• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help: dng converter 12.1 doesn't run or show up on the list of installed program. what to do?

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) so i downloaded and installed ver. 12.1 from adobe site.

2) after installation, the .exe file was installed in the adobe dng converter folder along with three - .dll files.

3) however, i cannot launch the ,.exe file at all.

4) also, the program does not show up on the list of installed programs in the uninstall/change program window.

5) i am running win 10 ver 1909 which meets the system requirement,

the .exe and .dll files are dated 11/20/2019

the .exe file size is 103,818 kb. 

the .dll files sizes are 259, 124, and 88 kb.

any suggestions on what i can do are greatly appreciated.

NOTE:  after the program was installed on a fully charged surface pro tablet which has been inactive for 3 years, i updated the time and date.  i'm not sure if this may be the source of the issue.  so, i decided to update the tablet to ver 1909.  also, i believed i installed the program on a win ver below the required 1703

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Problem with Adobe DNG converter 12.1 is solved.

Adobe DNG Converter needs Microsoft Visual C++ instructions.
I downloaded:  Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015-2019.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

Choose Other tools and Framework

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Choose the next item:

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019
This package installs run-time components of Visual C++ libraries

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong with your installation, the .exe file should be 108 mb.

I have also noticed that there is no uninstaller, so I suggest that you download the installer again, maybe using a different browser/computer, and do a reinstall, which will overwrite the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thank you for the resply.

i had downloaded two installer files  from the download link within the adobe page below.   

both time, the application file showed 103,818 kb dated 11/20/2019.  all three .dll files showed the same date.  if you are using ver. 12.1, can you reconfirm the file size and date; is it 104 mb or 108 mb?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#downloads

unfortunately, all of my remaining computers are running win 7.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 12.0 on Windows 10, but the .exe file for 12.1 should have a similar file size.

According to the download page, the download should be 446 MB. Did you get that?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi berntsen, thank you very much for your effort.

yes, both downloaded installer files were 446 mb.  both installations yielded similar files sizes as shown below. 

also, just to be sure the 2nd installer had overwritten the existing files, i renamed the initial folder.

20200206_230045-01.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i noticed that windows updater will not perform any updates when the time and date on the computer aren't correct.

i'm suspecting that there may be a mismatch of time and date of the bios or internal cmos clock and windows.  

however, there aren't any options to access thebios time and date on a surface pro 3 tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, i don't suppose ver 12 support the nikon z6 and z7 raw files?

just for curiosity, i wanted to check if ver. 12 would run.  

but i cannot locate the archive adobe page for older version.

my email is tntcorp@live.com should you can email me a copy of ver. 12.

thank you for your efforts and time.. 🙏🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are lucky, tried installing it on my MSI  laptop running 8.1 windows and it won.t budge. Can not even install it. Comes up with  the msg that something is missing or file incomplete, didn't catch a screenshot but I will download the file again and try it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monsterfg -

ver. 12.1 cannot run on win 8.1.  you need to go to a lower version. i can use version 12 but unfortunately i don't know where of if adobe keeps a library of older version.   and i don't recommend downloading from 3rd party web site, no matter how tempting it may be, unless you know it is a reputable site.

ver. 12.1 is for  win 7 with service pack 1 OR win 10 ver 1703 or higher (both operating system required 64 and not 32  bits) .  this is the system requirements from the adobe page below:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6811

your problem just got s bit less complicated than min . - goid luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows that the .exe file is 103,818 KB, which is equivalent to a little over 101 MB.

You can download older versions of the DNG converter from this page:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

The Nikon Z6 and Z7 are both supported in version 12.0.

The oldest version that supports both cameras is 11.1.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh.. thank you very much Berntsen  sir for the link.  

i 've been searching for the past 2 days without any success.  

i will download both ver. 12.0 and 11.1 to see if it can run on my tablet.

i'm greatly appreciative of your help.  i hope i can pass your help forward.. 🙏🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does DNG Converter work in the meantime?? 
And how did you fix it??
I have exactly the same problem. Even the printscreens are similar with the same wrong date.
I need 12.1 for my new Olympus OMD M5 mark 3 to convert the ORF RAW files into DNG .
Downloading the DNG converter was succesfull on windows 10. But after that it is impossible to open the program and it doesn't run. Also it isn't listed in the installed programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwv, 

1)  i used the support link provided by berntsen above to download ver. 12.0 and ver 11.4.1.

2)  i had the same issue with ver. 12.0

3)  i was able to install and and launch ver. 11.4.1, but i do not have a file to convert.

i will test ver. 11.4.1 later today and post the result tomorrow.

i'm running win 10 ver. 1909.  which version of window are you running?  you do realize only win 7 service pack 1 OR win 10 ver. 1703 (or higher) is required for the converter ver. 12.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello sir - 

if i may ask, which version of win 10 are you running?

i updated my tablet to win 10 to ver 1909.

however, i still experienced similar issue with the dng converter ver. 12.0

but i was able to launch the converter ver. 11.4.1.  i didn't have an .nef file on the tablet to check the converter immediately.

however, ver.  11.4.1 is still a suspect to me.  When i select the "about dng converter" button, an error window popup and closed out the converter app.  

i will download all remaining version up to 11.1 to see which version will also work with the ver. 1909 of win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with Adobe DNG converter 12.1 is solved.

Adobe DNG Converter needs Microsoft Visual C++ instructions.
I downloaded:  Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015-2019.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

Choose Other tools and Framework

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Choose the next item:

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019
This package installs run-time components of Visual C++ libraries and can be used to run such applications on a computer even if it does not have Visual Studio 2019 installed.   x64   (Special for Windows 10 64 bits)

Close the PC, and start up again, and reinstall the DNG converter 12.1
Close and start up an other time.
After that is was working here.

In this community this problem is earlier mentioned and described as "Not able to open DNG Converter 10_2 after install "
The only difference is: I used now a higher version redistributable 2015-2019 (X64) -14.24.28127 

Thanks for all your helps and answers.
I hope this will help you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jwv - your finding came out just in time for the release of ver. 12.2

thank you for the information.  so, it made me wonder if the missing runtime instruction is windows or adobe fault?

i was able to use ver. 11.4.1 to convert my library of nikon raws into dng format.  thanks to "berntsen" for providing the link to the library of archived converters.

i will download the run time instructions from the link you provided.  

btw, i don't think the installed converter will show up in the list of installed programs.  it appears adobe does not want to make it easy to uninstall the converter.

thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines