• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG converter for older versions of MAC OS?

Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm helping a friend who is happily using PS CS3 on a Mac with Lion or Lepard.  I'm a PC person so I'm not sure what those two names mean.  Anyway, he has a couple of newer cameras (a Sony and a Nikon) for which CS3 can't interpret the RAW files.  As I understand, Adobe is not providing support in CS3 for new RAW files and my friend does not want to upgrade to a later version of Photoshop CS or CC.  So, I suggested the free Adobe DNG converter. 

In looking at the Adobe specs on the DNG copnverter, it says that it requires Mac OS X 10.6 through 10.8.  So, two questions:

1)  Is OS X 10.6 tru 10.8 the same as Lion or Lepard (I suspect not)

2)  Is there an "older" version of the Adobe DNG converted I can have him download that is compatible with his OS and has (or can get) the code for recent cameras?

Thanks -- Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.5 is Leopard,10.6 is Snow Leopard, 10.7 is Lion, and 10.8 is Mountain Lion.

You should just ask him for the version number.  Once that is known, then you can decide what needs to be downloaded.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer the other part of your question, you can download older versions of the DNG Converter from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

The question is, though, what version of the DNG Converter is needed to handle the files. Since you didn’t specify the extract models of cameras, that is impossible to verify, yet.

You can look at this list of cameras and ACR version numbers to get an idea what the minimum DNG Converter download that would be needed to support them, and then check the system requirements of that particular DNGC version:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Finally, Adobe is still offering the PS-CCLR subscription for $10/month (in the US). It was supposed to expire on Dec 3rd, and then Dec 8th, but it’s still there, now without a specific expiration, but that doesn’t mean the offer won’t expire. $120/year for the PS-CCLR subscription is about as much as it used to cost to upgrade PS-non-extended every 18 months, so if your friend can afford $10/month they can have the latest PS and run it on up to two computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now without a specific expiration,

Current expiry date for the Photoshop Photography Package is Dec 31, 2013.

http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2013/11/photoshop-photography-program-adobe-creative-cloud/

I don't know why Adobe doesn't stop playing cat-and-mouse with the expiry date and make the offer permanent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers. The specific OS is MAC OS X vsn 10.6.8 so I'm

assuming the current version of the DNG converter (8.2) will run on it. The

cameras are Nikon D3200 and Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10. The Nikon is on the

list at the URL you provided but the Sony does not seem to be there yet.

So, let's just deal with the Nikon for now.

Am I correct that the current version of the DNG converter (8.2) is

compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.8, and that DNG files created from it will

open OK with the version of ACR that comes with CS3? I'm a bit hazy on

whether or not older versions of ACR will have trouble with newer versions

of DNG files.

Thanks -- Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely use the dng converter,but since it costs nothing to try, you can see if CS3's ACR can parse the 8.2 dng.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DNG Converter has compatibility options in the Preferences dialog.  If you have CS3, you should set your Compatibility popup menu option to "Camera Raw 4.6 and later".  Then the resulting DNGs will be able to be read in ACR 4.6 for CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines