• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove Camera Raw from installed apps?

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed Creative Cloud, Camera Raw appears as an installed software (but I never installed it). Is there a way to remove it's card from the Installed category from Creative Cloud?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Camera Raw gets installed as a plug-in with any Creative Cloud application you install, that can open Raw files. So if you installed applications like Photoshop, After Effects, etc., Camera Raw would get installed automatically. 

You can uninstall Camera Raw using the Creative Cloud cleaner tool. Please follow the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not an expert but i got really fed up with this pesky camera raw so I found a way to delete it

go to  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi.

and delete that stupid plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all sure why you label ACR as stupid nor why you want to uninstall it. I am fairly certain that most of us here consider it to be amongst the most useful pieces of software in any photographer's arsenal. I for one would find it very difficult to live without!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you are a photographer and it makes sense for you. Not everyone works with original photographs and has a need for it. Like Grace5CB7, I'm just annoyed it mysteriously appeared without explanation and now wants to be updated. I don't want it, don't need it (as far as I know) and now it wants attention?  I don't think so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologise if you feel that I have spoken down to you. I was simply very surprised at your reaction to the installation of ACR. I'm afraid that it is part of the package and whether you use it or not, it is not going to hurt you at all. A bit like buying a car and being taken by surprise that an engine is included!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a bad example, everybody needs the engine, but few people needs the photography plugin. You say it's not gonna hurt you at all, but this thing takes more than 1Go space, and as previous commentor mentionned, it's asking him for update.

In the world of sotfware, this is clearly considered as "hurting" the user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all sure from where you get the notion that few people need the ACR plugin. Every photographer I know who uses Adobe software would argue that ACR is top of the essentials list. Anyway, it's part of the package so live with it and ignore it if you don't use it. Bet your car has plenty of features you don't use but you didn't rip out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt matter what you think or anything about what the program is. The question was how do I remove it. Not about how you feel about it. He wasnt bashing your special little progam, he didnt wont it, and it is his computer and no one can tell him what must be on there.

@Grace5CB7 Thanks, work first try auto updater and also no longer seeing it in the adobe suite clients

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This solution works! Now I can open any image file from Windows and that image will open and be editable in Photoshop without any confusing, complicated, bloated popups that interrupt my workflow and force me to use / learn something new to me called Camera Raw or Lightroom. I wish this were an official toggle in Photoshop, but a solution is a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, as has already been explained here. All it takes is to disable jpeg support and/or TIFF support in Camera Raw preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I can open any image file from Windows and that image will open and be editable in Photoshop without any confusing, complicated, bloated popups that interrupt my workflow and force me to use / learn something new to me called Camera Raw or Lightroom. I wish this were an official toggle in Photoshop, but a solution is a solution!

By @defaulttdxem683sxxf

There IS an official toggle in the preferences that ARE accessible directly in Photoshop proper as well as ACR.

Photoshop prefs for ACRPhotoshop prefs for ACR

I'm afraid you must learn to use the product(S) since no one here, no one, was born with the knowledge to use them. We all had to RTFM (including instructions provided here). 

"Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. "-Abigail Adams

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you have Camera Raw preferences set to open jpegs through ACR. Check "disable jpeg support" and you will never see ACR again if you don't want to.

If that's not it, I have to agree that this is the strangest request I've seen in a long time...why is this essential component in the Photoshop ecosystem so offending?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw is just a plug-in. If you are using Photoshop, and install updates on a regular basis, Camera Raw is going to be installed. It isn't hurting anything, and it isn't taking up that much space on your hard drive. Don't worry about it. Just leave it alone. It isn't doing anything to hurt you, and it isn't worth chasing down to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with a sync error that tells me to install a missing synchronisation component. Camera Raw is the only application that is in my account. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem?

I posted about it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services-discussions/can-t-sync-error-198-install-sync...

Would love your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera RAW is not an application, its a plug in to other applications to allow them to open RAW files from a digital camera. Synch is part of Creative Cloud for libraries and downloaded plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines