• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lens corrections in dng

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am shooting with sony A7r II and currently convert all my ARW files to DNG using Adobe DNG converter. 

Can someone please clarify the following? 

1. Are lens corrections written into the original ARW files carried over to the DNG? 

2. For known lenses to Adobe, will the corrections be automatically applied to the DNG files created? 

3. For lenses not known to Adobe, will the manufacturer profile from the ARW files be applied if available?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use a Nikon Z7, which also applies lens corrections to raw files in the camera.

I also routinely convert the raw files to DNG, and the built-in lens profiles are still applied.

The DNG conversion doesn't change anything in the image data, it's just a different wrapper.

Apart from one 24-70 Z lens designed for the camera, I use a Nikon F 70-200 lens with the FTZ adapter.

The camera identifies this lens, and does corrections in the camera the same way as with the Z lens.

I also have a Sigma 14-24, and with this lens I have to apply lens corrections myself. (by checking the box)

As long as the lens corrections are done in the camera, it doesn't really matter if the lens is known to Adobe or not – the corrections will be applied.

But if the lens is not known to the camera, it will not apply a lens profile, and if the lens is not known to Adobe either, no lens corrections profile will be available for the lens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines