How to undo a batch rename that was done to raw files on a memory card :(

I know what you're thinking and you are right, I'm an idiot. So I took some senior photos for my niece and was editing in adobe bridge and yes, I did a batch rename to a lot of photos in their raw format on the memory card. All of the thumbnails are now black and say "exec" in bright green:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.22.37 PM.png

When I double click on a thumbnail I get this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.18.47 PM.png

Please tell me they're not lost!! Thank you!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

How to undo a batch rename that was done to raw files on a memory card :(

I know what you're thinking and you are right, I'm an idiot. So I took some senior photos for my niece and was editing in adobe bridge and yes, I did a batch rename to a lot of photos in their raw format on the memory card. All of the thumbnails are now black and say "exec" in bright green:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.22.37 PM.png

When I double click on a thumbnail I get this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.18.47 PM.png

Please tell me they're not lost!! Thank you!

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
Correct Answer by gener7
Adobe Community Professional
| Adobe Community Professional

And I see exactly what went wrong. I own a Macbook.

If for example your raws are from a Nikon camera, the file extension is .nef  DSC0000.nef for example.

Remove the .nef, OSX does not know what it is and gives you that exec thumbnail and also can't find what program opens it.

Solution: rename the file with the proper extension and you will see your raws again. Unharmed.

Gene

1 Reply

Re: How to undo a batch rename that was done to raw files on a memory card :(

Adobe Community Professional, Dec 10, 2016

And I see exactly what went wrong. I own a Macbook.

If for example your raws are from a Nikon camera, the file extension is .nef  DSC0000.nef for example.

Remove the .nef, OSX does not know what it is and gives you that exec thumbnail and also can't find what program opens it.

Solution: rename the file with the proper extension and you will see your raws again. Unharmed.

Gene

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines