Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to CS4 and have been experiencing the following problem. When I open an image from ACR to PS CS4 it looks absolutely nothing like it did in ACR. If I was to describe it, it would be that the image has an overall red tint when viewed in CS4. If I then save this image as a PSD file, and then open it in PS CS3 it matches the CS4 ACR image. So, what have I got set wrong in PS CS4 (which is still all of the default settings)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only ONE monitor.
PS renders a reddish, darker image than Bridge. The same image seems to be correctly displayed by Bridge.
I cannot get the image as displayed by PS to be identical to Bridge by applying different color profiles in PS. Therefore, I'd like to try the complement, that is, change the color profile in Bridge to match the image in PS.
Can I change the profile Bridge uses?
In any event, there seems to be a problem within PS CS4. If both Bridge and PS use the same profile (is this 'synchronization'?), the images should be identical as rendered by both apps. They are not even close to being identical as my system is set up now, and I'd like to fix this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph,

PS, Bridge, and ACR should all be automatically using the active monitor profile that has been set in your operating system (Mac or Win?). I know of no way to change that in any of the programs directly. You can re-profile your monitor, which will establish a new active profile, or you can use your operating system to manually select a specific monitor profile. Any of these changes of the monitor profile at the OS level, however, should impact all of the Adobe programs the same.

Now working colorspace is a different thing. You can have ACR set to one (ProPhoto, for example) and PS set to another (sRGB, for example). Under this situation you could have problems if you have your color management policies in PS set to "off".

Could you tell us what RGB working space you are using in PS in Color Settings? What color policy are you using for RGB in Color Settings in PS?

Sorry if you have already went through this. It does seem likely that there is an issue in certain situations (multiple monitors, upgrades over previous versions, etc.) that maybe Adobe needs to address since several people seem to be reporting it but there are also common configuration mistakes that can cause problems. It is important to rule them out.

Since you came into the thread a little late, it might also be helpful to explain from square one exactly what you are comparing. You are apparently seeing differences from Bridge to PS. What types of files? Does a raw file developed in ACR also change color when it gets to PS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis and thanks for the response.

My LCD monitor has been calibrated by colorimiter, and the monitor profile is OK. As you mentioned, the OS (XP, in my case) uses that regardless of app, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The camera (Canon) is set to shoot sRGB, jpg format.

I really don't use camera ACR since I shoot jpg. But I chimed into this thread because it seems like others may be having the same or similar difficulties as me.

PS CS4 color space is set to North American General Purpose 2, with sRGB... as the Working Space.

Color Management is set to Preserve Profiles.

In Bridge, Creative Suite Color Settings, North American General Purpose 2 is synchronized.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the image to look the same in PS and Bridge. The PS version has a reddish tint and is darker than it should be.

I have posted a copy of an image at www.three-six-zero.com/adobe/P1010064.JPG. Perhaps you could look at it on your machine???

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried turning off the OpenGL option?

I did this in PS CS4 and now it behaves as CS3 on my second monitor.

Rob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup that works! I tried messing around with all the advanced settings but did not try that. Makes sense because this was a new feature in CS4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines