• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.CR2 files won't open in Photoshop CS4

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got CS4 Extended version of Photoshop and need to work on my RAW files, but they won't open. I can see the thumbnails in Bridge and when I try to open them Photoshop says they're "not the right type of document"...so...not sure what to do. I've done a ton of research and cannot figure out why these files are unable to open. I need help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Camera Raw? What Canon camera? What OS?

We need basic troubleshooting info to offer any help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read this TechNote?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407110.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2010 Sep 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! fixed my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue not being able to open CR2 files in Photoshop CS4 ... I downloaded the new ACR 5.4 update and it didn't help. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the missing information. I use a Canon 50D and the Camera Raw version I downloaded is 5.3, but I believe Photoshop CS4 has a RAW plug in already included as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sjoymartin wrote:

Sorry about the missing information. I use a Canon 50D and the Camera Raw version I downloaded is 5.3, but I believe Photoshop CS4 has a RAW plug in already included as well.

The version that shipped with Photoshop CS4 was basically a place holder. Version 5.3 is the real deal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to replace the old obsolete Camera Raw plug-in (5.0) that comes with CS4 with the new ACR 5.3, which must be correctly installed according to the instructions on the download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue not being able to open CR2 files in Photoshop CS4 ... I downloaded the new ACR 5.4 update and it didn't help. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update for Photoshop CS4 is 5.7.

What camera do you have?  CR2 files from each model are different, and if you're camera is newer than Camera Raw 5.7 then you won't be able to open the CR2 files directly.  You'll have to go through the free DNG converter app or buy Photoshop CS5.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello janadale - i am wondering how you solved the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello i am having the same problem - i run windows 7 - i have cs4 and just got a canon 60d and the cr2 - raw  files won't open - anyone has the same problem and solved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 60D was first supported Photoshop CS5 using ACR 6.2.

You either need to pay for the upgrade to PS CS5 and update it to the latest versions of things, OR convert your CR2 files to DNG files using the latest version of the DNG Converter which is free from Adobe and they will open in the older ACR that you have with CS4.

You can find the latest DNG Converter by drilling down into the Camera RAW 6.6 update pages linked off of:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question I have a PowerPC G5 that I got for my photography hobby for $100 and it has all the CS3/4 installed as well as Lightroom and iphoto. So will the CR2 to DNG converter work on that. Is it all worth the work or would jpeg files be ok to work with in all these programs. All I want to do is learn photoshop on the old system and do some creative editing of photos or minor adjustments. Just for that I don't want to spend $4000 on a brand new mac pro with I don't know 24 cores and 800 stream processor graphics card. The 6600 card and the quad core g5 with 3 tb storage should be ok for me for now. So will cr2 to dng work or is there a version that runs on a g5 architecture. Oh and i don't know if there is a CS5 version that works on g5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something weird going on here - My CS4 opened all my EOS 7D raw (CR2) files perfectly until this morning, I worked on one file, closed it then went to open another in Bridge and as I looked at the screen the images turned one by one into icons.

I tried another folder, same thing, f I try to open a file I just get the message saying that the file can't be opened, even though I've been working on them since I bought the camera.

EOS 5d raw files are fine, it's just the 7D.

I've uninstalled and re-installed CS4 and the latest updates, no luck. I've run a virus scan, no viruses. The only thing I can think of is that there must be a date and time set somewhere in CS4 that's preventing me opening the files.

Anyone else had ths trouble?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do PS -> Help / About Plug-ins… / Camera RAW and what version does it say. Also is there more than one Camera RAW listed?

Did the security on your system change? What OS? Are you an Administrator on the computer? Can you copy the files to somewhere else and will they open ok, then?

Perhaps post one of the 7D RAW files for someone to try to see if it works for them. Upload to www.YouSendIt.com or www.DropBox.com and post the download link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Vista 64, CS4 64 bit, I removed and reinstalled CS4 then tried installing the camera raw 6.5 (and 6.6) updater but I just get a message saying it's not applicable.

I am the administrator and no, the security on my system hasn't changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doughorrigan99 wrote:

Hi,

Vista 64, CS4 64 bit, I removed and reinstalled CS4 then tried installing the camera raw 6.5 (and 6.6) updater but I just get a message saying it's not applicable.

I am the administrator and no, the security on my system hasn't changed

ACR 6.x will only work with Photoshop CS5.  The last version that will work with CS4 is version 5.7.  If your camera is not supported in that version you will either have to upgrade Photoshop, are else use the latest DNG converter to create DNG copies of your raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try to get a copy of 5.7. It should work with the camera - it has been doing since April 2011, it only stopped working today for some reason.

As Adobe always release a new version whenever I update and then refuse to support the version I've just bought (as they are doing in this case) then I'll not bother buying anymore updates. Any ideas where can I get a DNG convertor?

Regards,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 7D was supported in ACR 5.6 so you should be fine if you update to 5.7. It is still a mystery why it started failing this morning. You should be able to check for updates inside CS4 from the Help menu, and it’ll know that ACR 5.7 is the last compatible version.

Adobe only updates ACR for the current version of Photoshop. The release schedule for Photoshop has been reasonably stable at 18-months give or take a few months, for quite a few versions, so if you really updated to CS4 just before CS5 came out, that is not Adobe’s fault. Unless they change their mind, starting with CS6 Adobe will require you update every time or pay full price, apparently because they feel they are losing money by people skipping a versions.

An alternative is to use Lightroom which costs half the price of Photoshop, and continue to use Photoshop CS4 to do your final edits, but use LR in place of ACR for most things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doughorrigan99 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try to get a copy of 5.7. It should work with the camera - it has been doing since April 2011, it only stopped working today for some reason.

As Adobe always release a new version whenever I update and then refuse to support the version I've just bought (as they are doing in this case) then I'll not bother buying anymore updates. Any ideas where can I get a DNG convertor?

Regards,

Doug

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5310

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doughorrigan99 wrote:

Are you saying you buy new cameras, but as far as Photoshop goes you wait until the end of a release cycle to buy an upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop, you don't have their free DNG converter which will allow you to use your old software with new cameras, THEN you blame Adobe for not supporting you?

Consider this as an alternate strategy:

1.  Buy the Adobe Photoshop upgrade to the latest version when it is first released.

2.  Enjoy the convenience of full support throughout the release cycle.

3.  Get maximum value from the released version.

4.  Repeat.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought CS4 a year before I bought the 7D, photoshop read all the 7D files PERFECTLY until this morning, then it just stopped reading them.

As for buying each new release, er, no. Most photographers I know don't get much benefit out of the upgrades anyway as most of the 'new features' aren't really applicable to the majority of their work, so they only upgrade every second or third release.

As for myself, I only bought CS4 as I upgraded my pc to a 64 bit machine.

If Adobe want everyone to upgrade each time they bring out a new release then I think they'll lose a lot of customers, I can get by quite happily with the conversion software provided by the camera manufacturer, it's just easier to open it in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you lose your 7D RAW capability again, come back before changing anything. After re-installing, had the Adobe Updater started up a little sooner, no forum post would have been necessary.

A customer who skips a version is already a lost customer.

We can all find ways not to spend money that we don’t have enough of. Adobe also is trying to find ways to not fire workers. They have already outsourced their level-one support to India. Now they’re trying something else to even out their cash flow.

Us hobbyists are at the mercy of policies meant for business-related customers, just the like high-end DSLR pricing. A 1D can’t cost 8 times more to make than a 1000D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 7D RAW capability never came back, I downloaded and installed 5.7 as advised but it still won't let me view and process the files with Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines