• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter Does Not Recognize Olympus ORF Files

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed DNG Converter 12.0 to convert ORF files created by an Olympus TG-6.

I'm aware of previous solutions to this same error: "select the source folder but don't open it."  Through the DNG application window I've tried both selecting the source folder as well as opening it.  

DNG Converter does accept raw files from my Sony camera, but the ORF files give the error: "The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files."

Are TG-6 ORF files supported by DNG Converter 12.0?  Thank you for your advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

For what it's worth, I went searching and found DNG converter 12 and installed it. The first time I tried to convert those sample files I downloaded I got the same message you did that there were no files to convert. So I went into the options for the DNG converter and changed some of those options like to full-sized previews and fast load data and just played around with some of that stuff for a minute. Then I went back to the main screen and was able to convert the images. Then I went back to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

For the record, I reinstalled DNG Converter.  It now converts my ORF files as it should. 

I suspect the fault was caused by an application installation error when macOS Security halted the installation and waited for administrator-level approval of the software developer.  This often requires restarting the application installation process but in this case the installation appeared to have completed successfully after approval was granted.

Thanks again for your helpful advice Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That model has been supported for quite some time. If you are certain you are choosing just the folder containing the raw files DNG converter 12.0 should convert them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am certain:

1. In DNG Converter under step 1, click on "Select Folder..."
  2. Navigate to the folder that contains folder with the ORF files.
  3. Select the folder with the ORF files so the folder is highlighted and click "Select".
  4. Verify the folder path next to "Select Folder..." correlates to the folder that contains the ORF files.
  5. Click "Convert".
  6. Receive the error message and sigh with frustration.

If after step 3 I return to step 1, the DNG Converter folder navigator is now inside the folder that I selected and I can see the ORF files.

Also, if I place in this folder a single ARW file from my Sony camera and follow the same steps above, DNG converter identifies and converts the ARW file only.

I doubt that it's pertinent, but I'm running macOS 10.13.6

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just dragging/dropping a single raw file onto the DNG converter icon with the program closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't thought of that approach.

When I tried it just now, dragging an ORF file on to the DNG app icon, DNG Converter opened with the same folder path I used before and successfully converted the one Sony raw (ARW) image I have in the folder. 

When I removed the ARW file and tried it again with the ORF file, I received the same error message as before: source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG converter obviously recognizes the raw files. There seems to be something awry with how you are choosing the location of your files. Are you certain you are choosing just the folder containing the files and NOT opening the folder when setting things up in the DNG converter? I know, it's a basic question but I have to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes:

1. In DNG Converter under step 1, click on "Select Folder..."
  2. Navigate to the folder that contains folder with the ORF files.
  3. Select the folder with the ORF files so the folder is highlighted (not opened) and click "Select".
  4. Verify the folder path next to "Select Folder..." correlates to the folder that contains the ORF files.
  5. Click "Convert".

The process above converts Sony ARW files in the same folder but not Olympus ORF files from my TG-6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that the published list from Adobe indicates that the camera has been supported since version 11.3. I am as puzzled as you are, I'm afraid.

Annotation 2019-11-16 212209.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  I figured it was supported by now.  I also verified there is no new firmware for the TG-6.  Trying to convert files directly off the SD card yielded the same supported files error, so it's not a file copying issue.

Olympus' photo application was able to open and convert these files to JPGs (DNG not supported), but the user interface isn't worth the effort for white-balance post-processing.  I'll stick with shooting JPG files only.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this isn't going to help you much. I'm using Windows 10. I don't use the DNG converter hardly ever, so I don't keep it update to the current version. I went to update to version 12, and it wasn't listed, so I'm still stuck at version 11.3. I went to a website and downloaded sample ORF files from your camera model. I put the files in a folder and processed them in the "normal" processing manner using the DNG converter. The files processed and converted without any problems whatsoever. Consequently, I have no suggestions as to what you should do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I went searching and found DNG converter 12 and installed it. The first time I tried to convert those sample files I downloaded I got the same message you did that there were no files to convert. So I went into the options for the DNG converter and changed some of those options like to full-sized previews and fast load data and just played around with some of that stuff for a minute. Then I went back to the main screen and was able to convert the images. Then I went back to that options screen and changed all of the options back to the "default" settings and went back and tried converting again and DNG converter 12 still seems to work. Kind of weird, but it works. Don't ask me why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the record, I reinstalled DNG Converter.  It now converts my ORF files as it should. 

I suspect the fault was caused by an application installation error when macOS Security halted the installation and waited for administrator-level approval of the software developer.  This often requires restarting the application installation process but in this case the installation appeared to have completed successfully after approval was granted.

Thanks again for your helpful advice Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines