Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EOS R5 raw problem

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

EOS R5 cr3 files are very dark compared to the out of cam jpgs when I open them in Camera Raw. Its seems like about one or two apertures darker. I have to increase the lightning for about one or two stops and then noise appears quite way too heavy in the pictures.

Is this a known problem for Adobe or are there ways to fix this issue?

Best regards Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum, from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any information to this problem? Is anyone else suffering the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known 'issue' which should be fixed but the bottom line is, it doesn't really matter, the 'incorrect' initial preview has absolutely no bearing on the raw data quality, so just make a preset to up the 'exposure' (which isn't exposure, it's brightness) so the images look OK for the time being. IF your raws are optimally exposed, even if the previews appear darker than you desire, due to this 'issue', the exposure is optimal. Exposure can only take place at catpure from the results of aperture and shutter, the rendering thereafter, in any raw converter is just a preview you may or may not desire. But again, the dark appearing previews from some Canon's is a know bug and it should be fixed in the future. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but that doesnt help at all.

I take two pictures! One with the EOS R and one with the EOS R5. Manual settings equal to both cameras with a correct exposure. I open the R5 raw which is darker and open the R raw wich is fine.

When I brighten up the R5 until its correct lit I have a ton more noise then with the R raw.

Something is not right here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

r-r5.jpg

Here is a comparison shot from the R (with RF 35 1.8 IS) and R5 (RF 15-35 2.8 L IS).

I took the pictures in AV mode and !both! cameras decided to take !1/4000! for a !proper! exposure. I used f/2.8 and ISO 1000 to point out the noise problem.

To get a similar image I have to lighten the R5 raw +1 stop!!!

For me as a photographer the dynamic range is very important. So I turn down the lights and pop up the darks. For a fair comparison I upscaled the R image on the R5 size and cropped both to see better details. When I compare the upscaled image both camera show nearly the same noise. Since the R5 is a newer camera and the dynamic range should be awesome this result cannot be OK. The R5 should have a way better noise behaviour then the old R.

So my opinion is that there is a problem how the R5 Raw files are imported from Camera RAW and not shown correctly. Or there are deeper issues. Im not a technican or software developer. All I can say that I cannot work with the R5 files in Camera Raw because the image quality is crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In-camera processing already has noise reduction applied (and usually quite aggressively so). You can't compare until you've dialed up noise reduction in ACR to the same level.

As for "dark" images in ACR, this happens with all cameras. The one stop difference seems to be quite universal - I saw that with all my different Nikons over the years, and now on the Sony a7rIII as well.

The explanation isn't what you think. It's not really "darker". It's the camera manufacturers pushing the very same data further. Remember, to the camera manufacturers it's all about producing a "pleasing" image, or they lose business to the competition. So no doubt they look at each other.

ACR's default settings are intentionally conservative, the point is to preserve as much information as possible, the rest is up to you. It doesn't have to please anyone. The sensor data are exactly the same!

In other words, it's nothing to be concerned about, just something to keep in the back of your head when shooting. It's usually possible to increase exposure a bit more than the camera indicates. Just watch out for clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been perfuncting us. The technical staff's reply is that the Camera Standard Profile for Canon EOS R5 is being produced. The result is that half a year has passed. Nothing has changed. So. Is it necessary for us to continue to support Adobe genuine software. Or Everyone is going to apply capture one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is that it won't change. And it doesn't have to.

Again, it's not really darker. It's exactly the same sensor data, and what you see in ACR is a neutral representation of that data. It's the in-camera processing that pushes it and stretches the exposure as far as it can go. They do this for competitive purposes; the "brighter" image always wins in the store.

All the cameras I've ever had in my possession, Nikons and Sonys alike, have appeared about one stop darker in ACR than on the camera LCD/jpeg.

You can approach this two ways: one, it's a safeguard against blowing out highlights. Two, you can use this knowledge to increase exposure slightly from what the camera tells you. A linear-gamma raw capture puts more bits in the highlights than the shadows, so more exposure gives you a better quality file to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines