Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to CS4 and have been experiencing the following problem. When I open an image from ACR to PS CS4 it looks absolutely nothing like it did in ACR. If I was to describe it, it would be that the image has an overall red tint when viewed in CS4. If I then save this image as a PSD file, and then open it in PS CS3 it matches the CS4 ACR image. So, what have I got set wrong in PS CS4 (which is still all of the default settings)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything still sounds like a colorspace mis-match but both Ray and Jack indicate that they have checked Color Settings and they are correct. If either of you wanted to remove all doubt, it might be helpful to post a screen-shot of the CS3 and CS4 Color Settings window.

Beyond that, it sounds like one of two possible problems/solutions:
- Some kind of corruption that occured during instalation of CS4. If that was the case, a de-install and re-install might be called for.

- Some rarer kind of problem due to your particular mix or hardware, installs, and so on. Could even be a very specific bug in PS. Probably necessary to pursue with Adobe Support in that case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with CS4. I'm using Lightroom 2.2 as the basic tool and Photoshop for more detailed work.

If I compare LR to CS3 on the same monitor the images look identical. However, if I run the same test on CS4 I get an image similar to what Ray Knight describes!

I have a duel monitor system. I believe the problem for me is how CS4 handles monitor profiles when I move the image from one monitor to the other. I use a laptop LCD and an external high-res 21". Both are calibrated but have significantly different profiles.

CS4 always defaults to opening the image on my laptop - my primary monitor, so the first thing I do is move it to my external monitor. However, I notice that CS4 does not recognize the monitor change and therefore uses the same profile for the laptop monitor - which results in a poor looking image. If I save it back to LR the image looks great! If I do the same thing in CS3 the image always looks great. If I drag the same image in LR and CS4 to my laptop it looks great! So I believe CS4 is not interpreting the monitor profiles correctly. CS3 and LR2.2 always seem to handle this with no problems.

Not sure this solves your issues but I now have something to call Adobe or Apple about.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howard, this sounds identical to what I'm seeing. I also have two monitors (both calibrated), and my images in PS CS4 open up on the Apple monitor. They actually look fine there, but when I move to the monitor I use for editing (LaCie 526) I notice the change. PS CS3 opens directly to the LaCie monitor. Where does photoshop assign a primary monitor, or how can this be changed? Thanks for your response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Where does photoshop assign a primary monitor

Photoshop does not.

>or how can this be changed?

At the OS level. For instance, on a Mac you use Display Preferences to do it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tried the ColorSnyc Utility, which allows you to select the default profile, but that did not solve the problem. Then I always go back and ask myself why CS3 and LR do it right and CS4 does not? I've been searching the web but can not find anything that helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines