• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.CR2 files won't open in Photoshop CS4

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got CS4 Extended version of Photoshop and need to work on my RAW files, but they won't open. I can see the thumbnails in Bridge and when I try to open them Photoshop says they're "not the right type of document"...so...not sure what to do. I've done a ton of research and cannot figure out why these files are unable to open. I need help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reason this sometimes happens is that you may have two versions of ACR installed, then and PS is picking up the wrong one.

Do PS -> Help / About Plugins… and look for how many Camera RAWs are listed and check the version of each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing would be to purge your Camera RAW cache and your thumbnail cache, I think there are two caches you can find in Preferences in either Bridge or Photoshop, itself, in case the cache has become corrupted.

If this doesn’t fix things, then go out to where the cache is reported as being located in the settings and look at the permissions of the folders, there. You also might try changing the cache locations to somewhere else that you are sure you have permissions for.

Run as SCANDISK or CHKDSK or whatever it is called, nowadays, in case something is bad in the file-system that Bridge has detected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for this, purging both caches has done the trick, ps now working just fine again.

Regards,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're filling the Camera Raw cache but your disk(s) have enough space, you could consider increasing the space allocated for the cache to grow.  It's next to the [Purge Cache] button in the Camera Raw Settings dialog.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the simple answer after 20 hours of research, Adobe REFUSING to help because I do not have NEW product, which is terrible. One sentence would have saved me ALL THAT TIME.

I have CS4. I have a new computer. I reinstalled CS4. I could not get the latest version of Camera Raw which is Camera Raw 5.7 to install. My raw files could not be seen. Finally I hit upon the answer.

BRIDGE > EDIT > PREFERENCES > now uncheck START BRIDGE AT LOGIN.

Now you can easily download and install Camera Raw 5.7 which will reveal your raw files and get back to normal no thanks to Adobe help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DiDeCaire77 wrote:

Now you can easily download and install Camera Raw 5.7 which will reveal your raw files and get back to normal no thanks to Adobe help.

Here is the link to the instructions and download link for Camera Raw for Windows:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4681

And here is the link for the Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Macintosh&product=106

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem recently and worked on the solution this morning.  I havn't read the full info stream here, but can tell you what finally worked for me today.

I also have CS4, and recently bought a Canon 7D.  My .CR2 files would not open, due to proprietay issues with the new camera.

I first had to buy a download of WinZip, since I wasn't able to open any download from Adobe.  The WinZip was about $30.  Next, I went back to Adobe/downloads/updates and used Find Product Updates menu.  I found the compatable update of RAW plug in was 5.7 for our CS4 version.  I clicked the link to this download, and began the process by clicking Save.  I then went to the Download folder and found the file from Adobe in the WinZip folder.  At this point I went back to the Adobe download site and printed out the download instructions concerning where to find the old plug in, what to do with it, and how to install the newer downloaded plug in. 

After all this, I opened CS4, Bridge, located my first .CR2 file, and it worked just fine.  I was also able to convert these .CR2 files, once opened, to DNG files.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Windows and OSX open zip files natively, so you shouldn't have had to buy anything even if you did want to unzip a zip file.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information here, Noel.  I also appreciate Doug's reply.  Perhaps I do have a setting on the computer that sent the download from Adobe only to the Zip folder, but would have no clue as to how to change that.  ( I'm not a real good IT guy..............:  ). 

Anyway, It seems that the question has been answered, and the information in the forum got me started in the right direction.

Good to know that there are forums like these to help out.  Thansk again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dng converter does NOT work. pointed it to the file containing my cr2 files from canon 600D camera and it says the folder is empty. pointed it to the memory card from the camera and it says that is empty as well. the converter is the verions listed for the 600D. any way to get a converter from adobe that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hawaiilovesart wrote:

dng converter does NOT work. pointed it to the file containing my cr2 files from canon 600D camera and it says the folder is empty. pointed it to the memory card from the camera and it says that is empty as well. the converter is the verions listed for the 600D. any way to get a converter from adobe that works?

I suspect you may be misinterpreting what you're seeing, hawaiilovesart.  No image thumbnails or files will show up in the folder selection window, because you're selecting a folder with the UI, not a file.  Once you've got it pointed to the right places, go ahead and tell it to do the conversion.  You'll find it works.

Make sure you are running the latest version of the application (6.7 as of this writing, with 7.1RC beta available), which understands the most different camera formats.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes version 6.7 worked thanks and they open in CS just fine. Odd that version 6.4 did not work because that is the one that officially lists the canon 600D as now supported.

There is no preview of image tho when I open the dng folder, only the icon with the blue shutter. Is there a way to show thumbs? Now I have open Faststone so I can see thumbs to match image to file name, much easier that way lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to get a codec that understands DNG files.  I think may be one somewhere on the Adobe Labs site (search for it).

I don't know about an Adobe DNG codec because I've bought a commercial codec pack that understands virtually all files, including DNG files and even Nikon D800 raw files.  It's called the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, and it gives you the ability to see thumbnails from virtually every image file type there is in all the different flavors of Explorer window.

PSFileOpenWithCodecs.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Noel, found a codec! thanks for the idea of what to look for:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Codec

opens dng in windows explorer and in photoshop CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The solution (sent by ssprengel) was to purge the Camera RAW cache and the thumbnail cache.

Kind regards,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines