• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do import a file back to LR with the XMP settings?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i had to clean my computer but when i try to import the files to Lightroom again i only have the unedited raw, the XMP file is in the storage folder on my HDD but i cant work out how to apply/Import the saved settings?

Please Help

Thank you

JR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on the photo. Then there is an option, Metadata->read metadata from the file. Or, you can highlight all the images, then in the Photo menu choose the option to read metadata from file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jim,

Side question: would this also import the XMP files or just transfer the data into LR's library? How would one transfer the data into the same folder? I suppose one could manually drag it in the OS but I'm not fully sure how LR would react to that. (I always convert to DNGs to avoid this whole issue.)

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else will have to answer that question. I don't use XMP files, and I normally don't convert to DNG. I just rely on the catalog to store the settings. A little too simplistic, perhaps. But it works for me. However, my understanding is that reading metadata from the file will store that information in the catalog and then subsequent adjustments will be added to the catalog. If you want to have that additional information written to the XMP file you will have to choose to do so from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, thanks Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jim, at first it seemed it wasn't working but when i hit the develop tab all the life seemed to appear back into my photos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines