• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inverting col neg to positive in latest acr

Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does anyone have a good ACR preset  to convert scanned col negatives to positives?
i know it's basically flipping the curve (dragging the white and black points down/up) and I could save that as a preset. But there are other adjustments, like the col cast that would be good to have included... plus all other sliders (except contrast) work in the opposite direction so its difficult to add other presets on top

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

The best way to invert color negatives is by using a Curves adjustment layer in Photoshop.

The Color Negative (RGB) preset will invert the colors, and also compensate for the orange mask.

It does a reasonably good job most of the time, and you can tweak the colors by editing the individual channels, and adjust brightness and contrast with the RGB (black) curve.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to invert color negatives is by using a Curves adjustment layer in Photoshop.

The Color Negative (RGB) preset will invert the colors, and also compensate for the orange mask.

It does a reasonably good job most of the time, and you can tweak the colors by editing the individual channels, and adjust brightness and contrast with the RGB (black) curve.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know but I like to process all my raw files (the col neg scans are .dng)  in ACR first before saving them as tifs and opening them in Ps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the files come from a scanner, or from a digital camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanner
I believe the guy doing them is using Vuescan. I’ll see if it has an Invert setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how these scans have become DNG files, but it's possible that Vuescan can save DNG.

I always save my scans as 16-bit Tiff, and make sure that I have captured all the information in the negative - no clipped shadows, and no clipped highlights. This is as good as any raw file from a camera.

Although Vuescan may be able to save DNG files, they won't be raw files like those from a camera.

Also, in my experience, it's difficult to get good results inverting color negative scans in Vuescan.

I suggest that you open the DNG files in Photoshop from ACR without doing any editing, and save them as 16-bit Tiffs.

Then invert the image using the Color Negative preset on an adjustment layer, making sure that there is no clipping in shadows or highlights. It doesn't matter if the image lacks contrast, but try to get the colors as good as you can.

Now the image has to be flattened, otherwise you'll se a negative image in the ACR filter later.

Duplicate the Background layer, then convert the new layer to a smart object. (right click the layer to do this)

With the new layer selected, go to Filter > Camera raw filter. When you've finished editing, click OK.

The edits will be saved in the smart object, and you can go back to the ACR filter anytime by double-clicking Camera Raw Filter in the Layers panel.

image.png

If you use Lightroom Classic instead of ACR, this will be much easier.

You would then simply import the image in LRC after inverting in PS, with no need to flatten the image, and no need for a smart object.

There is an option in the ACR preferences to open all Tiffs in ACR, but I couldn't get it to work.

Since I use Lightroom, I only have limited experience with ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this info
F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this program. It looks interesting.  I haven't tried it yet, but thinking of doing so.

https://www.negativelabpro.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vuescan does have the capability to create DNG files. But it also has the capability to convert negative images into positive during the scanning process. When I scan negatives I use that process using Vuescan, and it works very well. I wonder why the user didn't do that in this instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, I've passed the message/info on to the scanning person.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I passed this info on and the reply was that yes, he can scan the col negs as positives but then doesnt have the option to save them as dng, only as tifs. I'm ok to get positive tifs (even though I'd have preferred dng) but just curious if that's your vuescan workflow too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is my workflow. Frankly, I don't think the DNG file generated byVuescan offers any advantage over a 16 bit TIF file. At least that has been my experience. If the DNG file isn't coming from a true raw source in the first place my opinion is that the TIF file is just as good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines