Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter will not recognize NEF

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things I want to get out of the way first:

• YES I am only selecting a folder and not trying to open it.
  • NO I did not use ViewNX.

I wanted to edit NEF files, from my Nikon D5600, using Lightroom Classic CC, so when I tried importing the NEF files, I would get an error that read "Some import operations were not performed." When I googled the problem I read about converting the NEF Files into DNG files. So then I tried using the "Copy as DNG" tool in Lightroom while importing, and received the same error as before. Upon further googling and reading, I read about Adobe DNG Converter v8.8 and downloaded it from Adobe's website. But whenever tried to covert the files, I received an error that reads "The source folder does not contain any supported raw files."

The following is a list of the different methods that I tried using

• Copying the photos from the SD card, using a card reader, and then trying open the copies in Lightroom.
  • Using the NEF copies on my PC, trying to using the "Copy as DNG" tool in Lightroom.
  • Plugging my camera into my PC, via USB, and trying to make DNG copies on my PC, using the "Copy as DNG" tool in Lightroom during import.
  • Using the NEF copies on my PC and trying to convert them using DNG Converter.
  • Importing, rather than copying, directly from the camera onto my PC, then trying to convert the imported NEF file using DNG Converter.

I simply do not understand what I am doing wrong. I would greatly appreciate your help.

(As a foot note: I understand that I have mentioned having problems with both LightroomCC and DNG Converter. This is intentional and because I would also like to know I if a doing something wrong while using Lightroom. That being said, a similar discussion will be posted in the Lightroom Community.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in fact using Lightroom Classic CC, you shouldn't even have to convert to DNG unless you want to because the Nikon D5600 is fully supported. You should be able to import the NEF files directly or convert them to DNG using Lightroom itself. You shouldn't even need to DNG converter. Are you certain you are using Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A member from the Lightroom Community asked the same thing and it appears that I have made a mistake: I'm using LR CC 2015.7 (compatability for my camera was added in  v2015.8) and I have been calling it LR Classic CC. That same member also told me that if I were using Classic CC, I would need to use DNG Converter v9.8 or newer​ if I wanted to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have answered my own question! By using a newer version of DNG Converter, I can convert my NEF files and use the DNG files with my version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines