• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert UI to older Camera Raw UI (12.2.1) after Interface Changes

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after updating photoshop , when i opened it for the first time there was option to use camera raw as it is (vertical film) or to change it to new UI (with new look and horizontal filmstrip ), i just clicked new UI to see how it looks , i thought if i dont like it i will just go back to using older UI but there is no option to select older UI , i contacted adobe but person who was helping me just suggested that i should install older version of camera raw or ask for help from this forum , i found it bit frustrating that if there was simple option to choose new UI so why not give option to revert back to older UI with newly updated software. maybe its bug or adobe forcing people to use new UI even if they dont like it

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
If you want to refer to 12.2.1, you can do so here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
788 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's scary what happened to Ui CameraRaw, it's not for I pay for Photoshop to force Lightroom on me !!!!!!!
Batch processing, in the previous update the copying of all settings has been improved a great advantage, in the end you can transfer all settings immediately with a preview to all photos.
And now what happened UI change, kills my processing speed normally I process in a few hours through CR 600-800 photos, now several stripes, searching for options vertically frighten, I do not want to work so much on one photo waste time.
Earlier, the UI with tabs was fast, convenient, and it wouldn't bother to introduce new functionality and updates that are great.
The same with cropping photos, it was introduced earlier, but everyone could return to classic, fast and efficient settings.
Now it is not even possible.
I think it's time to sift into new software, and I've been using photoshop since version 3.1 - how old it is, it's a shame, Adobe is forgetting about the professionalists who have been with it for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently there is a fix in the works. There have been enough complaints that Adobe is going to do something about it. In the meantime, here is a link that will enable you to revert to the previous version to hold you over until the fix is released:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have the newest Bridge and ACR 12.3, everything is normal except I'm stuck with the new ACR interface. When I roll back ACR to 12.2.1 or 11.4.1, all raw file thumbnails disappear in Bridge, both CR2 and ARW, and the ARW files won't open in either ACR. If I roll back Bridge to any previous version, the CR2 thumbnails show, but not ARW and the ARW still won't open in ACR or PS. I opened a non-updated Bridge and PS on an older laptop and the old versions work perfectly on everything so I appear to be stuck with the new UI on a newer computer or using an old computer that barely runs but works as it should. The worst of both worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new one looks awful!! It looks like some Lightroom (which is bad).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise, I rolled back to the previous version of Camera RAW and bridge to get them both working properly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Bridge are you running? CC tells me mine's up to date, in Bridge it displays 9.1.0.338 (in the menu: Help, About). Works perfectly for me with ACR 12.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Alan, but I've tried every combination of Bridge, back to 9.0.338, and ACR back several versions. I've also installed a different driver for the graphics card. Things only work with the current versions of each. I think something else is going on as well. I have to keep the graphics processor deactivated in PS and ACR on this computer (even before the update) as there is some sort of conflict between the two programs and my keyboard. I'll work on that issue and use the new UI in the meantime. I may test out Topaz Studio 2 as well. I've been using PS for about 15 years and I'd hate to leave over a dumb UI change, but if Adobe doesn't fix things, it will be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now the only option is to go back one version to camera raw 12.2.1

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/need-a-download-link-to-acr-12-2-1-previous-version/td-p/1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry one solution albeit one you may not want to hear is try converting the CR2 and AWR files to DNG. This may get past them not opening in earlier versions of ACR 12.3. Second have a test back up system software so you don't end up pouching your main setup. One I just thought of is try rolling back Photoshop to the previous version along with Bridge and ACR.

One thing I noticed rolling back ACR to 12.2.1 now when I double click a file in the latest version Bridge  ACR only opens by launching the latest version of Photoshop I have installed. Before these updates ACR worked independently of Photoshop i.e. Photoshop didn't need to be open to use ACR.

This wasn't just an update to ACR this was definitely a complete redesign philosophy of the UI. One that is less productive and counter intuitive. The old UI you could simply check every setting by scroll click scroll click scroll click along the icon tabs. That has now become scroll click scroll scroll task bar scroll click scroll scroll task bar scroll click scroll scroll task bar scroll click with not just adding more scrolling but the scrolling is much greater distances.

Several things are at play here as this is a business decision by Adobe because it certainly hasn't anything to do with better UI design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree and not only is it ugly, the basic crop function is unuseable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need to roll back Bridge to 10.0.4 for full compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop tool..... 

1. Is it possible to use the "classic" way to crop.... I prefer to draw the crop rather than have to adjust the image to fit the crop. 

2. Is there a way to set the crop to one setting.... it reverts back to the default for every photo.

There is a lock icon but seems to do nothing.

Will have to revert to previous edition if answer is no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this new camera raw is bad as hell!!! Having huge problems too! Damn, hate it. And the support is soo bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Can you please direct me to the other thread you refer to. I feel the need to read it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More observations:

When I have several images “open” in ACR, if I zoom into one, then go to the next, it is also zoomed in. Previously, each image was independent of the others. This behavior would make sense if all images were selected, but they are not.

Also, if I move the image with the hand tool halfway out of view, and go to the next image, it also has moved. I am not clear why I would need to move an image out of view, when not zoomed in at all? I find that that window is very sensitive to movements of my mouse, so I am constantly having to chase after images, and re-centering them by using Command + 0 (on a Mac). I wish I could deactivate that “slippery” functionality- would much rather have an image viewed at Fit in view, well...fitting in my view.

Command + Option + P seems to no longer work to let me see changes to the image using just the current open panel. In previous version, I had disabled Q function, opting for ability to toggle before/after for just that panel, but now having Q unchecked does not give previous C + O + P function. P still works, and shows before/after for all panels at once.

I am not clear on what I am supposed to do with the \ key, to Toggle to default setting? It doesn’t seem to toggle completely to default, which I take to mean how image was imported using my default preset. It keeps many of those settings, but not for instance, the lens correction. If I use More image settings to select Reset to default, it shows how image was with import preset applied, before I made any additional changes, including lens profile applied. So each “Default” is a slightly different group of settings for an image.

To me default is the settings I saved as the standard preset to use on images imported from a specific camera, which includes lens correction.

And please bring back the Esc key to dismiss changes to ACR window, as now I have to do Shift + Esc, which is extra keys/work. Also, could we have a way use keyboard to save changes (Done) without opening the images into Photoshop (which happens if I hit Enter)? How about Shift or Option + Enter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry, although counter-intuitive, consider "updating" Bridge to the latest version now that you've rolled ACR back.
I initially updated Bridge, PS, LR and ACR to latest versions, then decided ACR 12.3 wasn't to my liking (don't get me started).  So I rolled back ACR to 12.2.1 (using the links provided in this forum).  But then Bridge was not showing thumbnails and "Open in Camera RAW" was disabled.  I then rebooted, reverted Bridge back to a previous version and it all worked again. I also use Sony ARW files.  I am still on the previous version of Bridge, but my feeling is it will still work if I update to the latest.

One thing I don't like about ACR 12.3 is, apart from the unintuitive way cropping now works, is that you are forced to use sidecar XMP files. There is no longer an option to store photo adjustments in the Camera RAW database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that Adobe forget to address amidst the "great" redesign is scaling. ACR has always been and unfortunately still is completely unusable when Windows scaling is set to 150%. ACR windows get so big that it does not fit the screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert to the previous version of Camera Raw 12.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Also downgrade Bridge to 10.0.4 and the madness that is biased towards lightroom users has gone and harmony is restored

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert to the previous version of Camera Raw 12.2.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Also downgrade Bridge to 10.0.4 and the madness that is biased towards lightroom users has gone and harmony is restored

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Can I just revert to Camera Raw 12.2....?

Do I need to downgrade Bridge as well for it work?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right ... we also need the classic mode in our company ... this "modern" way is aweful and cost us much time. I can't understand how adobe can do this change without option as in PS to go back to classic.

Also the "new" design is really bad, but i can life with it ... but never with this crop tool. Maybe it's time to look for another software and cancel adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word is that I have seen is that there is a fix in the works. I don't know what it is because I have no connection with Adobe. But your voice has been heard. As usual, there is no hint as to when this fix will be available. In the meantime, if you want to go back to the previous version of Camera Raw, here is a link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for going on 25 years. I've never seriously considered changing until now. I see a lot of my fellow sports photographers using a certain "mechanical" software... As long as I have to learn a new software package, why not.

Votes

Translate

Translate