Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter Applies Unwanted Profile When Converting NEF Files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with Adobe DNG converter.

Since yesterday the converter has been applying an odd profile when converting NEF files from my D750, Adjustments to the exposure and white balance are most noticeable, any ideas what's happening and why?

Changing the monitor colour profile doesn't make a difference and it's the same result with different versions of DNG converter.

Thanks for any help!

Nikon D750 - NEF

Windows 10 64bit - latest updates applied

ColourBalance.JPGLightroomColour.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Thanks for your help JimHess​

Resetting to Camera Raw Defaults in Adobe Camera Raw fixed the issue!

Based on your findings, I ruled out any problems with the NEF Raw files from camera, as you were getting the expected results.

I imported a RAW into Photoshop using Camera Raw and got the same blue shift in white balance etc. This led me to look at where DNG Converter and Camera RAW were getting their settings from...

It appears that, although DNG converter is a standalone program, it reads the setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never experienced that with the DNG converter. Would you care to share one of your NEF files so I could try the conversion here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,

I've dropped a couple of files here.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used DNG converter version 10.2. I converted one of your images, then reduced the size. No other adjustments. This was the result:

_DSC1603.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's the other one, same routine.

_DSC1613.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, I can pretty much replicate your results by moving the temperature slider all the way to the left. How did it get to that position? That certainly wouldn't be a default setting. At least it wouldn't seem to be. Also, the histogram indicates that the image is somewhat overexposed. Is that really the way the DNG converter did its job? Doesn't seem right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, here's a screenshot showing the NEF, DNG and JPEG of one of the images. All side-by-side.

Capture.JPG

As you can see, I did a little color correction on the DNG file. In case you're wondering, these were done using the latest Camera Raw. This screenshot is from Bridge. I usually use Lightroom, but didn't see the need since I was using the standalone DNG converter and a couple of "orphan" images.

This is just a thought, and I'm speaking outside of my area of knowledge (let alone any level of expertise). The underscore prefix on the filename indicates that you have your camera programmed to shoot in Adobe RGB. I don't ever try to manipulate any of this stuff, and different color spaces are not supposed to affect raw photography. But I'm just wondering if that might have something to do with this. I don't know. It's just a thought that occurred to me. I'm probably not being much help in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help JimHess​

Resetting to Camera Raw Defaults in Adobe Camera Raw fixed the issue!

Based on your findings, I ruled out any problems with the NEF Raw files from camera, as you were getting the expected results.

I imported a RAW into Photoshop using Camera Raw and got the same blue shift in white balance etc. This led me to look at where DNG Converter and Camera RAW were getting their settings from...

It appears that, although DNG converter is a standalone program, it reads the settings from the same Camera Raw profile as ACR.

It's still a mystery how my Camera Raw Profile got so messed up though... Back to editing @pepe.dog 's snow pics now.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you posted shows that extensive edits have been made to the image.

This could have been caused by a develop preset being applied on import, but since all the values are gray (not white), I wonder if you have inadvertently saved these settings as default, so that they are applied to every image you import from that camera.

With an image open, go to Develop > Set default settings, and choose Restore Adobe default settings.

This should change all settings to default/neutral, and set White balance to As shot.

Now click Reset at the bottom right of the screen, which should update the image. and images you import from now on should display properly without any settings applied.

JimHess wrote

The underscore prefix on the filename indicates that you have your camera programmed to shoot in Adobe RGB. I don't ever try to manipulate any of this stuff, and different color spaces are not supposed to affect raw photography. But I'm just wondering if that might have something to do with this.

The color profile only affects jpgs, and has no effect on raw files, which are grayscale files.

Colors are added in the rendering process, and the image only gets an embedded profile when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

Your answer is spot on!

I couldn't figure out why DNG Converter was applying the changes, I wasn't expecting Lightroom or ACR to have any effect on the file conversion settings.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Erm JimHess​

This is basically the same issue brought up 10 years ago and again 2 years ago, in threads that you were active on. The diagnosis was clear, and your assumption that the DNG converter does not embed any profiles into the DNG was repeatedly corrected. It in fact just does, from the default camera profiles folder, confirmed by Thomas Knoll himself:

Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles

DNG Converter Loads Unwanted Custom Profile in Converted DNG File

How to choose when to embed custom .dcp in DNG Converted file

Do appreciate your effort though, but in the future you could simply reference those old threads and not make things convoluted by ignoring an already laid out understanding of the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines