Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

I recently upgraded to CS4 and have been experiencing the following problem. When I open an image from ACR to PS CS4 it looks absolutely nothing like it did in ACR. If I was to describe it, it would be that the image has an overall red tint when viewed in CS4. If I then save this image as a PSD file, and then open it in PS CS3 it matches the CS4 ACR image. So, what have I got set wrong in PS CS4 (which is still all of the default settings)?
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

I recently upgraded to CS4 and have been experiencing the following problem. When I open an image from ACR to PS CS4 it looks absolutely nothing like it did in ACR. If I was to describe it, it would be that the image has an overall red tint when viewed in CS4. If I then save this image as a PSD file, and then open it in PS CS3 it matches the CS4 ACR image. So, what have I got set wrong in PS CS4 (which is still all of the default settings)?
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
76 Replies

Re: Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

The default camera profile changed to "Adobe Standard" with Camera Raw 5.2. If you don't like it, change the default back.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks for the response I did change the default camera profile as you suggested (changed to ACR4.6). The image does show a subtle change in ACR, but still a huge change when its opened. Perhaps a better way to explain my problem is this. When I open an image with CS3 PS it looks great. The same image opened in CS4 PS looks dark and red. I have two monitors, and have only calibrated the LACIE - where does a given version of photoshop pick up the monitor ICC profile, and could it be that the two different versions of photoshop are utilizing a different ICC profile?
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I am having the same problem.  I upgraded to CS4 from CS3 and I am using

Windows 7.  I can't find a solution to this problem.  I did the vidoe card check, and Windows 7 updates.

Not sure what to try next?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

It is most likely NOT a monitor profile problem since any monitor profile should be in effect for CS3, CS4, and ACR.

What IS likely the problem is a mis-match in working color space. You probably have a different working colorspace set in CS4 as compared to CS3 or you have the other color settings set in such as way so that CS3 automatically adapts and CS4 doesn't.

Here is what you need to check:
You need to check Edit>Color Settings... in both CS3 and CS4. If you want them to behave the same, they should be set the same. Your working colorspace is a matter of preference. The most common are sRGB, AdobeRGB, and ProPhoto. If you have no idea what I am talking about and most of your images are either displayed online, sent via email to friends and family, or printed at the local drugstore then sRGB is probably a good choice. As you have time to learn about colorspace, you can try others.

I usually use "Preserve Embedded Profiles" for the Profiles section of the color settings and I put the checkmarks in all the "Ask When" options of the Color Settings. That way, PS always reminds me if there is a mis-match coming into PS.

Now you need to check which colorspace ACR is using when it does its raw development. If you look under the image in the ACR editing window, you will see a line of blue, underlined text. Click on that and you can set what colorspace will be used by ACR to develop images. Normally, you will want to make this colorspace match your working colorspace in PS but if you set up the color settings in PS as I mentioned above, you don't have to necessarily. Using the settings above, if you happen to generate an image from ACR in the ProPhoto colorspace and your PS working space is set to sRGB, PS will prompt you to make a decision. You can then decide if you want to use the colorspace embedded in the incoming image (ProPhoto)or the default working space you had previously chosen for PS (sRGB).

If colorspace issues are new to you, they can be kind of confusing at first. You may just want to set both PS and ACR to sRGB and use that for now.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks I am doing these things now.  The images seem to match better. Now I just have to see if the prints are still dark.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Again thanks for the response. Both of the color spaces (CS3 and CS4) were set to sRGB - I have changed the color spaces in ACR, and PS between sRGB, Adobe RGB, and ProPhoto. I can see the differences in the images on the monitor, however even when matched, or I do have it the use imbedded profile selected, when it is opened in PS CS4 its just a huge change.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What color settings do you have set in Photoshop? (If it is "Monitor Color" then that is your problem).
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines