrades for SNOW LEOPARD start at 6.1 and I need 6.0!

I need MOUNTAIN LION but cannot do this without first upgrading SNOW LEOPARD to a cat inbetween but I have to do this in stages and one of the upgrades necessary is not available.

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live .....all I want to do is get the benefit of the improved software and higher spec camera on my hugely powerful Mac Pro which is not even five years old.

There is probably a way through this irritating mess but as a consumer why shouldn't I expect that something that cost several thousand pounds wont become virtually useless after I get home from a long holiday?

Additionally, why shouldn't the consumer expect to be able to easily upgrade a machine which was sold with the promise that this was one of its USP's?

Of course, all these upgrades promise "awesome new features" "greater stability" etc. etc. but the average consumer is not aided as much by all these new features as you imagine.

If upgrading causes as much problems as I have encountered and all within such a short period surely even somebody as obtuse as yourself might realise that "upgrades" and "compatibility" is primarily designed to justify the outlay......and not to make our lives easier.

I'm not a luddite, I have benefitted as much as anyone from the switch away from analogue but some of the changes over encoding and software features are frankly just a marketing ploy.

We buy, we upgrade, we play around, we get used to what we know....we go on a sabbatical, lovely. We get home get a new bit of kit and everything you knew kicks up stink....followed by days of wasted effort and frustration.......so you buy, upgrade, download,

listen to geeks  - even they aren't up to speed with the changes - and after an exhausting labyrinthine journey (that isn't over yet) somebody gives me a lecture on pricing policy. Give over.

Just how cheap do you think my time is?

Shouldn't you be complaining about this on an Apple forum?   Sheesh.

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

MOLLYsnoot, making a general point that the computing/digital industries change things and because of ensuing compatibility issues there is a consequential chain reaction of purchases.

The perception is that this is not to the benefit of the consumer.

I would have thought that much would be obvious.

Experience suggests that Adobe do more than most to protect the consumer's rights.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

cromwell99 wrote:

Naturally I'm now losing the will to live

Don't feel bad - it's not just a Macintosh thing.

Windows 8 is going to do that to a lot of people.

-Noel