• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert .DNG to .XMP

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is unorthodox, but I want to get rid of all the dng files I created and replace them with xmp files to go with my original raw (nef) files. Please don't tell me to stick with the dng files, I know what is recommended but I really can't do that...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

You haven't indicated what program you are using. If you are using Lightroom then you will have to highlight each DNG/raw  pair and synchronize the settings. Then you will have to have Lightroom set up to write changes to XMP files. If you are using Photoshop/Bridge then you will have to right-click on each DNG file and copy the settings. Then right-click on the raw file and paste the settings. You cannot convert a DNG file to an XMP file as you suggest in the title of your message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't indicated what program you are using. If you are using Lightroom then you will have to highlight each DNG/raw  pair and synchronize the settings. Then you will have to have Lightroom set up to write changes to XMP files. If you are using Photoshop/Bridge then you will have to right-click on each DNG file and copy the settings. Then right-click on the raw file and paste the settings. You cannot convert a DNG file to an XMP file as you suggest in the title of your message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use either... Thank you! Sounds like I have a long  night ahead of me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just curious to know why you can't use the DNG files. Seems like a lot of work to go through just to be able to create XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... It may sound silly but I am OCD (as in actually OCD) and this is making me very anxious. Doing tedious work is easier than convincing my brain that dng files are ok 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to go to all of the effort of doing that, then do it if it makes you feel more secure. But the DNG files have precisely the same raw image data. And you won't be able do tell the difference between the work done on the DNG file as compared to the NEF file. The choice is yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something you could try. Use your system browser (File Explorer or Finder) to highlight all of the DNG files and change them to read-only. Then highlight all of the DNG files in Lightroom and hit Ctrl/S to write the changes to XMP. This should create an XMP file for each DNG file because they are now read-only. Then try deleting one DNG file and see if the XMP file will associate with the right NEF file. If the files associate and all of the adjustments are there, then you can safely delete all of the other DNG files. This is assuming that the DNG file and the NEF file have the same name. It will probably be necessary for you to highlight the NEF files and choose the option to read metadata from file in the Lightroom menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines