• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert UI to older Camera Raw UI (12.2.1) after Interface Changes

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after updating photoshop , when i opened it for the first time there was option to use camera raw as it is (vertical film) or to change it to new UI (with new look and horizontal filmstrip ), i just clicked new UI to see how it looks , i thought if i dont like it i will just go back to using older UI but there is no option to select older UI , i contacted adobe but person who was helping me just suggested that i should install older version of camera raw or ask for help from this forum , i found it bit frustrating that if there was simple option to choose new UI so why not give option to revert back to older UI with newly updated software. maybe its bug or adobe forcing people to use new UI even if they dont like it

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
If you want to refer to 12.2.1, you can do so here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
788 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find *any* confirmation that you and Julieanne Kost have 'taught together at many workshops', Andrew, but I didn't spend a lot of time searching because it's not relevant to this subject. 

You may know her but that does not mean you know how or what she thinks.  She's not going to disagree with Adobe as long as she continues to cash paychecks from them and she doesn't fit the profile of the sort of photographers who have been complaining about 12.3 in this forum.  

Do I need to jog your memory about what sort of photographers I mean? 

I qualified my comment about her by saying that ''I'm *fairly* certain she would have the same complaints about the product as its detractors here do'  Do you understand what a qualifying adverb is?  'Fairly' here qualifies the adjective 'certain'.  

Either way, you never cease to amaze me how desperately you're trying to prove what an Adobe expert you are to us here on this forum as if that made a difference in our opinion as to what a botched job Adobe's engineers - or, more likely, its marketing department, have done with ACR 12.3. 

You continue to butt in as if we should just accept the change because you're okay with it.  Why you think your opinion is of any value to other users is a riddle.  If you drove cars for a living, do you think that your experience chauffeuring celebrities through Hollywood would be of any value to Formula One race car drivers? 

Either way, except for this post, I have no plans to acknowledge any further communications from you.  I'd be much appreciative (that means 'thankful') if you'd keep them out of my threads.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've met and know her? Tell us based on your experience why you are so certain. 
Your inability to answer a question speak volumes; I don't find *any* confirmation that you and Julieanne Kost have met. Of course you haven't met or know her, no experience and no reason to be certain. 

When in a deep hole of your own digging filled with speculation and assumptions, stop digging and do the smart thing, don't acknowledge any further communication.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Lucian. Inspired by your lead I'll apply the same "virual block" to the same antagonist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everything "BikerChad" has to say. It is an awful interface and the lack of contrast makes it difficult for my eyes. Evidently you can't rearrange how things are organized. I am trying to reinstall the old one. This just awful.  I have a workflow I was perfectly happy with. It has also lost my lens profile settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am trying to reinstall the old one."

ALL anyone here can do is assist you in that goal. This is a User to User forum designed for aiding users. 

Installers for ACR can be found here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

You'll need to downgrade to the last version of Bridge using the CC app, click on the three dots and select "Other Versions".
That's about all we can do for you here. 

This is a user to user support forum so you're not being as effective addessing your concens.
You should go here to express opinions about the new build:
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system just automatically upgraded to a new ACR version which has a new UI.  I tried to get used to this, but just can't.  It is more cluttered and requires more clicks.   

:rant on
How, on earth could Adobe think this is an improvement ?   And why are they spending my monthly fee and wasting my time, on re-arranging and re-naming things in the UI ?  Time is precious !  At the very very least, when they roll out new UI changes that could disrupt user workflows, they should have a quick option available to revert back.
:rant off

At any rate,... I looked for a way to revert to the old UI, no luck.  Can anyone help ?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Erik.

Yes, I did this, and it caused Bridge to stop working.   I had to downgrade Bridge as well.   I guess I'm going to be stuck at these old levels, unless Adobe provide an option to revert to the old ACR UI.

Sigh,... I really hope Adobe focus on what their users are really doing, and stop providing mandatory UI changes that cause significant and irreparable damage to pro users workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list. Upgraded Bridge and ACR to the newest version and discovered the horrible, lightroom type interface. Tried giving it a try but I've got work to do and this interface is a roadblock to my workflow. Researched and discovered how to revert back to ACR 12.2.1 and rolled Bridge back to 10.0.4 and it's back to the Bridge and ACR interface I've known and loved for years.

If I wanted to use lightroom for everyday editing I would. Adobe offers Bridge which I've been using for years. If you don't want users using Bridge, this is a sure way to kill it. Not sure Adobe really reads these replies or even cares, they'll do what they want and the subscription money keeps rolling in. But it chips away at the way I feel about Adobe products. Would I recommend them to a friend? Not really because you can't depend on the updates working the way you are used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The decision has been made and the old UI is not coming back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installers for ACR can be found here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

You'll need to downgrade to the last version of Bridge using the CC app, click on the three dots and select "Other Versions".

That's about all we can do for you here. 

This is a user to user support forum so you're not being as effective addessing your concens.
You should go here to express opinions about the new build:
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das wäre ein Kündigungsgrund für das Abo!

Ich warte das nächste Update ab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to turn off automatic updates, don't update Photoshop because it will update Camera Raw. You will not be able to get support for new cameras or have any new features in either Photoshop or Camera Raw from this point on. When you purchase a new camera that isn't supported you can resort to the DNG converter. Those are the choices that you will have to make by staying with the older Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedigitaldog -> in the link you sent, there is no product drop down for 'Adobe Camera Raw'.   Any suggestions on which product I use to post my feedback ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Photoshop for feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new ACR level was installed automatically, and it came with a new UI.    I tried like the dickens to get used to the new UI, but gave up after a week of trying.  Put simply : it is more cluttered, and requires significantly more mouse clicks to get things done.  There are many examples, but I'll list two of them : no quick + or - entry for fast (and repeatable) brush settings.   Common adjustments no longer fit on my laptop screen, so I'm constantly scrolling up and down, just to change a setting.   

When you are trying to get 100s/1000s of images processed for a deadline this is significant.    And, adobe : when you have hoards of users dependent on a workflow, it is just DOWNRIGHT IRRESPONSIBLE to automatically install a new UI that dramatically changes their flow and is more complex.   I'm a software developer, and would never dream of automatically installing such an imposing change to workflow without an option to revert.  It's one thing if it is was just different - but still simple in its own way.  But in this case, it is not only different, but also significantly more complex (and yes, I've spent the time going through the online instructions that describe it).

Please provide an option to revert to the old UI.  And, please, in the future, whenever making significant changes to workflow, provide an option to revert, and a fair warning before any install.

And finally, a rant : it disturbs me greatly that at least some portion of my monthly fees are going towards you re-arranging, and renaming elements of the UI, as opposed to _true_ advancements in image processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful when you use previous version of Bridge and ACR (because you reinstalled normal version of ACR you must downgrade Bridge). I am frequently losing part of my work because they freeze. To avoid it I click export to xmp many times during the job so when it freezes I don't have most changes lost. (sometimes I forget to do this and loose everything). But it is better and faster than using new weird lightroom-copy ACRs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real cute, Adobe CAMERA RAW is not even listed at 
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html.  The new Camera Raw interface is the WORST I have seen in my 37 years working with computers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then neither will I this will be the last time I renew my subscription.  Me, my company and employees with be moving on.  There should have been a way to keep the old interface built in.  Adobe apparently DOES NOT care about user input.  Not everyone uses Lightroom which itself is an awful program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR 12.4 is perhaps the worst update of software I have experienced, with the possible exception of windows 8.  That may sound like hyperbole, but it took a product that has been a mainstay of the photographic community for 15+ years and made it arguably unusable.  I'll give one singular example of a change that encompasses the design philosophy - panning.  On my Mac, I previously panned using the Magic Mouse, which was the way it works in literally every other program.  Now, it pans until a tool is selected, then it changes to altering the size of the brush, and to pan, I have to jump to the hand, then slowly inch my way across the image, then go back to the tool.  I am at a loss as to how could have thought that was a good change.  What's more, that you didn't even include an option for the user to control their tool response is beyond stupid.  And that is just the tip of the iceberg.  Terrible decision making on Adobe's part.  I will revert to the old version, but there will be a point when that workaround is not sufficient.  I have started looking for new software to break Adobe's monopoly, because they have shown they are not a reliable partner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always preferred ACR over third-party RAW processor interfaces... but no more; the new ACR interface is hideous, and the promise that I could switch back to the old inteface (shown when asking which I wanted) seems to have been a lie.

Time to look at the third-party options once more. Thanks for nothing, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rants won't help restore sanity in ACR, but they do help other users see that the problem is real. I'm going to switch away from ACR now; I stayed with it because I preferred the interface to third party options, but now? Buh-bye ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy,you can download camer raw 12.2.1 from the adobe camera-raw site
an install this. The you can work without problems with camera raw.
Camera raw 12.3 then is deinstalled. Ihope this can solve your problem
Greetings Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate