• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to disable scrubby zoom in latest camera raw?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like selection zoom has been removed entirely. I mean, seriously? Whose bright idea was this? I HATE scrubby zoom, and don't want to be forced to use it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know who's bright idea it was, but I won't name names here. Sorry it inpires your hatred. (Some people do like it, just so you know.)

You don't have to use if if you don't like it. On the General Preferences panel turn on "Use Lightroom Style Pan and Zoom." In that mode you will need to hold down a modifier key to use scrubby zoom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, I don't want Lightroom style zoom. I rarely use Lightroom. I want the normal zoom with the selection box. There was seriously no remotely rational reason to remove this feature.

Edit: Never mind, I see now. One has to hold down control to enable the selection box. I wish there had been some kind of hint or tip, because it was never like that before. Crisis averted I guess. On a more positive note, I actually like the new UI a lot, I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a some more tips to avoid accidentally using scrubby zoom if you don't like it.

If you are using a Windows PC with a touchpad or a Mac with a trackpad you can use two fingers to pan your photo horizontally and vertically--no clicking so therefore no accidental scrubby zoom.

When the scrubby zoom tool is enabled ("Use Lightroom Style Pan and Zoom" is off), you can disable it a few ways:
1. Tap the 'h' key to change the cursor from zoom to the hand (pan) tool.

2. Click on the hand tool near the bottom of the tool bar on the right side of Camera Raw (same effect as tapping the h key to toggle the hand tool on and off).

3. Hold down the space bar. The cusror will change from the zoom tool to the hand tool while you hold down the space bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hold down the Ctrl key I can draw a box but it does not zoom into the area within the box.  PLEASE change the zoom option to its previous format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but it's only like 25% of what I need.

Like what David199 said, it doesn't zoom to the spot I want. Ideally using CTRL, I would be able to center on the selection.

The better choice would be to allow us to disable scrubby zoom and bring back the old feature.

------

Rant below, please don't read if you're a product manager, you won't appreciate it and you'll take it personally.

------

Honestly, I understand the product manager's choice to combine Lightroom's mobile device feeling simplicty with Adobe Camera Raw, it makes for an easier product to manage and then the experience is similar.  However, the basis for that thesis is entirely incorrect.  Adobe Camera Raw is what people use to make a living.  The reasong being that they don't want all the bells and whistles that detract from UI performance.  Performance for ACR has admittedly sucked since CS6, like the interface freezes all the time.  I also work in IT so I get the newest systems (Windows and Mac OS, from user systems to Xeons) which I can test ACR performance.  On SSDs, I still will see the UI freeze up when working with even a single file.

Another subpar performance indicator is that in the most recent version of ACR, I'm exporting about ~2,300 raws>jpegs and sure, I'm on a 5 year old i7-7700K CPU, but there was no discernible performance difference using half the cores vs using all the cores.  In fact, using all the cores required me to increase the processor voltage on my system, bump the fans at a constant high rate just so it wouldn't freeze.  Using Half my cores allowed me to:

• export the files in the same amount of time
  • watch a movie in my computer w/o it stuttering
  • browse the internet 
  • play streaming music without stuttering
  • use my computer w/o fear of crashing
  • reduce the fan speed on my system

But back to Zoom behavior within ACR.  Left clicking in zoom mode doesn't zoom, it switches between Fit and a prescribed zoom level.

If we're retouching this is exceptionally infuriating because we sometimes need to zoom in additionally.  When we, retouchers, or photographers working as retouchers on our own work, are using the blemish tools, we sometimes need to work w/ hair, or something on a necklace, or something on skin that sits in between shadows.

We have to zoom in really tight, move w/ the hand tool, but maybe we might want to increment out on the zoom to see the bigger picture.  What used to be done w/ keyboard alone to adjust the way the mouse works, now requires utilizing the interface to zoom out. 

And no, my desktop doesn't have a touch pad and it will never have a touch pad since I'm working on a desktop.

The product managers need to spend time to learn best practices on:

• how to photograph people
  • how to remove blemishes
  • how to fix fly away hairs
  • how to fix wrinkles
  • how to fix eye bags
  • how to fix skin texture
  • how to shoot landscapes
  • how to remove fences
  • how to remove objects (cars, people, things) from complex scenes

all within ACR.  If there's a better way of doing things that requires less movement, then we're all ears, but there needs to be a dedicated youtube tutorial in your tool tips.  

Your users are stuck with product changes that have no usable documentation and the why of why something was implemented.  It's like when executive management decided to charge Australian customers of Adobe Cloud double w/ no reasoning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The better choice would be to allow us to disable scrubby zoom and bring back the old feature.

Rather than resurrect a years old post, do this instead, get upvotes:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another problem. On the previous version of ACR, on a Mac while using the spot removal tool, holding down the Option key and using the scroll wheel would zoom in and out without having to select the zoom tool. This functionality is lost in the ACR 12.3.

Now the scroll wheel just changes the brush size, regardless if the option key is pressed or not.

Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same feelings about the new ACR. The scroll wheel just changing the brush size is very frustrating. Makes it much harder to zoom in and out of the image as needed. I am also having problems with the zoom method changing to scrubby zoom at random, even with "Use lightroom pan and zoom" selected in the menu. Please fix these issues in the next update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not work for Adobe. I have no connections with the company whatsoever. I do know that the complaints of MANY users has been heard about the latest Camera Raw, and Adobe is working on a fix of one sort or another. What that entails, I do not know. In the meantime, the only choices are to endure Camera Raw 12.3 or revert to the previous version. If you choose to revert, here is the link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but now Bridge won't open images in ACR at all. Command+R does nothing, and the menu opiton for "Open in Camera Raw" is grayed out. I can open an image in photoshop, and ACR 12.2 comes up, but for some reason Bridge isn't recognizing that the older version of ACR is installed. Ugh. What a mess. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to go to the Creative Cloud Application Manager and locate Bridge. Click on the "..." and choose to uninstall the current version. Then choose to install the "most recent" older version. That should synchronize Bridge and Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted. So are you saying that ACR 12.2 doesn't work at all with Bridge 10.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can tell you is, apparently not. I'm sticking with the latest Camera Raw because I don't use it that much and I can tolerate it as it is. I know, it's different. But I don't use it that much so it doesn't bother me. But I have seen reports from others that it was necessary for them to drop back to previous versions of Bridge, and that's really all I know. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, one was never able to disable scrubby sliders/zoom?  

"I wish there had been some kind of hint or tip, because it was never like that before."

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2020/06/acrv12-3.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to zoom issue, other really annoying changes for me;

- Zooming out using the cursor used to do zoom out in stages, now it zooms to the whole window.

- Creating a new adjustment brush should reset all the values to zero. 

- Bring back the + and - to either size of each value for quick increases and decreases

- Scrolling the mouse wheel should move the film strip along to the right, currently you have to click and slide the slider

- Can't zoom at all when using adjustment brush or spot removal, can only pan by holding the space bar.  You have to switch back to the edit tab in order to zoom which is crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly not sure that whoever is in charge of making changes to Camera RAW has ever actually used the program. Why remove useful features? They've fixed a couple issues on the latest update, but a lot of the old functionality is still gone. Hopefully the old version doesn't stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why remove useful features?"

Why are you asking end users, in a user to user support forum a question they cannot answer? 

You want to address or ask Adobe? It's done here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good point, but I'm not hopeful that the comments get heard. I've just rolled back to the previous version of Camera Raw, Bridge and Photoshop and will wait it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not getting heard here to affect any changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's actually no option to make comments on Camera Raw on that wishform link...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do so through the Photoshop team and the option there! 

There's no option HERE to comment to the Photoshop or ACR Team; this is AGAIN, a forum for users, staffed by users for support. You rolled back, that's all you can do here. Had you been unaware HOW to roll back to the last version, we could have assisted you in that goal. 

There is also this post and site you can go to:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/camera-raw-12-3-how-to-revert-ui-to-older-ver...

Official Adobe reply about the NEW UI:

"At this time, Adobe is not planning to revert the UI to the 12.2.1 state nor are there plans to offer both interfaces as an option in the future. That said, we are determined to fix bugs and improve workflows within the new user interface."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't so much "asking end users questions they cannot answer," as it was commiserating with others having the same issues. As you posted, Adobe doesn't plan to change it back, but there is at least some catharsis in seeing that other users are dealing with the same frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It wasn't so much "asking end users questions they cannot answer,"

That's the role of THESE forums; user to user support. 

Do you have a support question for other users here? If not, move on. 

There is no support here for your frustrations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet again, I had to roll back to Camera Raw 10.5.  The CTRL-Zoom option just draws a dashed box around the selection, it doesn't actually zoom.  The new zoom method makes no sense to me.  Also, generally speaking, the layout of the new Camera RAW was a completely unnecessary change.  Yes, I could probably get used to the new environment, but why should I?  It seems that everytime Adobe pushes out an update, my workflow grinds to a halt while I relearn how to do the tasks that I've been doing for 15+ years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines