• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon EOS 400D CR2 RAW is automatically converted into JPG while Import in Lightroom

New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

i´ve read a lot of articles and looked for answers already but somehow i could´nt find any solution how to solve my problem. Camera Raw clearly states that RAW CR2 of this old Canon Body EOS 400D is supported but somehow it converts the RAW CR2 into JPG (Lightroom CC / Lightroom Classic) or TIFF (Photoshop CC) when I import those files. In the photos folder on my mac they are marked as CR2, I even can work with the RAW format with ColorSync app that is provided by IOS. I already looked for new format drivers on the Canon homepage as well, but no luck. Can someone explain why this is not working properly in LR and CS?

IOS: macOS Catlina 10.15.4

Camera: Canon EOS 400D CR2 RAW

Lightroom Classic: 9.2.1 release

Camera Raw: 12.2.1.

Photoshop: 21.1.2. release

Thank you

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Okay, I was confused because I didn´t understand the general problem in importing CR2 RAW from Iphoto mediathek. If you drag&drop the RAW file from Iphoto folders into Lightroom it is imported as an JPG. After I removed the RAW Photos from Iphoto and saved them in a different folder everything was displayed right and now works accordingly. Thank you for your help. It simply was a beginners mistake from a windows user switched to MAC OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not and can not happen on import into LR Classic.

The only option for any type of conversion of RAW files during import is to convert RAW files to DNG files which DNG is a Type of RAW file format.

When you try to open a RAW file, ANY RAW file, in PS it must first go through Adobe Camera RAW and then be opened in PS as either a PSD or TIFF file depending on your setting choice in ACR.

Photoshop can not open RAW files directly. RAW files must always go through a RAW Developer like ACR or LR which has ACR Built into it (that is what the Develop module is in LR).

Once transferred to PS and Saved the RAW files is converted to either a PSD or TIFF.

Show use a screen shot of the Full LR Classic import dialog window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're talking about Lightroom and Photoshop and Camera Raw. Lightroom, by itself, doesn't use the camera raw plug-in. The camera raw plug-in is needed by Photoshop, but that technology is built into the Lightroom program. As was mentioned previously, converting raw files to JPEG simply does not happen. It just doesn't. Lightroom cannot do it, Camera Raw cannot do it. Lightroom CAN "save as" JPEG from the export module. Camera Raw CAN save JPEG copies, as can Photoshop. But the user must intentionally choose that option. It isn't something that is done automatically. And Lightroom certainly won't convert raw images to JPEG on import. There's an option to convert to DNG during import but nothing about converting to JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I was confused because I didn´t understand the general problem in importing CR2 RAW from Iphoto mediathek. If you drag&drop the RAW file from Iphoto folders into Lightroom it is imported as an JPG. After I removed the RAW Photos from Iphoto and saved them in a different folder everything was displayed right and now works accordingly. Thank you for your help. It simply was a beginners mistake from a windows user switched to MAC OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines