• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New "Enhance Details..." AI fetaure - errors, artifacts

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just quickly tried out the new Enhance Details... feature in ACR on some Fuji X100T files with some detailed photos I had around.

With very limited testing and mixed results, there are some errors.

It did show some very fine detail better, my sample files had lot of single pixel highlights from sun reflected in snow crystals, and those did look better in the AI enhanced photos.

However, at least with those snow landscapes, purple fringing was a major issue in the AI enhanced photos (it did very clear nicely in the non enhanced photos).

It seems that ACR is applying chromatic aberation removal AGAIN for the enhanced DNG, thus producing that much purple fringing. When chromatic aberation removal is disabled for the enhanced DNG, it looks better.

See screenshot (top is enhanced, bottom is normal)

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 10.20.35.jpg

However, I am getting some major artifacts with it. Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 09.30.13.jpg

or this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 10.23.47.jpg

Might be GPU drivers related, might be a bug, whatever. Not much time for further testing right now.

___

Mac OS 10.13.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FrankWphoto,

As enhanced detail is a GPU intensive feature, could you please let us know the GPU installed in the computer?
Also, updating the OS might help.

Please check this article for more details: Enhance Details | Adobe Blog

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

so i am very happy for the new feature, but i have the same problems with colored artifacts.

I also tried different pictures, but it happens everytime but with different artifacts.

glitch.png

• Windows 10 (1809)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nik,

Could you please check if there is any update available for the GeForce RTX 2070 on nvidia's website and see if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i already did that. It’s all up to date.

I also updages windows and checked again with no success.

Best regards,

Nik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that, could you try unchecking Use Graphics Processor by going to Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Camera Raw Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your response.

I already tried that since Adobe has this long running history with graphic card issues..

Problem remains unfortunately:

glitch.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it's a known issue and our engineers are aware of it, would you mind adding your vote to this issue here? https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/enhance-details-causes-cut-out-squares

Enhance Details Causes Cut out Squares | Photoshop Family Customer Community Also, follow the thread for any updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Did that.

BTW, this is what the Adobe provided X-trans sample file looks like on my system:Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 19.24.33.jpg

The issue seems to be only with X-trans files, since 1-D X photos render fine on same system:

(top photo is normal, bottom is Enhanced details - notice the aliasing and clarity of the chainsaw lettering and logo which is gone with Enhance details. Overall, the difference with Bayer files seems to be much less then with X-trans)

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 19.40.09.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, to be really useful, Enhance details should be made available as an export option, instead of the intermediate step of creating another set of enhanced DNG files and then having to open them again and export them for print... I can live with a very long export time that would entail, but having to create another set of DNG files, import them into my digital asset management application and archival system, and open them again to export for printing is such a hassle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frank, At this point, Camera Raw does need to produce a new dng, as once the enhance details is used, it eliminates the original mosaicing, so you can't reset it and reprocess it again if the enhanced detail algorithm is improved. So don't delete your originals!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, I see. Thanks. So as stated in the other (feedback) linked thread, the enhanced DNGs contain the original DNG plus demosaiced data (locally adaptive demosaicing with some AI "magic"). That also explains why the files render fine in other software (which only sees the original DNG portion of it, not the new demosaiced portion).

Still, if the AI bits (and locally adaptive demosaicing) could be done entirely in memory, an option to forego the saving of the enhanced DNG and only exporting or opening directly the demosaiced version (e.g. as tiff) could still be useful - usually, the enhance details would be the last step in the ACR processing queue anyway, with the original raf/cr2/dng... raw files kept in place for archiving, and without a need for intermediate file.

Or it would be useful if the standalone DNG converter could do the enhancement directly when converting multiple raf files to dng, so we could just leave it working while cooking dinner. Although I guess that would be a little frowned upon by the economics department at Adobe (getting a new feature essentialy for free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil, my system is Mac OS 10.13.6, Mac Pro, with upgrade to Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 GPU using latest Nvidia Web Drivers for Mac (387.10.10.10.40.118) and CUDA driver (410.310). I could try with the stock GPU that came with it, but since disabling GPU for ACR seems to do nothing, I'd rather not go that route - switching the cards is a major hassle.

Disabling GPU use for Camera Raw made no difference with X100T files.

What's more strange, is that opening the enhanced DNG in Mac OS Preview or Capture One 11 shows the corrupted thumbnail for few seconds, but renders the final image fine. Unlike ACR, which opens the file as corrupted even when opened from ACR into Photoshop. Although that makes sense, I guess, since the DNG is going to be demosaiced "classicaly" by all other software then ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see any errors here on GTX1080. I quite like enhanced luma details. The tradeoff is lost color details, especially in shadows. Also some color tones are shifted after conversion, but that seems to be the general issue of DNG format. Checked on files from 5D3, A7R3 and some Lumix ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines