Latest DNG converter not working in command-line mode

Today I downloaded Adobe's latest DNG converter. It is failing with both .NEF and .CR2 files when run in command-line mode. It does appear to work in GUI mode. The switches+arguments I've used for my tests are:

-u -e -p1 filename.CR2

(or filename.NEF)

With an older (CS2) version of the converter, the above arguments produce a .DNG output file as expected (with .CR2 files; I didn't try it with D3 .NEF files; surely that older version doesn't support the D3's format).

With the very latest version, running the program with the above command produces no output. There's no error message.

The 'readme' file that comes with the converter doesn't include any information about command-line usage, but I did find a PDF file covering this (adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_commandline.pdf). The switches+arguments shown in the PDF file appear to be exactly the ones I used in the past.

I'm sure I'll need to use the most recent version to convert D3 RAW files. Is there something wrong with how I'm specifying its command-line switches/arguments?

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Latest DNG converter not working in command-line mode

Today I downloaded Adobe's latest DNG converter. It is failing with both .NEF and .CR2 files when run in command-line mode. It does appear to work in GUI mode. The switches+arguments I've used for my tests are:

-u -e -p1 filename.CR2

(or filename.NEF)

With an older (CS2) version of the converter, the above arguments produce a .DNG output file as expected (with .CR2 files; I didn't try it with D3 .NEF files; surely that older version doesn't support the D3's format).

With the very latest version, running the program with the above command produces no output. There's no error message.

The 'readme' file that comes with the converter doesn't include any information about command-line usage, but I did find a PDF file covering this (adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_commandline.pdf). The switches+arguments shown in the PDF file appear to be exactly the ones I used in the past.

I'm sure I'll need to use the most recent version to convert D3 RAW files. Is there something wrong with how I'm specifying its command-line switches/arguments?

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
22 Replies

Re: Latest DNG converter not working in command-line mode

Is there anyone from Adobe who might have the time to respond to this question? Given the command-line switches and arguments shown in the previous message, does it look as if I am giving the commands incorrectly?
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Macintosh or Windows? What command line shell are you using?
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

> Macintosh or Windows? What command line shell are you using?

I'm running the converter under Windows XP service pack 2.

After seeing your reply I realized I had not tried running the program in a cmd.exe console window -- I'd been using only the 4NT version 5 command shell (meaning JP Software's command shell product 4nt.exe). For this latest attempt, I used both shells. The arguments/switches were:

-u -e -p1 -o _MG_0972.CR2 _MG_0972.dng

This time I added an explicit switch/arg for the output file to see if that would make any difference.

Result in both the cmd.exe shell and the 4NT shell:

I got output with the DNG converter that was released at about the time Photoshop CS2 was released, but no output with the one I downloaded most recently from Adobe's web site.

Variations: 1) omitted "-o filename" -- same results. 2) omitted "-o" and used "*.cr2" for the input filename; in that case neither converter version produced output; 3) omitted "-o" and used ".\" for the input file, in case the converter would accept that for "all raw files in the current directory" -- again neither converter version produced any output.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Try typing a full path to the file and see what happens.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Recent version of the DNG Converter for Windows have required full path names in command line mode (rather than allowing paths relative to the working directory). I have just fixed this in the code and the fix will appear in the next release (5.2).
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines